Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I'm a sucker for new tools and this sounds like something i need. I have an 85 aspy that i just pulled the carbs and basically just cleaned up. 85 was idling very rough prior to cleaning. Now it idles and runs good, but i want to make sure the pilot jets are set correctly. i don't have a tach that will show 50 rpm changes, so i was looking for one when i happened on the post that was talking about COLOR TUNE.

Does anyone else have any experience with this tool ??

i did a google search and found this .... http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/3448

Does it really work ???

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

EZE, that is the same colortune that I have. I have gotten mixed opinoins from people on it, but I have used mine quite alot and absolutely love that tool! I dont have the ear or finese that some of the carb tuning guys have for setting the air idle, and this tool takes 90% of the guess work out of the equation. after your engine is at operating temp, remove the plugs one at a time and screw in the color tune. start the engine back up, turn out the lights in the garage so its fairly dark. then adjust that cylinders pilot screw out 1/4 turn at a time letting the engine stabalize between each adjustment until the color tune shows a yellow orange flame in the cylinder indicating a rich mixture. then adjust the pilot screw back in until you achieve a bunsen blue flame and your,e done. some people dont care for the colortune, but it has worked well for me everytime ive used it. Thats also not a bad price for it either. i think I paid a bit more than that for mine. if you have any other questions I can help with about the colotune you can pm me anytime.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

EZE wrote:
OK, I'm a sucker for new tools and this sounds like something i need. I have an 85 aspy that i just pulled the carbs and basically just cleaned up. 85 was idling very rough prior to cleaning. Now it idles and runs good, but i want to make sure the pilot jets are set correctly. i don't have a tach that will show 50 rpm changes, so i was looking for one when i happened on the post that was talking about COLOR TUNE.

Does anyone else have any experience with this tool ??

i did a google search and found this .... http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/3448

Does it really work ???
EZE, I haven't ever used a color tune on a 4 cyl Wing but have tried one on my Harley & a couple of other motorcycles. I didn't have a great success with it, either on my Harley or friends Yamaha. While I could get the color to adjust out OK it didn't run as I expected so had to richen a little form the color tune setting to get good smooth throttle response & even pull under light throttle load. On the Wings, using the idle drop method is probably as good as you can get as that sets the power even not just the burn rate.

I don't exactly use the book method to do the idle drop as I have found that to be slightly uneven when finished as the first carb in the setting sequence is set against 3 other uncertain carb power settings. I do the basic book drop setting first, then re-do it again starting with the carbs at the first best idle setting. That way all the idle speeds are dropped from the same even idle setting. That leaves any carb to give the same RPM drop when turned in 1 turn.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the response dburnash and twisty. I think i'll try the rpm drop first, if i can find a tach that will do the job without costing an arm and a leg. twisty, do you have any recomdations for a tach and were to get one ??

i still may have to get the color tune. dburnash, have you used it on any thing besides motorcycles ??

glad to see that i'm not the only one who owns both a Harley and a Goldwing....

i just like motorcycles..... there is good and bad with all of them.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

I,ve only used it on my bikes. the threads on the color tune wont fit autos although you can by an adapters that screws on the end for other thread sizes.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

EZE wrote:
thanks for the response dburnash and twisty. I think i'll try the rpm drop first, if i can find a tach that will do the job without costing an arm and a leg. twisty, do you have any recomdations for a tach and were to get one ??

i still may have to get the color tune. dburnash, have you used it on any thing besides motorcycles ??

glad to see that i'm not the only one who owns both a Harley and a Goldwing....

i just like motorcycles..... there is good and bad with all of them.

thanks again
EXE, there are lots of tacs around that will read down to 50 RPM but anything that is fairly accurate & reliable probably isn't cheap. I use an old Snap-On inductive pickup that I can set the pulses perrevolution so it will work on anything from a lost spark car, to a 2-cycle outboard motor, to a 2 cylinder John Deere tractor, to a lawn mower.

Twisty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.