Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a preference as to what is the best intercom/communication device out today? Had the J&M product but was sent back twice for repair. heard some feedback on the bluetooth scala system. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have the scala teamset pro and love it
payed $200 on amazon

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
I have a pair of Scala headsets. They work great bike to bike. About 1/4 mile range, as long as you are in sight of each other. They won't link with the stock intercom system. Although I am working on a way to get that to work.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
My wife and I, as well as a few riding buddies use the SENA SMH-10.

Love it and it integrates with my iPhone and Bluetooth-enabled XM Radio quite nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I have the Scala Q2 teamset and love it. I have to buy another one now though. The battery in one unit won't hold a charge any more and they aren't replaceable. That's the only real drawback I've found. We've been using them about 5 years.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
We have a season on our SENA SMH-10 and really like them so far. The wife was in love the first time she got on and off the Wing without the cord from the on-board system. She was also getting constant static from the Honda system, and I never was able to chase it down. These got rid of that, and the 'static' I was hearing about the constant static.;)

The charge has been more than adequate on the few day-long rides we tried them on. We used them strictly for intercom (no music etc) and they would go a couple days before recharging. They come with a pigtail for connecting to on-board power if it runs out of battery while on the road.

Did not try them in severe rainy conditions...I think I would pull the control unit off and stow it someplace dry. As I understand it, I don't think they are fully waterproof. I also ended up replacing the double sticky they used to attach the velcro on the ear-pieces. It came loose of the backs and the new thicker stuff I applied has worked without issue.

So far we are very pleased with this product.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
We have a season on our SENA SMH-10 and really like them so far. The wife was in love the first time she got on and off the Wing without the cord from the on-board system. She was also getting constant static from the Honda system, and I never was able to chase it down. These got rid of that, and the 'static' I was hearing about the constant static.;)

The charge has been more than adequate on the few day-long rides we tried them on. We used them strictly for intercom (no music etc) and they would go a couple days before recharging. They come with a pigtail for connecting to on-board power if it runs out of battery while on the road.

Did not try them in severe rainy conditions...I think I would pull the control unit off and stow it someplace dry. As I understand it, I don't think they are fully waterproof. I also ended up replacing the double sticky they used to attach the velcro on the ear-pieces. It came loose of the backs and the new thicker stuff I applied has worked without issue.

So far we are very pleased with this product.
We've had the Sena's for two seasons and they're great. Very simple to use and very good volume. Sena's customer service is quite excellent as well. We've used ours in some very heavy downpours with no ill effects. I read a review last year where the reviewer also tested them in heavy rains and found them quite waterproof. The only issue I found was that I accidentally broke off one of the 'pogo-pin' connectors. Not sure how, but Sena ended up replacing the unit. Like I said, excellent customer service. I'm going to order their SM10 dual streaming adapter to hear the Wings audio in the headsets for next riding season.

I haven't used a Scala system so can't comment there, but frankly I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
My wife and I, as well as a few riding buddies use the SENA SMH-10.

Love it and it integrates with my iPhone and Bluetooth-enabled XM Radio quite nicely.

I bought the SENA SMH-10 also. Works great with bluetooth and has very clear communication.
I bought the AKE module in hopes to integrate the SENA units into the bikes system......EPIC FAILURE!

The AKE dongle worked well with everything EXCEPT CB radio. People could not understand a word I said when transmitting on the CB radio.
The AKE worked well with everything else (radio, XM, Navi instructions, etc), but b/c it did not work with the CB, I had to chunk it and kiss the $250+ good bye.

This now means my money on the SENA units was wasted b/c I highly rely on CB communication with my fellow riders.

