Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello one and all it's almost time to ride again..

i would like to know if anyone out there knows of fun roads or trips to take in colorado. i'm thinking of leaving minnesota this summer for about a week (ya i know it's short vacation) so i would love to find some real nice driving roads and some good fly fishing at the same time..

thanks for the info

the kanuck:clapper:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi kanuck 1000miles is that from new or what milage you have put on it

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

You need to go through Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Go to Estes Park, and enter from there. Here's Estes...

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

If you go through Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park from the east side, over Trail Ridge Road, and out on the south side at Granby , then travel south to Leadville and over Independence Pass to Aspen. Don't stay in Aspen, but go on to Glenwood Springs. From there south through Montrose, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. That's a lot of riding in a week though.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Geezergliderhas it layed out well. He has you doing the Million Dollar Highway and as long as the weather permits,,, you won't regret it. But you will have to keep moving to cover all that ground and get yourself back home in a week. Not saying it can't be done.

I went to Durango then headed north into Wyoming and crossed into Montana and then back home to Pa. in just under 2 weeks.

Plan your routes and what the mileage would be. Then think about how many miles your willing to do in a day. I averaged the 500 mile mark. Some days were 600-700 while others were 300,,,,,, that way I had time to gawk and take in the beauty.

Your going to receive a lot more advice on this one. These guys&gals love to help.

Lots of pics,,,,,,,,,,we demand them:cool:

Best of luck on your trip.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I have been thinking about a Colorado trip myself, and was planning on the Durango/Silverton Train ride, but as far as having my trip mapped out, that hasnt happened yet. As i live in Salt Lake City, I wasthinking of the Vernal route through Steamboatand then south. But Rockt Mtn Park looks great!!Can anyone recommend the Train? Is it all its cracked up to be?

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

I hear the Silverton is a great train excursion . I plan to make it one day of Montrose trip .

Not sure when thekanuck is planning his trip but if its Sept . please fit a day in with us all on the 2nd Annual NASSIR . ( more info in the Events forum )

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Trnpkcruzr, I'll give it a yes. I've made the train ride several time, and always enjoy it. Try to get a seat on the right side (facing the front of the train) and you'll be able to enjoy the scenery the best.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
You need to go through Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Go to Estes Park, and enter from there. Here's Estes...

Those pictures are just plain torture UBarW - damn I need a trip to the moutains :(

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Not trying to dissuade you, or anything, but you'll have to ride a bareminimum of 6hrs per day, for each of those seven days. Not going to leave you much time to stop and see/do anything. :baffled:

Have you thought of riding to the Black Hills Region of SD?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

hey agnogel..that would be since i got it...but i did go to montreal last summer so it's now about 3,000 and going up..

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

ok now i'm evev more confused..thanks alot..lol love the picture UBARW..wow..and just so you know i'm a fellow kanuck..from montreal but still a kanuck..living in minnesota..

well keep the suggestions comming ..love the way we all help out each other.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

No dusty i have not..the reason for going so far is because i'm also a fly fishing nut so i thought that colorado would be a great place

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The only reason I mention the Black Hills is that it would be a much more relaxed trip and they have some respectable fly fishing :action:

With the amount of daily mileage required onyour Colorado Trip, you wouldn't get much/any time to fish with only 1 week of vacation. The trip to Colorado would work a lot better with 2 weeks vacation. Like I said, I'm not trying to dissaude you, just trying to let you know the amount of riding you'll have to average, every day;)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Miles.From.Nowhere wrote:
Those pictures are just plain torture UBarW - damn I need a trip to the moutains
You and me both. There was a time when I'd call my wife from work and tell her to start packing, I was planning to leave for Colorado when I got home. That just doesn't happen these days. :(

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots is right that is a LOT of riding. Also jmo but
the train out of Durango to Silverton, if you are tired get a one way ticket and take the bus back to Durango. We did it both ways and were tired of the train ride before going to Silverton. We tried to sleep on it on the way back to Durango but that is impossible. We did a great summer trip last year.
We rode from Texas to Denver. We did not do the mountains on the bike but rode on up to Rapid City. I have to say there is enough in that area to keep you there for three or four days! and we spent only one day there. While it does not have the vistas of the rocky mountains it still have grand views and a history that is unique.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Sleeping on the train? I don't know anyone that could (or would) try. I have seen a couple of guys "passed out" on it before.

You are right though, the train ride IS a long day. I have friends (2 couples) that did the trip like this:

One couple took the train to Silverton and another couple rode up on a bike, once there, They swapped!

Both couples got a train and bike ride in the same day. Also, they only needed to purchase one set of tickets. It worked out well for them and is an option anyone should consider.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Norton:
Trying to sleep on that train on the way back was because we did not arrive at the Durango KOA until almost 3am. That is the reason.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.