Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought someone mentioned Honda Belts being Kevlar cord and that is the reason for the cost. So Google and I have engaged in a search for Kevlar cord timing belts for my 87 Aspy.

So far,

Gates NO

Dayco NO

Bando NO

Jason Industrial NO

and Honda is still trying to determine if their 14400MG9004 belts are Kevlar cord or not.

So anyone?? Is there a Kevlar cord belt?

If there is, my research leads me to believe it would be worth it.

And if there is, would the tension settings be the same as ordinary belts?

How is that for a crowd pleasing stumper of a question?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

OK I just hung up from talking to Paul with Dayco.

First, Paul rides a wing, 95 to be exact and I have invited him here.

Second, he tells me that Dayco does not have a Kevlar cord belt for the application and he would not necessarily recommend a Kevlar belt if they did have one. The Dayco 95070 uses a K Glass cord and is quite adequate. He also recommends changing out the tensioners when you change the belts and it makes sense to me.

So I am going to change out with Dayco belts and change my tensioners.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Makes sense about changing tensioners, but then again some tensioners rarely fail. Many car makers sell belt & tensioner kits and (for instance) some common Ford tensioners often fail at relatively low mileage (under 50k).

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Heard back from Honda as well. There are no Kevlar belts by Honda for my machine.

Oh well, interesting study and enjoyed the research.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey Eddie, I sent you a pm. I do make it to your town occasionally.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Some how I can't see changing out $80 tensioners if they are still smooth and tight. They are not too likely to fail without warning, I changed the pair on my 93 with almost 95,000 miles on them and they looked like they could go another 50-75k.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be too concerned at chasing up Kevlar belts. Kevlar is a bonding material and while it will make the cords in the timing belts stronger, teh rubber won't be any better, ie if you leave the belts unchanged for long enough the rubber will dry up and crack anyway, Kevlar cords or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.