Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a bad back and after 100 mi. or so my back and butt would make riding really suck. It got so bad I thought about giving up riding and selling my bikes but that would drive me nuts everytime I would hear a bike go by. So I bought an air hawk 2 on ebay for $81.00.This thing works works great but I still had bad riding posture because of my back. I have a back rest on my 92 interstate butit was not enough so I bought a lowerback support beltfrom walgreens $30.00. Last weekend I did a 600 mi. trip with very little discomfort. This setup works great for me I can ride again! What works for you?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I like to get off the bike every few miles and take a nap. Not really, but gas stops are always welcome. The only time it feels good to me is when I first climb aboard.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I too have a bad back & neck. I installed a large backrest, and that did wonders for me. On long trips I use a gel pad... I always bring it along now actually anywhere I go. Being able to change positions helps a lot I find - do you have highway pegs or boards? Being able to stretch out the legs helps. On long rides when my butt starts to bother me I'll actually stand on the pegs for a while and get some air - looks funny I'm sure, but wakes you up. If you're not in a hurry to get somewhere, stopping every hour and a half and taking a short walk (or nap) is a good idea too.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes I have pegs but I find with the air hawk I dont have to changepositionsnearly as much. I dont leave home without it!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

Last year on the trip home from Eureka Springs, a 1200+ mile jaunt, I stopped every 75-90 miles and got off the bike.

sometimes I took a nap, other times I just walked around a bit until my legs woke up again. Usually though, I take a nappie.

Those little 10 or 15 minute power naps work wonders.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I like to stand on my pegs too, it helps the legs and butt. For my back (I have a back rest) I arch my back and also kind of stretch side to side (looks like I'm farting) while I ride, it helps alot.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

I find that "farting" always helps me to feel better on long rides and at 70 mph who cares.

:action:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I ride with a stock saddle and backrest. I stop every hour or so and walk around to get blood recirculating.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I guess I pretty much do what you all do above but I include the following;
Beaded seat for air and or water circulation in case of heavy rains down here.
Standing on the pegs and performing deep knee bends 10 or so.
Standing on the pegs straight legged and arching the back as far as it will go back.
Drinking copious amounts of water and or fruit or vegetable juice.
Compression long-johns on really long trips. (keeps the electrolytes in the torso)

Hope this helps
Ned

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

SaiBeer wrote:
I find that "farting" always helps me to feel better on long rides and at 70 mph who cares.

hahahahaahahha, i about spit my full throttle drink all over my puter on this one!!!! oh my god, some of youralls answers!!! lol!!!!!:ROFL: gotta admit tho, that was CLASSIC! keep on winginit rick

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I remember when I bought my 84 Interstate in 84, I road with a group of guys of different ages, when we would get to a destination I remember one older guy used to head for the nearest park bench, stretch out and have a nap..... well that was 27 years ago, guess who is looking for the park bench now :)

Back rest, custom diamond seat, and not the mileage I used to do either, but find I can ride a lot better than I can walk with the pinched nerve in the lower back.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Everyone is a bit different. I had the same problem as TJ1959. For me the ultimate solution is the Hartco Pro-Tour!
Check em out on line or give Mark a call 386 698 4668.
There is nothing like a true custom saddle made exclusively for your personal measurements, weight and needs. Pricy? Yes... butt yours will thank you after every long ride!

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

SaiBeer wrote:

Do you get any 'BROWN' noise on the intercom??? :D

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i bought my dad a back brace and a 12volt heat pad, i rigged them together and now his back pain is barely noticable before he would only be able to go a 70 or 80 miles before his back started hurting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.