Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Morning,

My wife and I are looking to buy a new 08 or 09 Goldwing. We are in our 50's and she rode a bike for the first time this weekend. It's been 30+ years since I've riden. After months of "NO WAY", she finally said "LET'S RIDE". My question is, are heated seats and Nav necessary? The economy as it is, I'm trying to be responsible about how much we spend, but I don't want to have a bike that has no resale value. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Never had a heated seat on my Wing, but I recently hung a GPS unit on the handlebars...which I do like if I have a specific location in mind to get to...like finding my way back home after an afternoon of playing "at the next corner, turn left/right and see where she goes!"

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Hi rexter and welcome to the site.

To be honest I don't think (and I could be wrong), that having a nav unit and heated seats will really make a big difference in your bikes resale value. Granted, it will give you the right and reason to ask more for it should you decide to resell it, that of course is offset by the fact that it will put off someone who is looking for the best deal on a bike.

Now I'm not qualified to deal with the issue of the value of them, I've never had a heated seat, so I don't know how much of a difference they make on a cold ride. As far as the nav system goes, I'm more old school and prefer maps, I do however acknowledge the times thay can be vey useful.

In any economy, the resale value of anything is set not only by the general economy of the time, but by the demand for the object in question, basically, it's a crap shoot.

My advise would be to take a serious look at what the investment means to you and your wife. Talk to the other members and find out how much of a benefit is derived from the heated seat vs. the cost of it. Will the two of you be doing enough cold weather riding to make it a worthy investment. As far the nav system goes, look at what riding you will be doing and decide if it will indeed pay for itself. These are questions only you can answer. If you find they will be worth the investment to the two of you go for it, if not, pass.

There is no way of knowing what the demand will be when it comes time to resell it, though more toys does add to the interest. For now, decide if they will make for a more pleasant ride for your wife and yourself.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

I have the heated seat and grips...and I like them.

There are lots of days here during the winter months, when the temps are in the high 20's or low 30's when I leave out in the mornings. At that temp the heat really helps ...

However as it gets into the 40's it is pretty easy to do without ...

So, I thinkit depends on what type of riding you plan to do.

It would be a lot of money to spend for occasional use.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

As far as resale value - hope more guys chime in here for you. I am on my first heated grip/seat bike - a 2008 Goldwing. The same with Nav - first time I've had it/used it is on my new GL1800ABS.

Nav to me is mostly a fun novelty - except when you are traveling to unknown areas - and even then you have be wise enough not to follow it verbatim or you'll waste some miles.

I tend to have learned riding a little more "old school" in that I can pretty much dress for anything - and have. BUT - in my middle age I am getting softer and using the heat more. It also gives me more flexibility and "forgiveness". Like -if I misjudged the comfort of the40degreeF weather and it feels ice cold on my mesh gloved hands (maybe due to humidity levels?) I can dial on the handgrip heaters and its not so bad. Dial on the seat and its a help too.

For me - ABS was a very important factor in added safety - so I was "forced into" taking all the stuff that builds up to that level. And I have no regrets - I love it all.

To me - it is all worth it. It makes being on the bike more fun, more entertaining, more comfortable - and that keeps me (and more importantly my wife) riding more.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

In all my years of motorcycling I never thought I'd hear "are heated seats and Nav necessary?".

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone for your responses. It certainly helps for a "new" rider to get friendly information from "educated" and experienced riders.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Hi rexter, welcome to the forum!

I bought my 2008 Goldwing last May. My last bike was a 83 Aspencade that I bought new and travel in Europe for five years (lived near Heidelberg, Germany) and sold it just before I came back in 1988, with plans to buy another as soon as I got back. Well that turned into 19 years later.

A couple of opinions, then I'll be quiet. I too looked at heated seats/grips and Nav, the only way Honda packages the extra, but the cost was way to high. Heated seats/grips would have been okay, but the Nav system is way to much, I think the package was aobut $2500 more. The problem with the NAV system (as it is in factory installed units in cars) is getting updates, very costly and sometimes they lag behind the portable units. Even buying the Garmin Nuvo 550 is only $600 and you get MP3 player, bluetooth and a lot more functionality than you to with the factory installed unit. I really wanted ABS, but since you have to have the NAV package on top of the ABS, that was about $3500 extra. I could have afforded it, but I felt that it just wasn't a good value for my money.

As far as heated seats, my butt doesn't get that cold, and if it does, I probably shouldn't be riding.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
In all my years of motorcycling I never thought I'd hear "are heated seats and Nav necessary?".
Morram is right you know...none of it is "necessary" except for perhaps the safety improvements to the modern Goldwing. I have an 08 Airbag model. It's got it all and I don't regret payingextra for it. It was my intention when I got the bike to get the top of the line.

Now, having said that, I have not used the Airbag, thank God! Who knows if it will actually work, although tests have shown that in certain collisions it could be a life saver. I just view it as a little extrainsurance.

Navigation...I started to use it once on a long trip, but the trip was cancelled so I haven't gotten to use it yet. I plan to, but it is not a have to have extra for sure. We love our Garmin in our cages though. What does erk meisHonda's price for software upgrades to their nav. It would definitely be a cost-safer to purchase a Garmin and attach it to the bike. Works just as well and Garmin's support is unequalled.

