Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I so want to ride, even if it is a trike.

Cold out, snow on ground (3-4"), slick spots, wife wisely says NO.

I recall heading out even in my late 50s when temperature was 28, sun shining, knowing it was gonna get warmer, feeling how good just 35 can feel after a number of miles and meeting the group and coffee up, head west. Long about 2-3pm, temps in 50s, looking for ice cream stop …. :D
One year, was over the mountain in McDowell for Maple Festival, see a lady with a box of fresh maple doughnuts, mention to wife how good they look, lady told me to have some. I did, she was cute, how to say no? Offered wife a bite, she took one. :D

I come here, I read, I dream of rides past and future (I hope), mourn some who I've lost, wondered how I worked a career and run a chapter an hour away for 6 years & had a blast doing it. I look at pictures from past trips, hundreds of them, see old friends, see some now gone & mourn some more, great times always. Think of all those miles, all those folk following me as I so often found myself leading, one eye on the mirror counting head lights several times a minute, listening at chatter on the CB, calling out hazards, always wondering if all would be OK at days end (and so far they all made the ride safely).

Here I am, happy to be here too (Thank the good Lord I do). Wife worries about me. (and I worry about her). I had a Lymphoma but good scans now 2 years since my stem cell transplant, nerve damage in left leg & foot from them shingles, balance fubar, extreme sensitivity to cold, BUT LIFE IS GOOD. Not feeling sorry for myself, just counting my blessings.

I still wanna ride.

Not on the cold snowy roads out there tonight, not even in a summer rain … but in the warm Spring sunshine. On dry roads. Locally is fine, no more long rides. Well, maybe day long rides, 2-3 days together. Yeah, I'm OK with that. ;)

Waiting on Spring I am. :)

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
I read your post, thinking much the same.
at 77 I have mourned the loss of quite a few friends now.

my balance is also FUBAR from the Penske semi truck that derailed me back in 2008.
It is a major accomplishment now, to just get up out of my recliner, and head to the bathroom w/o loosing my balance on the way.

Strangely enough, once I get on my 1800, my balance problems are gone. I took it out last week for a short ride at 53*F and that was the first time it had been started since August a year ago... Life got in the way... but, I wanted to find out if I can still ride it... and it seems that I can.

. my memory cells are woosey, I just now remembered that I rode the 1800 to southern Oklahoma last fall to meet up with DaveO430 and Ding Dong for lunch and a tour thru the local park... missed the Custom Car show, :(

but, it is now the start of a new year, and I hope to get out and ride some more.
my son wants me to go up to Dayton, OH where he is working, and spend some time with him... that would be great, hope to do that.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hope you get to make that trip to Ohio …. and a bunch more yet.

My balance is better than it was 6 months ago (I think until I turn left while standing, then ???) but due to numbness in left foot, I'm still not "the picture of poetry in motion" I once was. Some of that is due to a CNS relapse and an operation on my cerebellum I'm sure.

At times, I wonder if I maybe let the GL1200A get away too soon. In 2017 I had a stem Cell transplant and developed a really bad case shingles which plagued me through 2018 into early 2019, I got really weak too, felt uneasy on the bike like too easy to loose it at slow speeds, my skills were off too. I always had the bike in the basement in my shop, but I rode it up to rthe carport, I wasn't so graceful. I'v e regained most if not all my strength, I have most of my stamina back too I think … but still when I put that left foot on a step or ladder wrung, I wonder if it's there …. not good at a stoplight with a 700+ pound MC. I'm thankful, I can feel the shifter on my toes through the tingles, I can rock my foot too to shift. Trike is fun too.

Maybe …. if I had kept the `1200 .... but that water is over the dam …. and the ship has sailed. "Wife Unit" is happier.

Friend and co-worker where I worked part time after retirement from VSP once said I was better on that 1200 than anyone he'd seen because when the wheels started moving from a stop, he noticed my feet were on the pegs always and with no wobbling. He rides HDs. He didn't see me bringing the bike up to the carport that day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts