Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I keep threatening to go to Colorado. Never been.
Like to go this week or next before it gets too cold.

I am in Alamogordo, N.M. 88310
I could be in Northern NM or Southern Co. on a Tues evening.
I'm 4hrs. from Albuquerque and 8hrs. from Pueblo more less.

Could ride all day Wed. and Thurs.
Need to be back in Alamogordo Fri. night.
Work weekends and Mondays.

I'm 41, been riding all my life. But a fair weather rider no doubt. I have a trailer and would prefer to camp. If you know Co. great. If not, well...we'll figure it out along the way. Reply or PM me pls.

-Stv..

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

damn, If you would have posted this a little over a year ago and I was on.... I lived in Colorado Springs and would have jumped at the chance to meet up with you in my home town (Alamagordo NM) I love it there. It's beautiful. For camping in Colorado though, there's a place just outside of pueblo that is great, it's got sand dunes and such. If you just google pueblo co sand dunes, it should come up. There's a few places farther north that you can go to such as 11 mile lake and such. if your going to go up to colorado springs, I would recommend stopping by hellen hunt falls and old colorado city. Palmer Park is beautiful as well. Man I wish that I was still over there. Pueblo is a decent place, but it didn't give me that "clean" feeling. Not that it's bad, just it seemed dusty and dirty. Colorado springs is only an hour away from Pueblo. There's a park just off of the interstate called America the Beautiful park. It has a giant water fountain and lots of space. Down town springs there's plenty of good dining. Well, if you want more info, just PM me. I really miss the Rocky Mountains. :)

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Would love to go,my bike tore down for mat. and up grades till mid. week. have fun:action:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If you only have a couple of days, head to Durango and stay in the United Campground just outside the North end of town. Durango is in the SouthWest corner of CO, and it's a good stopping point to head from and see the sights along the San Juan Skyway.

Just North of Albuquerque, 550 takes you all the way into Durango.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

That's a great loop to go through. Lots of great rocky mountain scenery. If you like wine, there's a great vineyard in grand junction about an hour north of Delta (E on your map) Lots of great camping in that area as well.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

And twice a day this big guy comes through the middle of the campground on it's way to Silverton and back to Durango.

Attachments

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Where did you wind up camping at?

Great pics, I can't wait to visit the state again.... When I went in late May, there was still some snow on the mountaintops...

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Yep, been there a few times. Loved every minute of it. Glad you enjoyed the area too. Those pics are nice. Pagosa springs has a few good vineyards in the area as well. I think my wife's favorite wine is made in that area. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Those pictures were breath taking. So many of the places that C W McCall sang about you put to pictures. I wish I could've gone with ya but I'll get there someday.

Jeff

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,736 Posts
imported post

Very nice pictures, makes me want to go back and see it all over again, and again, and again.

Worked all over the southern part of Colorado for ten years. Tried to soak it all up, but it didn't keep.... :(

Now I'm moving to Oologah, OK and the trip is going to be a bit longer than it has been....

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Great photos! We were on those same roads two years ago. A really liked the the sweepers on Silver Thread Highway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.