Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I get a lot of questions about my ST versus a Wing; and since I insist on participating on this forum (which in my opinion is simply the best motorcycle forum in the world, bar none), I'm always deathly afraid of misleading people, and when I found this capsule comparison on stowners.com, I stole it:

GL1800
Specifications
Top speed 120mph "I've personally had mine right at 130 indicated"
1/4-mile acceleration 12.1 secs
Power 116bhp
Torque 123ftlb
Weight 363kg
Seat height 740mm
Fuel capacity 25 litres
Average fuel consumption 38mpg
Tank range 205 miles
Insurance group 15
Engine size 1832cc
Engine specification 12v opposed flat six, 5 gears
Frame Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension adjustment None
Rear suspension adjustment Preload
Front brakes Twin 296 mm discs
Rear brake 316 mm disc
Front tyre size 130/70 x 18
Rear tyre size 180/60 x 16
reference: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...g2001-current/

ST1300
Specifications
Top speed 141mph
1/4-mile acceleration 12.5 secs
Power 125bhp
Torque 92ftlb
Weight 287kg
Seat height 805mm
Fuel capacity 29 litres
Average fuel consumption 45mpg
Tank range 270 miles
Insurance group 14
Engine size 1261cc
Engine specification 16v, V4 5 gears
Frame Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension adjustment Preload
Rear suspension adjustment Preload, rebound
Front brakes Twin 310mm discs
Rear brake 316mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 x 18
Rear tyre size 170/60 x 17
reference: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2002-current/

But as you can see, three very important comparison categories aren't included: price, relative comfort, and luggage capacity. One of the reasons I went with an ST was that I could get it cheaper, $10,000 cheaper in regards to a new one off the showroom floor, at least in Washington state. Gas mileage is also significantly higher for the ST, but I think that is offset by faster tire wear.

Comfort: well, as time went on, Red and I got more and more comfortable on the ST. It took some farkling, some after-market add-ons, like handlebar risers and peg extenders, but the modifications were relatively cheap and easily done. Not sure about Red, but I'm more comfortable, personally, on the ST. My hips used to ache all the time on my 1500 (don't know how they'd feel on the 1800) and I'd be moving my feet constantly to find relief. I don't do that at all on the ST; and I think the slight forward lean flexes or "breaks" the hips just enough to ease that discomfort. I can sit all day on the thing.

Luggage capacity: there is no doubt in my mind that the Wing thrashes the ST on this issue. But so many of us own trailers now that it's less an issue than before, and, if my own experience is relevant, the ST can pull a trailer just as well as an 1800. We can't carry as much on the ST as we did our 1500, but we don't care because of how good the bike feels to ride!

And this brings me to my last, unannounced point: Ride what feels good to you, Bunkie! We both love the feel and handling of the ST, and we're satisfied with it, at least for now. Even with a greater seat height, the ST feels more "flickable" to me, especially in low speed maneuvers -- but it might not to you. Whew, now I feel better......

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

Thanks, the ST1300 interests me alot. I bought my GL1500 so the wife and I could ride in comfort, anywhere, but she's not interested in riding with me. So I'd like something comfortable and lighter for my one up riding.

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

shame the spec is wrong.

the ST 1300 has only 5 gears not the quoted six.

Alan Y

[line]

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I also ride an 04 ST1300 and just love it. I had a GL1800 which was all it was supposed to be. Truly a wonderful bike. But after it was totaled in an accident while being borrowed I found and rode the ST1300 and for all the reasons Mel mentions I made the switch. I can't say enough good about the ST1300. I have ridden it on long rides, short rides, fast and slow rides, straight roads and hammered the hell out of twisties. As a matter of fact last weekend I rode right through Mel's home town and home on a great loop ride.

All this being said the GL is a GREAT motorcycle. Can not be beat for long distance touring on a repeated basis. But I sure do love the “Baby Wing”. And compared to the BMW R series there is no contest.

I whole heartedly agree with CJ on this site. I came here as a Wing owner and never plan to leave unless thrown off as a “trader”. Great participation, good humor and some ribbing but always willing to help. Great people I am happy to be considered one of them.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

alany wrote:
shame the spec is wrong.

the ST 1300 has only 5 gears not the quoted six.

Alan Y

[line]
Yeah, I didn't even notice that.... I'll correct it! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

jack, does red know that you are calling a can of pledge darling ? to funny!!!! walkabout :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I've owned both. Currently I havean '09Goldwing and previous to that an '06 ST1300.

I'll sum it up this way. If you're riding two up, the Goldwing, hands down. Comfort , luggage, etc.

If you're riding solo, the ST is the way to go. If my wife ever decides to quit riding, I'll probably go back to the ST.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
GL1800 Specifications
ST1300 Specifications
Top speed 141mph
CJ:

I noticed a couple things that I question, shown above. I would think that the ST1300 should be quicker thanthe GL1800 especially since it's power to weight ratio is better. I would have alsoexpected the fuel mileage to be closer. I pulled these specs from January 2010 Motorcycle Consumer News. I'm not saying which source is more accurate, everybody knows that errors can be found in any set of statistics.

'04 GL'07 ST

Average MPG40.137.9

[align=left]Top Speed 130 142[/align]

[align=left]0–60 mph, sec.4.35 3.79[/align]

[align=left]0–100 mph, sec.12.92 8.76[/align]

[align=left]0–1/4 mile, sec.12.71 11.45[/align]

[align=left]0–1/4 mile, mph102.9116.19[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Power to Weight 1:9.18 1:6.75[/align]

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
GL1800 Specifications
ST1300 Specifications
Top speed 141mph
CJ:

I noticed a couple things that I question, shown above.  I would think that the ST1300 should be quicker than the GL1800 especially since it's power to weight ratio is better.  I would have also expected the fuel mileage to be closer.  I pulled these specs from January 2010 Motorcycle Consumer News.  I'm not saying which source is more accurate, everybody knows that errors can be found in any set of statistics.

