Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cold weather. for you riders that live where its cold, buy a dipstick oil heater. remove dip stick and plug it in, works on a 110 volts. cost about $35.00 regards walkabout

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Do they work or are they a gimmick?
I bought one for my pickup in the mid 70's in NH and was a waste of money. Needed a block heater for the water or a oven type element under the oil pan if you wanted to heat the oil.
A lot depends on ambient air temperature, wind as well as volume to be heated.

·
Premium Member
'03 & '14 gl1800s
2,274 Posts
I used one a few years ago with a air cooled VW. It is not made to warm oil from cold. It is designed to plug in when you drive car in and park. It helps to keep the warm oil a little warm overnight to let engine start easier.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

They work. Had one as a standby in the 60's. The 200 W or 300 W magnetic ones would work on the Wing also. No they won't magnetically attach to the oil pan but will to the header pipe and the heat will rise.

I have ridden in cold but I don't think I will ride if I have to plug in the Wing.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Years ago used to put a 100 watt lightbulb under the hood from the garage outlet. Worked just as well. Do the same under the oil pan of the bike. Might be just enough to get'er goin.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I have a block heater in my Dodge Diesel and it works great. We used to have heaters in all of our cars when we lived in Montana.

However if I need a heater to get keep my wing warm enough to start then even with heated clothing it is to cold to ride!!

Henry

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Hanko I have a block heater in every vehicle except the Wing.

I agree, if the Wing needs a block heater ---> I am not riding it !

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Put your favorite brand of synthetic 10-40 in it and forget it. I use Amsoil in everything I own from my diesel truck to my motorcycles and lawn mower. If it won't turn over with that in it you shouldn't be riding. I found my limit one trip at -26º F. It was getting dark and the next part of the trip meant 86 miles over the mountains. Parked the rig and took a bus home. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Put your favorite brand of synthetic 10-40 in it and forget it. I use Amsoil in everything I own from my diesel truck to my motorcycles and lawn mower. If it won't turn over with that in it you shouldn't be riding. I found my limit one trip at -26º F. It was getting dark and the next part of the trip meant 86 miles over the mountains. Parked the rig and took a bus home. :ROFL:
Geez I won't even think of riding if its under 50 F out LOL. I have bad osteoarthritis plus my skin is very sensitive and dry so after working outside year round for 30 years I know my limits. I do envy the guys I see riding when its in the 20's around here though and since gas went way up I see a lot more of them.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Like to keep block warm

Its being an exceptionally cold winter. Just want to keep my wing engine warmer with out a large gas bill heating my garage. Natura gas has sky rocketed this season.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
heated gear

Just rode from Coos Bay OR to Redding CA and back. My heated clothing made the trip completely enjoyable. 36 degrees going over the siskiyou pass.

I only saw two other bikes on the interstate the whole trip!

Rayjoe

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I can't imagine cold enough weather to need a oil heater on a motorcycle that I'd be willing to ride in even with my Gerbings gear. I've ridden in 28F weather comfortably with the Gerbings but the Wing sure didn't need any heater to get started. I've never needed additional heat on a vehicle other than my '90 Dodge diesel which needed heat if the temperature was much below 30F but that was due to it's single battery. Gas vehicles shouldn't have any problem starting down to the low teens. The Wing doesn't have a passenger heater anyway so it's not like you need at tank heater to get instant heat in the cab on a cold day.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Ya, some of you guys are just plain funny! LOL

The only thing an oil heater does is keep the oil from turning to a thick goo that will not flow in the extreme colds. They do work, but most often not needed unless like -150F LOL
Yes, warmer oil will flow more freely, and bad oil in winter colds could turn to thick goo that just does not want to pump. Of course though you should have changed your oil if needed so you are ready for the winter temps!

I had a great 67 OLDS 425 or 455 CBI back in the late 70's and I never had a problem starting it because I maintained it well! In Ohio I was out on some really nasty days giving folks with newer cars a jump start because their new cars could not start in like -15F but yet my old 67 never gave me a problem!

I never used an oil heater nor a block heater for coolant and never have had any trouble starting an engine of any type in severe cold and I lived in OH, WI, WV, PA, etc..... And if you get colder weather than we got there then you would be just plain nuts to try to ride in it!!! LOL
YA, -15F and a normal engine starts and runs fine for a car or truck, you'd be nuts to ride a bike in the -15F or less! LOL

Now in reality maybe it is not a bad idea to have a heater of some type for the wing when riding in 0F-20F weather. Any heat will help the oil flow better at a cold startup.
After sitting over night and a cold start that is when most wear will occure do to lack of oil that has drained out and is now thick in the pan cold and not wanting to pump so easy.

A heater or just the correct oil either one works about as well.
I never rode under 20F yet myself unless my engine was already warmed up and running before he temps got so low. Like 19F or less I was half way home or better from a long trip so the wing was already warmed up when it was about 30F out. LOL

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Way back when I had bought a used car with a block heater already in it. A really nice thing to have when it dropped below 0, but not a necessity. For my m/c? Not a chance. I store it from Oct. to April.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the 100w light bulb under the crankcase is a reasonable option. About 50 years ago I
Saw my uncle take a 2 gallon can of kerosene and stuff a rag in the small pour spout of the metal can. Made a long burning torch that he slid under the crankcase of his old car. Kept the car warm enough to start in the morning in the dead of winter. Don't think it's an option for your scooter.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
A small diameter heat lamp up fairly close and focused on the oil pan will keep the engine toasty warm in your garage, or reasonably warm not in a garage. Remember you don't have to see a temp of 75 to make the engine happy...you only need to keep it in the mid 40's to guarantee avoiding the possibility of excessive wear and the battery struggling at start-up.

BTW: The good quality dipstick heaters work fine, but they are designed to keep the oil warm, not to bring it up from frigid temps. They are commonly used in aircraft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.