Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi

does anyone know how much voltage we lose when trying to started in between temp. of 32'f and 40'f and what can i do beside changing to thinner oil grade, hoter sparkplugs .

could a battery warmer help?

lasers56:waving:live to ride again

ps":

oh yay

you guys living in quebec winter tires ends on 15 march here for people who want to start riding watch out because cops are handing ticket of 250$ if they want so be carefull

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

As far as oil etc, the 10-40 will be fine.

Batteries in bikes or cars behave the same in cold weather. They loose some cranking amps. Get yourself a 1.5 amp battery tender ( small charger that won't fry the battery or run it out of water )and keep it hooked up to the battery. Some of the ones you can get allow you to wire them direct to the battery & then you can connect/disconnect them with a quick connector.

I know Princess Auto carries them and maybe Canadian Tire. I bought mine at Princess Auto. Works like a charm.

Hotter plugs have nothing to do with making bike easier to start. Stay with the standard heat range of plugs. You can do serious engine damage with the wrong heat range of plug in the bike.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

lasers56 wrote:
hi

you guys living in quebec winter tires ends on 15 march here for people who want to start riding watch out because cops are handing ticket of 250$ if they want so be carefull
You surely don't think a motorcycle would get a ticket do you?

Were they even covered by the legislation?

I mean, we're only going to venture out a little way when there is no snow or ice on the road surface.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

oldgoat wrote:
lasers56 wrote:
hi

You surely don't think a motorcycle would get a ticket do you?

Were they even covered by the legislation?

I mean, we're only going to venture out a little way when there is no snow or ice on the road surface.
There seems to be some confusion on this.

I thought that there was an exemption where snow tires were not available. Then I read on another forum that motorcycles could be charged but there was an on-line exemption for people to allow them to escape La Belle Provence.

What were you expected to do on a drive to Florida? Arrive with snow tires or change them when you crossed into the USA?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

If its so cold that I need an electric battery blanket, I ain't goin' anywhere!!!

Actually, the bike should start just fine in those temperatures without doing anything special to it.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I agree with Gofastandfalldown, should start fine in cold weather.I have been riding my bike for the past week, -3C to -5C over night, full chokeon my 1100 and it fires right off when overnight cold, I am running Mobil 1 10-40. Motor cranks over at normal speed. I would suspect that you have a weak battery, worn starter, or poss an oil that is a little to thick when cold.:waving:

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

hi

does it look like this or the other

lasers56:waving:live ti ride again

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hi

in the workbook manual it specifys 10w-30 at -15c to 35c

what you think

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

hi

battery change to a new from canadian tire called motomaster eliminator power sports #27-1028

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

lasers56. With respect to your pictures. The battery companion is the one I'm talking about. That's the type you want to get. There are others out there with different names & looks but they all do the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.