'04 GL         '07 ST              

Average MPG                       40.1             37.9

[align=left]Top Speed                             130              142[/align]

[align=left]0–60 mph, sec.                     4.35             3.79[/align]

[align=left]0–100 mph, sec.                 12.92            8.76[/align]

[align=left]0–1/4 mile, sec.                  12.71          11.45[/align]

[align=left]0–1/4 mile, mph                 102.9          116.19[/align]

[align=left] [/align]

[align=left]Power to Weight                1:9.18           1:6.75[/align]
All I can say is that for the 2007 miles per gallon for the ST must be in error..... we have a 2007, and have never gotten that low of mileage....we consistently get over 45mpg, and sometimes 50mpg.....

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

That is what I meant about the errors, they don't necessarily match your own experience. The worst I have ever got was 38mpg, best was 52mpg, usually get 46-47 ish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
That is what I meant about the errors, they don't necessarily match your own experience. The worst I have ever got was 38mpg, best was 52mpg, usually get 46-47 ish.
are we talking US or UK gallons here as that would also make a difference.

Alan Y

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Being 6'4" they both seem small to me.

My son's Harley Fatboy lets me stretch out better and feels more comfortable on my old bones, but the reliability of a Honda of any type is unmatched.

Besides, my wife really likes the back seat on the wing.

And when momma's happy, the world is happy.:)

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

I owned a ST1300 and a GL1500. My son and I would go out for long day trips together.
Half way through the day we would have to switch bikes, because the ST was just too uncomfortable to ride all day long. Both of us agreed that the GL1500 far exceeded the ST1300 in comfort. We tried all the different seat heights on the ST. We found we had to constantly shift position on the seat. At the lowest setting we would slide into the gas tank and it does get hot in that position, causing sweat and more discomfort. I installed the handle bar extenders, but it didn't help. When we stopped for fuel, both bikes took close to the same amount to refill. The ST1300 does handle extremely well, like a much lighter bike than it is. The bottom line was comfort. I sold the ST at a loss and bought another GL1500. Everyone is different. I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

In 83 I purchased a VF750S. Added sport faring and I think two years later Honda intro'd the new ST1100. Everytime I saw an ST salivated over it as it was the bike my VF was not.

The ST is large enough for extended trips two up. Thanks for the real world comparison. It pretty much confirms what I have always thought. Since installing a new seat on my 1500 my left knee starts aching about an hour down the road. Seems the seat is a bit softer than the original and sits me a bit lower as it never did with the older firmer seat.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Even with a greater seat height, the ST feels more "flickable" to me,
Hummm... Flickable?... You REALLY like that ST, don't you CJ?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
Even with a greater seat height, the ST feels more "flickable" to me,
Hummm... Flickable?... You REALLY like that ST, don't you CJ?
Yup. I do; I absolutely feel that the ST1300 is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden, bar none...... The second best motorcycle I've ever ridden was my 1981 GL1100 Interstate.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
imported post

I agree 100% with Jack on the "flickable" aspect. This past spring I participated in the new MSF Sport Bike Course riding my ST. It is very flickable as soon as you get used to the feel of the bike. Also does great in the "box" of the basic course.

I like others have added bar risers and most of all a new Sargent seat as the stock is a real piece of C____.

I am fortunate to own an ST1300 and a 99 Wing. The wife also let's me drive her 1800 Wing occasionally. I take the 1500 on long trips...over 500 miles...and the ST on anything shorter, but I can see where selling my 1500 is in the future. Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic comfortable ride, but as I get a little older I appreciate the weight difference, and like the ST better for that....and also for it's acceleration. The curves I take on the 1500...scraping...at 60mph.....the ST easily does them at 75 or better with no effort.......only scraped it one time so far.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I actually understand the term "flickable" but it sounds like another F---able word, and so I thought I would make the comment. Never mind... I'll take my mind out of the gutter now.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

My brother has an ST. '08, I think. We've done considerable riding together and he has had to change some things to be able to ride it a full day.

Flickable? I don't know. My 12 is pretty flickable. Tim used to say he couldn't keep up in the tight stuff, but he's tried some different tires and things are better. The stock tires would have been laughable except they seemed slightly dangerous.

The ST has a ton of power. The fastest bike I've ever ridden, bar none. And the power is where you want it for everyday use. 3 of us, my '87 Interstate, a '98 Valkyrie Tourer and Tim's ST were playing around and; the Interstate and Valk pretty much ran even. The ST was just so much quicker as to make the others seem slow.

Fuel mileage on the ST is quite good. Ridden more aggressively, Tim gets low 40s and during more "legal" riding sessions, 44 or so. Much better than my 'Wing. And the ST has a big gas tank.

Comparing the ST to the 18 is a little more apples to oranges though. With the creature comforts of the GL glaringly bettter. Storage, sound system, cruise control, better seat, heated seat &grips and a biggerair-flow envelope, the 'Wing wins hands down for touring. For what Tim paid for his bike,plus the money he's put into itfor the seat, bars, cruise control etc, I think he could have gotten into a new GL18.

But...the ST is not intended to compete with the GL and visa-versa. The GL 18will probably find it difficult, maybe impossible, to stay with the ST on a back road, high-speed romp,if the riders are equal.

If I had to choose...? I'd probably go with the BMW tourer. :action:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.