Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looking for your opinions and recommendations on a quality product for riding gear, top coat and bottom pants. Gloves too, but have been suggested to get a glove with a thinsulate liner, gortex interior and leather exterior. No idea on which brands are the best either. If you can recommend, would appreciate any information.

I have a coat that doesn't do well in breaking down the wind and keeping the cold out. It also doesn't reflect. I was wondering what experience you have had with cold weather riding gear and if you have any recommendations on suits or seperate pieces.

I also have a 3/4 Shoei Helmet with no face shield. It gets cold on those windy days. Any recommendations on a shielf addon would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,640 Posts
imported post

Can't answer your question just yet, but I will move this to the General Discussion area where it should get better coverage.

Lots of help along soon.

John

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

I wear a TourMaster 3 pcs Jacket - The outer jacket is mesh, the inner two layers are a rain layer and then a thermal layer. When it really gets cold I add a windbreaker jacket (North Face, L.L. Bean, etc - many makes available) and/or a thermal undershirt. The key is just like going hiking or hunting in the fall / winter - layer, layer, layer.

For pants I wear full 80 weight leather pants, with jeans underneath. Again, if it really gets cold, I will wear thermal underwear.

A full, one piece rain suit will also cut a great deal of wind and cold, thus reducing the need for inner layers to some degree.

Hands and feet are probably the hardest to keep warm.

For gloves I get a pair of wind blockers (go to an outdoor sports store that sells good quality hiking / kayaking / climbing gear) with a pair of ice climbing gloves over the top. That way I have the layers, wind blockers, and yet keep the flexibility to operate the controls. When it is really cold I will purchase some of the thermal packs (the chemical kind where you snap them) and put them between the two gloves along the outside of the hand (by the knuckles, not the palm).

For feet I wear cotton sock with a wool sock over the top, and of course good boots.

I wear a full head/neck mask under a full face helmet. I also wear a hand knitted circular "scarf" around the neck (it's one piece circular, so no loose ends).

I'm usually good to about 15~20 degree F - with the windchill @55 mph I figure the gear is good to approximately -20 F. A lot of course depends on how long you intend to be out in the weather, if it is raining (wet will dramatically increase risk of hypothermia), and how much wind chill is present. Again, the primary key is to layer appropriately - bearing in mind you can always take some off and stuff it in the saddle bag. Pay careful attention to hypothermia!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Think electric heated gear. Heat, without the bulk of all those layers.

If it's cold, I'll wear my riding jacket, electric jacket liner over a long sleeve top.

If it's really cold, electric chap liners under my riding pants, over a pair of long underwear.

Heated grips, usually keep my hands warm in a pair of naked leather gauntlet gloves, or if extremely cold, electric gloves.

Oh ya, a neck 'gator', or a thin balaclava works well to keep the chilly drafts off your neck, sealing in the warmth.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

I use the Tourmaster Transition jacket and electric gloves. If you can keep your hands and feet warm you've won about 90% of the battle. Since you have a 3/4 helmet I would recommend a good balaclava it's a hood that covers your neck and face that will fit inside the helmet. I also wear long underwear under my jeans and a sweatshirt hoodie under my jacket. I rode down to 18 degrees F last year and did fine.

Jeff

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

I second and third the heated gear. My hands get cold easily, and I've had a lot of trouble getting them warm enough in cold weather. I bought my heated gloves first. That was good, but I had to run them really hot. I found that once I got my heated jacket liner my hands also stay much warmer without much help. Gerbings makes some great stuff.

John

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

The heated gear really works well. I recently bought some of the Tour Master Synergy stuff. We got to test it out this week riding in the rain and hail in temperatures in the 30’s. My wife has the jacket and pants liner and I have the vest.

My wife even stayed warm except for here feet. The pant liners have connections for heated socks, but Synergy doesn’t have them. What’s with that!

The pant liners are a little inconvenient because they are kinda bulky under your pants and warm when you stop for lunch. I find that wearing the vest seems to warm the rest of me up, but I will most likely pick up the heated pant liner for myself.

I think the heated gloves are too stiff so I use my Gortex ski gloves when it’s really cold, but then my hands don’t get cold very easy.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
imported post

I just bought a pair of the HJC insulated snow mobil bibs that were recommended to me. I have yet had a chance to try them but they sure look like they will do the trick. For about 80 bucks not a bad price. I had good luck with my woolie chaps but they did not keep the boys warm. So I went to the bibs.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

We use electrics, Gerbings for us, but there other brands are acceptable also. Keeping your core warm is critcal for cold weather riding.

I use a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants. Along with longies and electrics I find temerature is not the deciding factor in when I stop riding, ice and snow are.

My wife uses a Rev'it Angel jacket, Gerbings liner, and Gerbings Union Ridge overpants. She's good down to the 30's, but doesn't like to leave if it's really cold in the morning.

We both use Gerbing gloves, hers clasic mine G3

A trip over to MotoMarket might be interesting some time. If youi go on Thursday evening, they are open 'til 8, and there are usually a lot of interesting biles there.. Old BMW's, DUcatis, and so on.. not your loud pipes crowd, or your usual squids.

http://www.motomkt.com

Or, a ride to Venco in Louden might be interesting for you. Jim carries a lot of Gerbing stuff, so you can try & buy for immediae gratification.

http://www.vencowings.com

If you decide to got to MotoMarket some thursday, let me know. I go there sometimes..

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
The heated gear really works well. I recently bought some of the Tour Master Synergy stuff. We got to test it out this week riding in the rain and hail in temperatures in the 30’s. My wife has the jacket and pants liner and I have the vest.

My wife even stayed warm except for here feet. The pant liners have connections for heated socks, but Synergy doesn’t have them. What’s with that!

The pant liners are a little inconvenient because they are kinda bulky under your pants and warm when you stop for lunch. I find that wearing the vest seems to warm the rest of me up, but I will most likely pick up the heated pant liner for myself.

I think the heated gloves are too stiff so I use my Gortex ski gloves when it’s really cold, but then my hands don’t get cold very easy.
I just saw that Tourmaster Synergy has boot sole liners that hook to the heated gear. Buttt.... they ar a bit pricy!

I will be adding the Jacket liner to our Synergy heated vest in a week or two.

YES... it gets cold in So. Cal. In the teens to 30's with snow...just 30 to 40 miles from the coast!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.