Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi just joined (brill site)

I am looking at buying an 82 1100 interstate (E.bay item No 4563380443) , It will get long runs butI really wanted it for commuting to work and back.

Always wanted one, and now I can afford one, is this a viable thing or is it just to big for intown traffic (London).

keep up the good work :D

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Hi

Welcome to this great site:waving:

Looks like a nice ride there!! Hope you win!!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey knighthawk2 :leprechaun: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: The :11red:wing is a nice machine, :weightlifter:if thats what you always wanted go for it. :jumper:

:dance: :18red: :dance:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

welcome m8 - use the bike for whatever you want it to do and i am sure you will be more than pleased with it. Not the same beast but i use my 1800 (cracked frame and all) for commuting and it does the job brillantly.

rgds

Phil

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
Not the same beast but i use my 1800 (cracked frame and all)
Hey Phil :leprechaun: Is that another new extra. :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

they are going to replace the frame but i am not a happy bloke m8. At least 3 weeks to get a new frame from Japan they have given me a loan bike but it aint hte same dosent have all the gizmos for one thing.

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Knighthawk Wings are very heavy and might get tiring if you're commuting in heavy traffic. I don't think I would care to drive in traffic much. There's nothing else like it on the open road. If you're willing to put up with the weight, then go for it.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
they are going to replace the frame but i am not a happy bloke m8.
Hey what does m8 stand for ? :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
they are going to replace the frame but i am not a happy bloke m8. At least 3 weeks to get a new frame from Japan they have given me a loan bike but it aint hte same dosent have all the gizmos for one thing.
rgds Phil
Don't complain too much Phil, a lot of us are just plain out of bike if something goes wrong. At least you're still riding.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

knighthawk2 wrote:
I am looking at buying an 82 1100 interstate (E.bay item No 4563380443) , It will get long runs butI really wanted it for commuting to work and back.

Always wanted one, and now I can afford one, is this a viable thing or is it just to big for intown traffic (London).
Hi knighthawk2 and welcome! The Wing can be a bit more of an effort in traffic than a 500cc bike, but it's not that bad. The 1100s weren't prone to heat up in stop and go as the 1500 and 1800 are. If you always wanted one go for it, if later it isn't what you want you can sell it and try something else but at least you will know!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I think they're great for commuting, weight is very low, well balanced and there's room for your lunch, change of clothes, rainsuit, extra jacket, gloves, helmet, that report that you stayed up late to work on last night...

Best thing...at the end of the day it's a vacation ride home, take the long way 'round.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Welcome to a brilliant Goldwing forum knighthawk2, great to see another fellow countryman here. :waving:
Lots of us use our Wings for riding to work and town riding, as well as further afield. The Wing won't go through gaps that narrower bikes can, but it's still more fun and quicker than the car.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
I think they're great for commuting, weight is very low, well balanced and there's room for your lunch, change of clothes, rainsuit, extra jacket, gloves, helmet, that report that you stayed up late to work on last night...

Best thing...at the end of the day it's a vacation ride home, take the long way 'round.
I started riding my GL1200I to work the beginning of July...and virtually every work day since. My ride is 37 miles each way. I load the bike with everything I need and lock all my riding gear up when I get to my parking space.

This has been the greatest summer on record. I get to enjoy my favorite activity (almost) while getting 45 mpg US. I'm considering getting studded snow tires so I can ride all winter long! :p

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:

Best thing...at the end of the day it's a vacation ride home, take the long way 'round
I think Tony has it right on the money. Great bike , Good balance-- Welcome to the Forum. :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I commute about 105 miles each day between job #1 and job #2 and home. I ride the 'Wing whenever I can until it gets cold enough for persistent ice to be on our roadways. I've got decent cold weather gear (not the heated stuff yet) and I don't mind cold weather anyway. The bike handles water ok, or will be better when I get my new tires mounted (I REFUSE to tell you what brand...) and since I'm not made of sugar I won't melt.

One of the things that I LOVE about the 'Wing is that no matter how heavy it is, and how big it is, you only have to be moving about 5 MPH for it to balance out. I'm not going to win any slow races but I do like the way it feels at slow speed. Even better faster, but slow is nice. Great balance and good control.

As for winter driving I've seriously considered getting a Russian Ural with a sidecar. They only top out about 65 MPH but the bike has a lever that engages the sidecar wheel as a drive wheel. They've got some great video on their web site. Not placing an ad for them but I think they run around $10k USD.

Ruaidh

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't find my Wing to be at all difficult for city driving. After a hard day it's a relief to get on the big, comfortable saddle. I really like my 1500's low speed torque, a lot less shifting in traffic than you'd do on a lesser bike. It's pretty amazing how much you can stuff in one. On a recent week long trip, I got everything inside even the tent and sleeping bag.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

knighthawk2 wrote:
Hi just joined (brill site)

keep up the good work :D
Welcome knighthawk2!

I have an 80 gl1100, and find it not a problem in traffic. Its not a full dresser, but I do have a trunk and a vetter fairing. As long as I keep my wits about me, the stop and go isnt a big deal.

What I like about my bike is that it is a good platform for short to moderate distance riding (since it doesnt have all the touring goodies), but it still thinks its a bit of a sport bike. It can roll through the twisties, and still take you crosscountry...

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.