Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone. I recently did a belt and head gasket change on my 1100 and changed the oil while I was at it. I used Rotella because some forum members suggest using a diesel grade oil. The weather has turned quite a bit colder over the last few days in the mornings and now I am experiecing starter clutch spin. I have read some other threads here that suggest going to 10-40 so i was wondering if there is a specific brand/type of oil I should use.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I really don't see howgoing from 15-40 to 10-40 is going to help you much. I had that problem with mine. Below 50 degrees getting the clutch to engage to crank was an iffy situation. What helped me more than anything was an engine flush using a product I got at Walmart. Don't remember the name but any good engine flush should help. then try your 10-40 oil....

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I am running 20w50 in my 1100 with an outside temp averaging 40 degrees. The bike starts and runs fine! The manual does state that in this temp range to use 10w40. I am using dino oil.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as you are aware starter "spin" is common in these older wings, especially as the temp cools, or maybe it is because they are more likely to sit longer in cooler temps, sometimes a thinner oil will help, and, a little MMO flush doesn't hurt either

everyone has their favorite brand of oil... but having said that, using oil is always a good thing

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Retiredintime,

I'm curious about something, I had always heard concerns that using the engine flush could cause some loss of seal around the rings, did you notice any smoking for awhile after using the flush?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Image below is from the Honda GoldWing 1980-1983 Service Manual. At approximately 32 F is the time to change to 10W-40 oil.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.