Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that I have the wing apart for maintenance, I have a few more questions:

If I let the wing sit for a week on the side stand and fire it up I get some moderate to heavy blue smoke out the tail pipes about 10 seconds. She only has 70k miles and a solid maintenace history. Could it be the oil seeping past the rings on the lower side when on the side stand? I'm sure the valve guide seals are hard as nails at this point..could it be the seals?

·
751 Posts
imported post

Paul I have a 96 gl1500 se & I can tell you That If you are worried about a little smoke then your going to spend a lot of Money on you Bike onlt to have it happen again ! Its Like this I had a gl1100 Interstate & It only had 10,000 when I got it & It smoked & I asked Afew techs & They told me not to worry about it ,& When I traded the 1100 in on the gl1200 SE-i it had 58,000 on it & it too smoked & then I asked a few techs again & They said the same thing don`t worry about it & Then I got my gl1500SE & It too smokes when Left on its side stand & Sometimes when I put it up on the center stand ! When I got my 1500 it had 40,000 miles on it & Did it then & does it now @ 95-96,000 miles So this is what you can do when you ride your bike right before you shut your bike off Put it up on the centerstand & It will not smoke but always put it up on the center stand & see if this helps & Like I said your other 2 options are like this (1) Don`t worry about it & (2) Take your heads off of your bike & Redo the valve guides & Valves & This will cear up your smokeing for a little while maybe alittle longer & Then it will start to smke again Hey its the nature of the beast ! Also some of the 1800`s also smoke so the choice is yours !

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
imported post

I agree with Hummer... just about all the Goldwings do it if left on the side stand for a while. Just put it on the center stand when leaving it parked for any length of time and I think you will find the smoking will stop.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the very informative reply. I'm still getting to know my wing and thought it was a little strange for it to smoke like I described. I hada notion I may try to replace the valve guide seals but don't think I want to get into that repair now knowing most of the wings out there do the same thing.

Any idea where I can get a good price on rad hoses, plug wires and thermostat?

·
Administrator
58,152 Posts
imported post

I always park my 1500 on the center stand, it never smokes even after sitting for a few weeks.

If it is parked on the side stand though, it will smoke the next day a bit.

It is 'par for the course', ignore it.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
imported post

Paulz88GL1500 wrote:
Any idea where I can get a good price on rad hoses, plug wires and thermostat?
Here are a couple of things that I have in my notes for the 1500:

Radiator cap - NAPA 703-1406

Thermostat - NAPA 53308 (made by Stant)

Don't know about the plug wires. Are they bad? Have you measured them? Measure the resistance between the plug caps for each pair (1-2, 3-4, 5-6). They should read about 20k-25k ohms from plug cap to plug cap. If so, they are ok.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Several month in Rider magasine someone ask same question. All boxer engines when parked on sidestand have some oil leak through rings. So it normal. Park it on center stand.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I actually had a mechanic who was very familiar with Goldwings tell me that keepingthe oil level near the lower mark on the dip stick helps with this issue. Mine smoking was intermittent which he stated was more related to where the split in the rings ended up when the engine stopped than my valves. Considering what's happening with the oil level and its relationship to the cylinders, that makes sense. But keeping the oil anywhere but in the upper limit of the dipstick would drive me nuts. Idon't rememberwhat personality that is, but it hasearned me a few gray hairs.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to all...it's great being part of the Wing community...very helpful!

Paul

USAF Retired (Enlisted Security Forces)

Second Career-DoD COP

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm with oldwing on this one.my 1100 is the worst offender.
If i have the oil at the top line in the sight glass it smokes like crazy even if just parked at gas station to fill gas. run it at 1/2 way between the lines and never really smokes ever
Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,816 Posts
imported post

oldwing99 wrote:
Mine smoking was intermittent which he stated was more related to where the split in the rings ended up when the engine stopped than my valves. Considering what's happening with the oil level and its relationship to the cylinders, that makes sense.
I myself would take issue with what the mechanic said. Piston rings do not spin inside the motor, the placement of the ring end gap when installed is the way they will come out at tear down.

It is very important to stagger the end gaps when installed in the cylinder, engine rebuilding 101.

JD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

don't worry about it .if it clears when warmed up its not a problem.i use to worry about my head gaskets because my 88 would billow white smoke and drip water out the exhausts but it was just condensation build up and with 115000 miles on her when i sold her she proved me wrong.
glennuk

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 model I have owned for nearly 24 years. I park her on the center stand and if she sits for 3 or 4 days there is smoke when I first crank her. Always been like that and she did it again this morning before we rode to Daytona to the Speedway.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

That is one of the things with a flat/horizontally opposed motor. On the side stand if the oil is real full it can seep just a wee bit on the low side. Keeping the level at or a little below full-up. It takes very little oil to make a lot of smoke. I assume the level never drops so you know you are not going through a bunch. I would not worry unless it starts smoking when warm, all the time, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
re

Mine smokes on center, or side stand if i leave it for two days, or more. However, it never does it if I'm riding it regularly.
Well, one time i was at a stop sign and noticed a little smoke,but just one time. I'm not sure what that was from. I have 115k on the clock.
My buddy has a mint 94 se, his smokes on start up as well. I think it's just nature of the beast

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Just get a piece of wood and put it where the side stand goes down..I use 1" plywood pad..keeps bike upright and lots easier than fooling with the center stand.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
If all of the above is true, why do both of mine smoke only at the gas station when there are a bunch Harley riders there to see it? :);)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2000SE has been sitting for about a month on the center stand. I recently changed the oil and at the time I must've had a brain fart and overfilled by a about a pint. Next day I started and it was smoking a bit at idle and naturally I said "No way!!". I had filled it up to the top of the flat spot on dipstick. Will overfilling cause smoke ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.