Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the weather has gotten colder when I first start the bike the throttle will stick at almost any position from idle to 3,000 RPM. The carbs were cleaned and the bike has ran great all summer. Just completed a ride of 1100 miles about 6 weeks ago and no problems. It was just in the shop to get an oil seal replaced and the cables and linkage was inspected and all appeared well. The problem was gradually increasing prior to going in for the seal replacement so I had asked my mechanic to check it out, He pulled everything off the top and could not find any reason for the fault.

Once the temp get down to 40 degrees the sticking problem starts. If I leave it on the fast idle it will finally return to regulad idle. I can manually return the throttle to idle. Once the bike warms up everything is OK. All opinions are welcome and appreciated. Its a 93 Aspencade with 102,000+ but runs really well, I installed new plugs before we took the trip. 38-40 MPG after we got south of the W Va turnpike, Tn & Ky was beautiful.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Could it be the throttle sleeve is sticking on the handlebar? Maybe it has grease in it and it gets stiff in cold weather.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Once the temp get down to 40 degrees the sticking problem starts. If I leave it on the fast idle it will finally return to regulad idle. I can manually return the throttle to idle. Once the bike warms up everything is OK. All opinions are welcome and appreciated. Its a 93 Aspencade with 102,000+ but runs really well, I installed new plugs before we took the trip. 38-40 MPG after we got south of the W Va turnpike, Tn & Ky was beautiful.
Something is sticking.
As Dave said "throttle" barrel or
Cables or
Throttle shafts.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
You might take apart the twist grip and check the cable ends, giving the cables a good lube-up. May well solve the issue and is pretty quick to do.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Once the temp get down to 40 degrees the sticking problem starts. If I leave it on the fast idle it will finally return to regulad idle. I can manually return the throttle to idle.
First thought would be the choke enrichment rods sticking. You cannot verify that unless eyeballed with a bunch of plastic removed. If you are correct in meaning that with the throttle you can always get it to slow would mean one or both of the throttle plates or linkage (throttle-cruise cable manifold included) might be tight or sticking. There were a couple different cruise off cable routings over the years if memory serves correct.

That said, on my 88 have something similiar in cold weather with cold engine. Only with bike moving and switching gears the RPM hangs for 1-2 seconds regardless of RPM (higher or lower) at shift point, does not happen with bike stationary in neutral. Many cars of that era had devices to limit abrupt closed throttle for emission and driveability purposes. In my case I believe it has something to do with a carburetor control unit acting from the various sensor inputs. I do not ride with temps below 25f and occurs in the 25-35 degree range. There are not many of us who will brave those temps and might go under reported.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Since the weather has gotten colder when I first start the bike the throttle will stick at almost any position from idle to 3,000 RPM...
Do you have aftermarket grips?... and/or a Manual Cruise Control (eg Vista Cruise)? If so, then look for interferance between the rt-hand switch housing and either of those items.

Try removing the throttle barrel (eg The rt-grip) and verify that there's no glue residue in there... Sometimes, when adding a new grip, some glue will get stuck there, causing the throttle to stick. With the cables detached, the grip should spin freely.

While you have that throttle barrel removed, try manually-pulling on both the throttle cables, verifying that they operate smoothly... That will isolate the problem to either the grip, or downstream of there in the cables and the carb.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I think Dave and Alex are on to your problem. I put some heated grips on 2+ months back and the throttle would catch ever so slightly on the low end. It wasn’t terrible but I planned on replacing the original grips anyway. Dusty Boots recommended that I lube the throttle sleeve and throttle cables when I put the new grips on. So whether my heated grips wiring was slightly binding, causing the problem or old/lack of lub on the cables and such caused it, it worked fine when I put the new grips on.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I too am with Dave and Alex.
Gummed-up old petroleum lubes will cause what you're describing. Consistently, after it heats up the problem goes away, right? The only way to correct the problem is to clean out the old lube and put something else in its place.
I ride all year long here in SD, and a petroleum lubricant used in the cables will have me side-lined before long once the teemperature drops to freezing and below no matter what. I've had to use a graphite based "lubricant" (if called such a thing) to keep on keeping on in the winter. Snapped a throttle and clutch cable last winter because of gummed-up petro-lube that had the cables getting harder and harder to operate.
I use Lock-Ease to lube my cables; throttle, choke, clutch, speedo and tach.
Flushing the cables free of any and all petroleum is what I've done. It is a time consuming process to get the stuff out. A world of difference in the cold though, so worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.