Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to chuckle yesterday!
Wife/yours truly [very senior citizens] take our Wing sidecar rig out as often as possible in cold weather, BEFORE first snow here [SALT is a KILLER on motorcycle surfaces; hard for me to rinse off in cold weather].
So, yesterday, t'was only 60 mile, 40-45 degree F., local area ride [a few days earlier, we made 108 mile ride[in same temps]to seacoast; enjoyed shoreline sights & clean sea air]. When stopped at small store to pick up a few grocery items, an elder lady was coming out door and said "Aren't you cold?" To which I replied "Does John Wayne complain about snow?" She went away laughing....a LOT.
And the second person who asked this later, was reminded by yours truly, that snowmobilers do this all the time in WINTER SNOW & SUB-ZERO conditions. The person got my [pun] drift! TTFN.....OLD papasmurf :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Good on ya Tom! Keep riding and enjoying the special attention! I'm still riding to/from work on most days in TN and I really enjoy the disbelieving comments I get. I may have to steal your "John Wayne" response!!!! Good one!

Funny how few bikes I'm seeing here in TN when the temps get below about 50*. I rode to work yesterday and it was below freezing here. Loving it!

:claps:

Had to chuckle yesterday!
Wife/yours truly [very senior citizens] take our Wing sidecar rig out as often as possible in cold weather, BEFORE first snow here [SALT is a KILLER on motorcycle surfaces; hard for me to rinse off in cold weather].
So, yesterday, t'was only 60 mile, 40-45 degree F., local area ride [a few days earlier, we made 108 mile ride[in same temps]to seacoast; enjoyed shoreline sights & clean sea air]. When stopped at small store to pick up a few grocery items, an elder lady was coming out door and said "Aren't you cold?" To which I replied "Does John Wayne complain about snow?" She went away laughing....a LOT.
And the second person who asked this later, was reminded by yours truly, that snowmobilers do this all the time in WINTER SNOW & SUB-ZERO conditions. The person got my drift! TTFN.....OLD papasmurf :waving:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Tom & John
Believe it or not, I get it for people here in SoCal Too! Even others that ride no less!
Then when I tell them of my trip back home to NH last fall and being there for the 2' snow event of the century Oct 30th and riding back with lots of 30-35 deg days and taking the long way back enjoying the back roads of W VA through E TN and into SC via the mountain roads some of their mouths drop. I even road up to Venco wings a week after the snow once the roads were good and washed and dried, still having snow banks and it being 42 deg out! Great times! Just have to dress in layers or if you have them, heated(I didn't).
Merry Christmas

BTW shouldn't this be in the general forum?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...snowmobilers do this all the time in WINTER SNOW & SUB-ZERO conditions .....OLD papasmurf :waving:
Sub-Zero? Ehh, ...a walk in the park.
Of my many pics out in the stuff last winter, I like this one the best. That there ain't water. Freezing rain came through just as I was leaving one day:

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I remember one March or early April in '77 going to work in the high 30's at the parts dept at Nashua Honda(NH) and by 10:30 we had 6" of snow on the ground and they said it was going to just be a rain event before it happened, it was coming down real heavy so I asked the GM in he would watch the parts dept the rest of the day as I had worked under him the year before, he said sure so I headed out for home and the main road still had 6" of snow on it, just a slip slidin away for the 9 mile ride that was normally 15 min ended up 1 1/2 hours and I was drenched and froze.
Next morning awoke to 18-24" heavy wet snow that put out the power for a week at home, the power company missed the fuse link to my house off the main road that I lived on, power to everyone else but my wife and I. I was able to bring home a small generator from work to hold us over to run the pump and the fridge.
Yup life in the north 40.
Sure am enjoying winters here!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
From the above pic to later in the day, I had put the mitts on the bars.
A strange day. Not freezing rain and not snow. Was just ice crystals coming down. It was pretty odd.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Wow! You guys are tough. :cool2: Daylight rides aren't too bad but when it is still dark out, I'm bundled up fumbling for switches, wondering if I'm going to hit a patch of ice I can't see until the last minute is a little disconcerting. The other thing that cuts into my pucker factor is sand on the roads. Some of our roads are like a beach with so much sand, not to mention salt and chemicals, so that kind of moves my option to 4 wheels............so I can still ride next year! :action: My hats off to you guys that can keep it up but I need more optimal conditions.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
papasmurf here again. Your posts reminded me of a Feb. ride wife/yours truly took in about '06. We had our snowmobile suits on and just LOVED all the open mouths we passed, LOL! T'was in mid-'20s, sunny & dry, as that winter, we had almost zero snow here in NH. Gotta Love it! TTFN & MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL....papa

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I was out for a similar ride Friday and had two people ask me that same question. I saw two or three bikes around, but as OLDRIDER said, I'm sticking to the daylight hours to avaoid the sand traps and black ice.

Today - well I guess the cage is the way to go. Fisher Minute Mount to lead the way.:waving:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Granted I dont live up north. But my coldest day yet has been 17 degrees. I dont care about the cold as long as there is no rain/snow/sleet/hail. I am curious what is the coldest i could manage in.

BTW on one 17 degree day i just wore my summer jacket with a windbreaker....... I was curious if i could manage it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...this year, the 'scicles are hanging around:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
My bigest complaint is my faceshield fogs up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.