Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brrrr, It was only 40 degrees this morning on the ride to work here in Wisconsin. It is only supposed to get up to a high of 50 degrees today and the wind is blowing pretty good. A definate chill in the air.

Starting to think about putting the motorcycles up for the season and getting the snowmobiles ready for winter.

When I put the bikes away for the winter, I always take the batteries out and store them inside the house. I add some stable to the gas and put the covers on them. Then they get moved to a back corner of the garage until spring.

Is there anything else that I should be doing to the Goldwing before I put it up for the winter ?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Winter will be here before you know it! Assuming you do your normal maintenance before you put them to bed, oil, antifreeze changes and so on why not keep the battery in the bike(s) and invest in a Battery Tender. You won't have to take the batteries out, will keep the battery up without over charging and come Spring, put the key in, hit the started and away you go! :)

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
I store a big pile of running bikes. I have a bunch of alligator clip leads. I hook them all together in a parallel chain and hook up the 2a charger. its not powerful enough to hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I do the same except I've always left the battery in the bike hooked up to a battery tender ..never had any issues with it

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
A conector on each bike(2) and switch every 2 weeks between them with a battery tender.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have considered a battery tender. That way I could keep one of the bikes up close to the garage door for them indian summer rides :)

I have a couple boats too and always take the batteries inside for the winter. Seems they last longer that way. I have a back room that is cool and dark but never gets below 50 degrees, so no problem storing batteries.

Do yo guys do anything else ?

I have thought of putting a piece of plywood between the front tire and the concrete floor when the bike is on the center stand to keep the front tire off the freezing concrete.... Seems like it would still be on freezing plywood, but would it be any easier on the tire ?

First season storing a Goldwing and want to know that she won't resent the winter storage when I ask her to start up again in the Spring !!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Forty degrees is cold to ride? :shock2:
Why last year I was in the mountains East of Medford when it was 28F. It was so warm I turned down my Gerbings gloves and jacket liner.:action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
What's this putting your bike away for the Winter stuff you speak of? I don't understand. :baffled::D

John

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
What's this putting your bike away for the Winter stuff you speak of? I don't understand. :baffled::D

John
I'm with you John, if it's not snowing and there's no ice on the road, i'm on the bike.

·
Biker for life
36 Posts

John
+ 1 here too..........:ROFL:
& + 1 on the battery tender.......... we had a warm summer here in the UK, If I recall it was on a thursday!!!! :grin::action:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

John
I'm with you there, I've ridden into town at -5C and in blowing snow to insure the cage when heavy snow is predicted.

My longest snow layup was 30 days which caused severe PMS.:shock:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts

John
I don't understand either. I just put an extra layer on and switch to a helmet with a face shield and press on. If you ride it, you won't have to winterize it. :)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have known when I posted that I would get some razzing from the Polar Bear Bike Club :rolleyes:

Maybe we should start a "How Cold is Too Cold" thread

Thanks for everyones input !!

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Freddie,i always make sure to put mine on the center stand to.Keeps the weight off of the tires.Our racecar tires get "hard" quick,so we try to use them up before the season is over,but the ones we store,we wrap them in saran wrap.Hoosier sez that saves them by keeping the air from drying them out.I've threatened to wrap the bike tires too for the winter but haven't yet.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Ive ridden when actual temp was 18degrees, last weekend at diggers on our leaf ride it never got above 43 all day, and when i left sun morn it was 28 according to bank clock temp....no heated gear for me either...
Our bike hasnt sat over a couple wks since march 2011, always just put her away with tender on her, she was ready to go when needed.. Keep riding her!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

John
John, you know where I live ,right? have you been here in October- march?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
John, you know where I live ,right? have you been here in October- march?
Hehe, yeah I know where you live and I don't ride in snow either, not on purpose anyway. Just having a little fun with the OP. ;) I don't ride a lot in the Winter months either. Rain is OK, cold is OK, but rain and cold together, I'll take the cage. It's pretty rare for my bike to sit more than a couple of weeks even in the Winter months though, thanks to our mild weather down here at sea level. :cheesygrin:
John

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I remember a few years ago, coming home from Arizona and riding thru Kansas. The air temp was 3* and looked like snow was coming. I had no electrical clothing and is sure was cold. Woke up the next day and sure enough, some snow on the ground, but I didn't have to worry, the bike was frozen up and wouldn't start even with a jump, starting fluid or a kick to the tires. A fellow let me stick it in his garage for the night, started up the next morning, I don't remember the temp. but it was still cold out, weeks later I was still cold thinking about that ride, still am.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.