Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm still using the 1800 for the daily commute but it's getting down to my temp limit. The temp was 21* when I left the house this morning. I was layered up and with the rain gear on and while I was not really "cold" I was getting chilled by the time I got to work (no heated gear). I do have a "Balaclava" which I wear under ther fullface helmet and it is awesome in keeping the head and neck warm!

Overall assessment: Brrrrrr.....

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Your a brave man John.....

I would be so afraid of Black ice, Frost on the roads that I just can't bring myself to do it...... Maybe on the highway, I have done that before, but the back roads around here can have frost build up on them till the temps get into the high 40's.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your a brave man John.....

I would be so afraid of Black ice, Frost on the roads that I just can't bring myself to do it...... Maybe on the highway, I have done that before, but the back roads around here can have frost build up on them till the temps get into the high 40's.
Pretty dry here right now with no frost or black ice issues on the roads I travel although I am very cautious. I also think that this is about as cold as I go. My durango is down (belt, alternator and tensioner) and it's too cold to work on it out in the driveway (no garage) so I've been pushing the envelope with riding for the last week or so leaving the Accord at home for the wife.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
John when you have ICE hanging from your fingers it's time to use the CAGE!!! It was 28* this morning, but I only have 10 miles each way.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I never noticed till I started riding longer distances the difference in road surfaces and conditions from are to area. Around here, the roads get wet spots at night, even during cold dry conditions. The roads were wet this morning when I woke up and it was 29 degrees and clear.

When I went to Arkansas for N5 this past summer, it started raining during my last few hours of riding, the roads in Arkansas when wet are like Ice compared to the roads around here. They get a little slick here, but in Arkansas, they were literally like ice.

Snow here is and inch of ice first and snow on top, closing everything for days, in upstate NY, an inch of snow is an inch of snow and pretty much will go unnoticed.........

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
and i thought i has brave at 32 last night wearing summer gear wiyh freeze out balacova, jacket, and glove liner.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
John, I will let you use my heated gear if you need them.
Bernie

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...The temp was 21*...with the rain gear on...
What kind of rain gear are you using? I wear a (non-heated) First Gear 1pc suit for the really cold riding, and am comfortable down to 15F even.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of rain gear are you using? I wear a (non-heated) First Gear 1pc suit for the really cold riding, and am comfortable down to 15F even.

TourMaster Defender 2 piece.
It takes me about 45 min or so to get to work. Some of that time is spent going 75-80 on the slab so windchill is a factor too.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts

TourMaster Defender 2 piece.
It takes me about 45 min or so to get to work. Some of that time is spent going 75-80 on the slab so windchill is a factor too.
Well I got motivated and took the plunge a little while ago. Temp was 40, and I just went out in jeans and an insulated jacket. Rode to town and back, (30 mile ride), at 65/70 down US 31... Not too bad, but I'm thinking insulated coveralls would be much better... ;-))

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...was 13F this morning when I left out for a ride.
Lined leather work gloves inside my Vetter Hippo Hands.
Layered; two pairs socks, insulated hiking boots, long-johns, flannel-lined jeans, two t-shirts, thick hoodie, Gericke jacket w/liner, balaclava from the leg of sweat pants.
No helmet.
No electric.
No chemical pocket warmers.

Bike ran well-enough for being as cold as it was leaving out. Ran better on the way back home, though it warmed-up a bit. The two-barrel is no one-barrel and it does make a difference in this kind of cold.

The ride felt as good as ever. 1st pic is about 10-15 minutes after I got home. 2nd pic is mid-afternoon carwash. Note the icescicles?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Pretty dry here right now with no frost or black ice issues on the roads I travel although I am very cautious. I also think that this is about as cold as I go. My durango is down (belt, alternator and tensioner) and it's too cold to work on it out in the driveway (no garage) so I've been pushing the envelope with riding for the last week or so leaving the Accord at home for the wife.
Your so funny :ROFL:
It's too cold to work on the Durango so I'll ride the motorcycle instead :ROFL:

I know what you mean though, I do the same thing. Too cold to work so I'll go riding!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts

overall assessment: Brrrrrr.....
I'm still riding several times a week and (so far) the temps have got'n down to 15*. I'm not as layered up as you John but my clothing I picked out was specifically for riding the bike. It maybe a little color uncoordinated, BUT HEY, I'm warm.
BTW... Last year I was good down to 7* F.
My wardrobe? (nothing heated)
T-Shirt (If it gets colder, long-sleve T-Shirt. Colder still, a sweatshirt)
The coat? A wind breaking, water proof coat. (It has a removable down filled vest)
A rather thin ski-pant black bib. (Extra pockets near the top. Perfect for the cellphone)
Thermal socks and my summer tennies. (YAH, I have boots but prefer tennies)
Thinsulate, snowmobile 3 finger gloves. (IF it gets colder, cheap jersey gloves inside the 3 finger gloves works great)
Fake fur trapper hat. With or without the full face ski mask. (I'll wear a helmet when it's needed)
One point a lot of folks miss. Don't ride behind any other vehicle.
The turbulence messes up the bikes dead air space behind the windshield.
Odd as it sounds, the faster I go the warmer I feel. Probably cause that dead air space gets larger.

OK, now listen to Dean Martins version of, "Baby, it's cold outside".

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
I have to Second the FirstGear stuff. Keeps much warmer than my old Tourmaster gear....

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.