As for the heated seats and grips...since they're available, I wouldn't be without 'em. The grips absolutely save your hands in 40 degree weather...they stay nice and tosty. Haven't tried them in weather much below 40 degrees, but I can't imagine them not helping significantly. The heated seats are great too, but they seem to be of more benefit to the passenger than me. I have a sheepskin over both seats, but the wife says the heat that is generated through the rear upright is very warm. I sit on my a$$, so it keeps itself warm. I can't tell any difference, honestly.

My advice...get all you can afford...

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

How often and how far you going to ride? GPS, as far as I'm concern is a must. Ever get off the interstate at the wrong exit and onto a 4 lane and make the next exit, only to fine you can't get back to the lane you just exited. GPS will put you back in no time. Especially sometimes when I get off in the wrong kind of neighborhood or wrong side of town. I've been in the mountains and backroads, getting a little short on petrol, GPS has helped out more that once, likewise at night looking for the closest motel.
If you're gonna ride around the block, I don't think you need one, but for tripping, it's a great saftey factor.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I could be swayed into a GPS on a long trip. Maybe even like luddy says after getting lost in the mountains. But I've ridden back and forth across the USA and into Canada three times without it so it would be a hard sale. As far as the bottom warmer goes... I'm guessing the manliness of America has reached it's limits. I'll admit I'm a bit infatuated by the 1800 but if it had that feature I'd have to pull the fuse. Oh wait a second, my Triumph has a seat warmer. All that vibration friction warms my bunny up!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

hi,

i have a 2007 wing with the nav ,heated seat,gripsand abs brakes.i would not buy another bike without abs ionly hadto use itonce it works very well. but honda makes you buy a whole pkg in order to get abs. i did pay the extra money it was worth it to me. whatever way you decide you will love the bike.
the add ons will really kill your pocket book

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

I enjoy the heated seats and grips but I could live without them - even in this great white north country but I wouldn't think about travelling without my NAV. I don't have the built in though - I have a Garmin Zumo mounted on the handlebar. The Honda unit will not let you play with it if you are moving (could be a good thing but). The Garmin is workable all the time. :action:.

Ride on and WELCOME to this great site!

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

I would have bought the comfort package if it was available separately and maybe the ABS (which in almost 23,000 miles would have never been activated) but since I couldn't get it without also paying for the NAV that I think is a joke, I chose to go with the base model. I think they have re-arranged the options on the 09 model.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Howdy rexter !..Welcome to the FORUM !..You're gonna Love It Here !!!! :waving:

You mentioned that you & the 'misses" were into your 50s....So are Wild Wing Lady & myself.

We love to ride together...took me 3 wives before I found one that enjoyed life the same way I do. :cheeky1:...."Think I'll Keep Her" :cooldevil:

We just rode this past saturday in 50 degree, rainy, miserable weather...on a "planned" but unknown route. If I said we didn't get lost once, I'd be lying, but that's what made it fun as well...the unknown...and discovering new roads and places together. It was a most enjoyable ride ! :)

No heated seat, or grips and no GPS...just Rand Mcnally and our imagination. Now granted, on a cross country trip, I'd probably feel more at ease with a Nav system, but just around the state....NAAWWW !

As some of the others said, depends on your riding preferances and the distance you want to travel...but I've always traveled by the 'old school' ways...and loved every minute of it ! :clapper:
Happy Traveling and Ride as if your life depended on it. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

rexter wrote:
Good Morning,

My wife and I are looking to buy a new 08 or 09 Goldwing. We are in our 50's and she rode a bike for the first time this weekend. It's been 30+ years since I've riden. After months of "NO WAY", she finally said "LET'S RIDE". My question is, are heated seats and Nav necessary? The economy as it is, I'm trying to be responsible about how much we spend, but I don't want to have a bike that has no resale value. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've got the basic model, I guess you could say. If I want a GPS, I'll get an after market one. That way I can 'get what I want', not what some design engineer thinks I should have.

I'm going with heated gloves and maybe a vest. My knees and back of the hands are what gets cold, not my butt. Depending on what size you are, save your money. You may find a back rest and handle bar risers a better (immediate) investment.

There are plenty of GPS's on the market. Some of them you can actually see. The way the economy is going, resale value? Buy it and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I think it depends upon what kind of riding you plan to do.

If all you want to do is take fairly short trips when the weather is not too bad, then you don't need grip and seat heaters.

If you plan on long trips, there will come a time when you're cold and damp and fed up, and turning on a warm butt and warm hands just tips the balance. I love mine because I can wear the same gloves all year, so the feel on the controls doesn't change.

And I don't like being cold, not as young as I was.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Rent a bike with the options you want, one weekend would give ideals.Would not worry about resale, buy what you want.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

rexter go and buy the 09 it has all the good upgrades. I wish i could trade my 08 in on an 09. The dealer told me there would be no change or difference from the 08 to the 09 but believe me there is.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not necessary but the heated seat would be nice, it is in my car. I don't think I'd want the built in GPS on the bike. You can buy a good portable unit and throw it away every couple years for a new one and do that several times for the price of the one on the bike. GPS's are improving so fast now I wouldn't want to get stuck with one on the bike.

I don't know how the one on the 1800 works but I'd change my opinion on the built in GPS if they used the screen for audio and phone functions like the one in my car. That would make it worth while.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.