I then spent another $200 on J&M headsets with cords (back to what I've used for years). Not happy without bluetooth phone connectivity! ....and the CB has a one second delay when someone is trying to talk to me :eek:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I use the J&M 629 Elite Headset and have had no problems other than the headset hook up cord ...which is pricey... is delicate in that the contact prongs are easily bent if you constantly remove it ..I do use the Bluetooth on my phone linked the the Garmin GPS ...which in turn is run through my GL2way CB that gets me into the bikes intercom system ..it works great... I would not do the bluetooth with the headset because I like my music at it's best

one thing I did have an issue with was slight static when just operating with the CB ..it was driving me nuts.. I was about to add more filters when I bought the digital music player and this gets into the Goldwings system through the never used CD player plug on my 2001.. I do not no what I did but the static was totally gone after this install

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I use the J&M 629 Elite Headset and have had no problems other than the headset hook up cord ...which is pricey... is delicate in that the contact prongs are easily bent if you constantly remove it ..I do use the Bluetooth on my phone linked the the Garmin GPS ...which in turn is run through my GL2way CB that gets me into the bikes intercom system ..it works great... I would not do the bluetooth with the headset because I like my music at it's best

one thing I did have an issue with was slight static when just operating with the CB ..it was driving me nuts.. I was about to add more filters when I bought the digital music player and this gets into the Goldwings system through the never used CD player plug on my 2001.. I do not no what I did but the static was totally gone after this install
Does the GL2way plug in the trunk just like the Honda OEM CB radio? Or do you have to run new wires all over again?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I bought the SENA SMH-10 also. Works great with bluetooth and has very clear communication.
I bought the AKE module in hopes to integrate the SENA units into the bikes system......EPIC FAILURE!

The AKE dongle worked well with everything EXCEPT CB radio. People could not understand a word I said when transmitting on the CB radio.
The AKE worked well with everything else (radio, XM, Navi instructions, etc), but b/c it did not work with the CB, I had to chunk it and kiss the $250+ good bye.

This now means my money on the SENA units was wasted b/c I highly rely on CB communication with my fellow riders.

I then spent another $200 on J&M headsets with cords (back to what I've used for years). Not happy without bluetooth phone connectivity! ....and the CB has a one second delay when someone is trying to talk to me :eek:

Before you throw out the Baby with the Bath Water, how about adding this to your SENA:

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sr10.php?tab_menu=overview

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I would like to know when you reach freeway speeds how is the volume lound enough and the quality of the sound?
Excellent (if you're talking about the Sena).

Before you throw out the Baby with the Bath Water, how about adding this to your SENA:

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sr10.php?tab_menu=overview
If they ever make the cord to connect it to the bike, it will be good. So far, only rumors and promises that they are working on it.
Yeah, Sena seems to have dropped the ball there. I believe Pete at BikeMP3 is working on a solution using both the SR10 and SM10 together, but why the heck Sena doesn't come up with their own solution I don't understand. They seemed to be being very innovative when they announced these products, but nothing new has come out since. Hopefully they're working on it.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I would like to know when you reach freeway speeds how is the volume lound enough and the quality of the sound?

Ivan

I can use it at freeway speeds with great clarity, which here in CA means anything between 70 and 90.

People can't believe I'm on a motorcycle when I'm using it.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Does the GL2way plug in the trunk just like the Honda OEM CB radio? Or do you have to run new wires all over again?
When I bought my bike the QEM CB had been removed ...The GL2way I bought for my 2001 goes in the trunk and plugs into the existing QEM CB plug connection .. the CB antenna was still on the bike so I just plugged into that under the seat.... all plug and play... no new wiring required ..all the bikes controls function the same

also the digital music player went on top of the CB in the trunk and plugged into the existing CD player plug under the seat ..again plug and play ..it all worked as advertised

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

Ivan
Not sure if you mean the Sena Bluetooth or mine ..here is my take..

I bought the J&M 629 Elite Headset last year... the best I could find ..
and also the digital music player specifically for music quality ..I was not disappointed

the volume can be louder than I'm sure is good for you ...at freeway speeds I just crank it up ...am very happy with the sound system ..and I'm picky about my music .

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
When I bought my bike the QEM CB had been removed ...The GL2way I bought for my 2001 goes in the trunk and plugs into the existing QEM CB plug connection .. the CB antenna was still on the bike so I just plugged into that under the seat.... all plug and play... no new wiring required ..all the bikes controls function the same

also the digital music player went on top of the CB in the trunk and plugged into the existing CD player plug under the seat ..again plug and play ..it all worked as advertised

Thanks! i need to get a GL2way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.