Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I'm new to this Board - just signed up "for real" to day, started messing things up, asked Siteadmin for help, got immediate help by email from Siteadmin (despite the 48 hours "expectancy notice") :).

- Already got two "welcome" greatings from other Board members ! :)

At the moment I'm reading the Board "up" - so to say from "bottom to top".

At this moment I've read all post in the test forum and "help and FAQ forum" - 8 (!) in total, and this readingforces mebring upsome comments and suggestions (already, and in contrary what I've already posted), which I hope You all (including Siteadmin and moderators) will read openminded and without prejudice.

All my comments are relevant to theWelcome and FAQ forum and the post in that Forum, and it hasfour points :

1. Comment :

Just for the sake of good order it should be mentioned whether the PM-system is controlable (survey/delay/edit/delete) or not by any forum participants whom ever it may be (Siteadmin, moderators etc).

Suggestion :

I'm quite sure the answer to this question is "NO and NOBODY", but it should in my humble opinion be mentioned explicitly in the FAQ post from Siteadmin.

2. Comment :

This goes about help to upload of avatars and pictures to the Board. It comes to me that our Siteadmin is a real GW enthusiast anda really good man in every way, just at disposal for everyone when basic work about posting pictures has to be done, and the poster can't do it, but want to. The best way to help members is to help them to help themselves. One thing is that Siteadmin as a GW enthusiast has been running this forum since '99 and spending own "hard earned" on "this thing" - an other thing is taking siteadmin's riding time doing such things for members.

Suggestion :

Include in the FAQ post a reference to freeware about picture handling (resizing etc), including an URL where to download the software to do the work - to do it yourself ! - as First Priority. Second priority The recent contents of the FAQ. To be specific : Suggest members to download i.e. Photofilltre from http://www.photofiltre.com . Is it needed to mention that I have no interest (other than user for free) of that software - what so ever.

3. Comment :

This goes about upload of pictures to the Forum, too. When the forum is running on the cost of Siteadmin, I don't think anyone would be offended by kindly asked to upload their pictures anywhere else (typically for free), and then referring to the pictures here on the Forum using hyperlinks, to save Siteadmin's money to buy gasoline instead.
Suggestion :
There are many such places on the Internet, one of them is : Photo Post at http://www.BigBikeRiders.com, where everybody can register and upload pictures for free - within certain limitations.

4. Comment :

I have to ask - I really don't know - are all irish so modest and sharing everything they love with everybody (almost without conditions) without so much as just expecting anything in return :D?

Suggestion :

Put in the FAQ post where to send the domation - nobody vill get offended. As a newbie I haven't met that information yet, and I've started wondering why ...

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

John, good point about the free image editing programs and I reckon there are a few others out there as well.

About the PMs, all php type forums that have PM systems allow the administrator to read, delete or move PMs. The admin has to log-in as the member into their acount and then he can edit the members profile, messages etc. Admins only usually access a members account if the member is having a problem with the forum.
I can't see Steve or any other forum administrators bothering to read PMs, Steve rarely even gets time to post here himself and I think wexman does the day to day running of the message board. As wexman is a moderator and not an admin I don't think he can read PMs, but I'm not 100% sure, wexman will be able to answer this.
If you are worried about your PMs being read, why not just delete any sensitive ones when you have read them? Once they are deleted they can't be recovered or red by anyone.
Remember that your e-mail account (hotmail, Yahoo and also paid ones) allows people working in the supplier to read your e-mails as well, even after you delete them.

About donations, Steve had a Paypal link on the main site for a couple of years. He only ever had about 5 or 6 donations ((about $100 total) and Paypal didn't credit him with the last $50 donation a few months ago(said they can't track the transaction, even though the guy who donated the $50 sent Steve a copy of the confirmation e-mail he had got from Paypal). So Steve pulled the plug on Paypal as it wasn't worth the bother for such a small result, especially if Paypal are going to literally steal the donations. Searching the web for Paypal problems will give many many horror stories and their help and contacte-mail and phone numbers go unanswered. If you really want to make a donation, I'm sure you could discuss posting a check with the man himself by PM.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi John and welcome. :waving:Hope you post plenty here.
If you want to send a donation, just PM wingnut or wexman. I did this last year as I don't trust PayPal at all and I'm not letting them have my credit card details after all the news about class action suits against them for confiscating peoples money, locking accounts and so on. Steve isn't too bothered by donations as he doesn't want to get involved with sponsorship or people wanting banner ads on the site in return for donations.
I always get the impression that these Irish guys are very independent and hate being controlled or told what to do, that's why youdon't see sponsorship programs here and that's got to be good news for the rest of us.The message at the bottom of the main site page sums this up well;

"Steve Saunders Goldwing Page makes no claim to represent or endorse any person, club, group, company, organization, service or product..."

