Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning next springs road trip.

Per recommendations I expect to ride the "million Dollar Highway" and highay 50 from Gunnison to Poncha Springs.

my route planning software shows me const. on those to roads.

I spent a miserable 4 hours in Glacier NP in 2011 and learned to avoid mountain const. activity unless I verify in advance that traffic flow is maintained. I don't mind an occasional delay but 4 hours of 2-up stop and go on an inclined, broken road surface is something don't want to do ever again.

so, can anyone tell me how the riding is thru the aforementioned sections?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I have a list of sites and tele #`s for US and Canada for our RV travels. Here`s what`s listed for info in CO.
303-639-1111 or 511
www.dot.co.us/ or www.cotrip.org

Hope there is info for you. Ride safe.

Flyboy

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Last Spring I was in the Boulder area for about a week. The Peak to Peak Highway was beautiful. While I wasn't on the entire stretch, the parts I did see made me want to see more. We also were on Route 40 North of I 70 and really liked the scenery. IMO as long as you are in the Rockies, you need to go to Rocky Mountain National Park.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Those are great roads to ride, I've had the pleasure twice so far. That was in 2008 and 2009, and conditions were very good then.
Best thing you could do, is to contact transportation dept. and get the latest of conditions.
But I'll tell ya,,,,,,,,, you won't regret doing the MDH (Million Dollar Highway). Unless bad weather hits,, so watch the forecast close,, and then it can still get ya. Those mountains can be unpredictable.

PS,,,,,,, Keep in mind, when going through Ridgeway, you may like to stop in at the "True Grit Cafe" ,,,,,, if your a fan of "The Duke" ;)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Living here, I use www.cotrip.org heavily (as Flyboy posts)...

The first page of that site displays Travel Alerts and Road Work Alerts updated daily or more often to nclude forecasted construction as well..

Currently,
US-550 (Million Dollar Highway) shows dry, as does the Gunnison section of US-50
http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

This page (on that same site) will allow you to have a look for yourself. Page is slow at times, but having the cameras (still and motion) along with the local weather station data can be insightful.
http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

Here's a still from US-550 at Silverton (should update if I get this right):

and US-50 at Monarch Pass

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Planning next springs road trip.

Per recommendations I expect to ride the "million Dollar Highway" and highay 50 from Gunnison to Poncha Springs.

my route planning software shows me const. on those to roads.

I spent a miserable 4 hours in Glacier NP in 2011 and learned to avoid mountain const. activity unless I verify in advance that traffic flow is maintained. I don't mind an occasional delay but 4 hours of 2-up stop and go on an inclined, broken road surface is something don't want to do ever again.

so, can anyone tell me how the riding is thru the aforementioned sections?

CL,
Take some time to view the Black Canyon of the Gunnison from the top to the bottom. I believe a road exists that goes to the bottom. I missed this but will revisit next time through.

Glacier was interesting when I went through too, with the grinding compound type of mud eating away the rear shock seal that finally blew out in Chicago.

Lots to see in CO, UT.

Eyeball my album on Shutterfly of the 2011 trip west.

longboaterworld.shutterfly.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.