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ben,

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Martin & Ben,

Donations :

Information about paypal noted. Of cause that´s the way to do it - I wasn't thinking :doh:- Thanks !:D

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Martin & Ben,

Upload of pictures :

I see You agree that I have a point, I just hope that Wingnut and Wexmann remember it next time Help and FAQ Forum is updated.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Martin,

I don't think Your description of the PM-system is correct. And if it was, the description of the PM-system under the "Help" button should be changed. My point was to include that information in the Help and FAQ forum because it´s principle and material. I´ll elaborate in next post.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ben,

- I just like Your description of the Irishmen we have in here, and I'm looking forward getting to know them better :D!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi John :waving::waving:and welcome to the best and most popular goldwing site on the net ,,,,As moderator here I cannot access members PMs nor change members profiles ,,,I am sure wingnut will take on board your comments ,,The thing about PMs is you wont receive spamn etc as you would on an email add ,,and with all the members here nobody has had a problem ..Wingnut has a wonderful site here and one of the reasons it works so well is ..No pop ups ,no spawm and so easy to navigate,But as I said wingnut will take on board your suggestions and look at the situation ....So happy postin:jumper::jumper:...Ciaran

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wexman,

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Martin & Wexman,

Let me stress, I'm here for the same reason as You :D- I think it's the of the best deals I've ever got - to put in my own humble two cents when I have something to contribute with on a topic and then having access to tons of information from other people with the same dedication !:D- And can already see that people are having fun, too - which is cream on the cake ! :D:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi John ,,,,have a read of the topic "deer alerts" and see how much fun can be had here ...cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ciaran,

- I'll do !

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

- Just came to here from that "Deer" thread - after having problems breathing for laughing ... HA-HA-HA :D:D:D!!!!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hi everybody,

Back to the PM system :

- And everybody take no offense, read this without prejudice and openminded, I'm not chasing or suspecting anybody for doing anything, if I was, I'm quite sure I would be asked to go somewhere else with such topics ...

- Personally, I'll just mention to You that I'm in some kind busy, and the rest of the life is too short to be negative, my better half tells me I´m in the middle of my Mid Life Crisis ... :D, so ...

In all respect for everybody, but keep Your tongue straight in your mouth and read this, I'm being a bit immodest here :

I'm a CPA (in the UK You call it Chartered Accountant), and I'm used to and educated to audit computer systems.

I´m a Siteadmin of a phpBB Board my self - actually the first ever danish GW/Valk/Rune message Board, based on phpBB 2.0.16 release date 27th June 2005 (check out my www on my profile), the scope of that Board is the same as the scope of this Board, But I'm not "Board owner" - that Board is "owned" by the registered members, becauserunning that Boardis financed by advertising.

so I think I know what I'm talking about.

And that Board goes like this :

As Siteadmin I can do everything.

As Siteadmin I can't read everything.

That means :

I can´t see someones password, It´s not necessary, because I can change someones profile and posts without the password.

And Ican change someones password without the members password.

And the Siteadmin hasn't access to other part of the PM-system than own incoming and outgoing PM´s.

Thus to get access to someones PM's the Siteadmin should change someone´s password to log on as that member. That is for sure possible by just changing the members password and then just read the persons PM's.

But :

When You can't see the members password before changing it, it´s not possible for the Siteadmin to do this (change password for a member, and read the members PM's, and then log out and change the password so to say back to what it was, because the members password is not visible for Siteadmin.

As a Siteadmin You would be in major explanation trouble to a Board member having changed someones password without having been asked to do so, and that can only mean that Siteadmin hasbeen creating access to that persons PM's. All other information about the member is visible for Siteadmin.

---

So the conclusion is : PM's are private, the Siteadmin can't survey what´s going on in the PM-system, and that´s also the explanation that members have to report to siteadmin or someone else, if something is going on in the PM-system that is in conflict with the terms of using the Board.

Actually, that´s how it works on GoldWingRiderDK, and it can't be changed by the Siteadmin, the tools to do that aren't there for Siteadmin- those phpBB guy's developing this open source software have really used the inside of their head on this issue - it's for me to see the only right way to do it !

- And that's also the explanation why what's written under the "help" button is EXACTLY right (PM's are just like emails)! It must be assumed that the carrier can get access (but not the Siteadmin).

---

I think this Board works in EXACTLY the same way, and perhaps Wingnut will confirm this ...

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Man:action:I thought everything on this site was perfect.:)

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Hi John, I've just updated the FAQs to answer your questions (no-one has asked this before and I never even thought about it) about account access;

"Q. Can other forum members access myaccount or access my login information?
A. No, only the forum Administrator canaccessmembersaccountsby logging intotheir account via the Admin panel. This would only be needed if for instance,the member was having problems with the forum and their account had to be checked for errors. The Administrator can't access members passwords as they are encrypted, but he can send you a new password that will replace your old one, if you happen to forget it."

Bottom line is if you don't feel the PM system is secure enough for you, then either delete your PM's after you read them (they can't be recovered by anyone) or just don't use the PM system (there is an option to disable PM's in your account). I don't have the time or inclination to go to all the trouble of logging in as another user and reading their posts (I rarely get the time to read the posts in the forum as it is), but you don't have to take my word for that and if sothe choice is yours todisable PM's altogether.
Also,I'm toldthat in phpBB the Administrator can read anyone's PM's simply by using the Control Panel supplied by your hoster (most good hosters supply CPanel) or the "PM Manager mod" that comes with the phpBB forum. Admins can access all user accounts and the information in themin any forum software.

The forum software here is supplied as I get it and I enable all the options for all of our members. Any member can disable PM's by themselves, but I've never had any complaints and it seems that everyone likes the PM system.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

personally I think john is making a mountain out of a molehill ..Members dont give out financial details via PM or any other personal info ,,SO what is the problem ...If you dont like the way the PMs are worked .then dont use them ..simple ...This site will always remain the top goldwing site on the net ,And also the most friendly ,,Most members come on here to talk wings and bike related subjects ,not to find holes in the system ,,so lighten up leave your work at home and enjoy the forum..I am 100%sure that if a pole was conducted on this site as to whether members were happy with it or not ..the results would be 100% happy..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey John:waving:I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome, sometimes when I get going too fast, I take a yellow pill.:dude:

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Dean,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.