Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Dwade, My boss hunts up in N. Carolina on some property he owns there and he installed one of those trail cams that will download to your cell phone right after it takes a pic. Well one day he was up there and hunted 'till noon when he went in for lunch, just taken a bite of his sandwich, and his phone went off.. He checked it and There was Bambi Smiling at him through the camera!! Modern Technology sucks sometimes..... :ROFL:

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
must have one of those Unlimited Data plans....
that chews up a lot of data fast.

a 30 second video is 7.6 mB

snapshots are better, not so bad at around 250k to 500kB

·
Registered
84 Posts
Opening Day of Bow is Tomorrow!!!! AND i still have Buck(s) on my trail camera at 8:30 AM as recently as yesterday!!!

I'M PUMPED UP!!
Oh man ,,,,,,,,, don't you know. I can't go. Work calls me , and this new infliction I have I have to wait at least 10 days according to the Dr. . Man !!!!!!!!! This is killing me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well shorty . . here's how my day went -- sat in stand 1/2 hour before daylight, at the break of day I saw a fox but by the time i realized it was a fox it was off into the brush. an hour later I was filming two young doe with the video recorder (Tactacam) mounted on my bow. I filmed some turkeys and chipmunks and squirrels too. I was having a ball. about 11 am I packed it in for a few hours and went home to watch more youtube hunting videos/and took a nap. I was back in the tree stand at 5:45 this evening and filmed several more doe and one button buck, got pinned down in my stand at last light by 3 more doe- I waited a half hour after dark to get down.
Pretty fun/exciting day for my first time ever having a video recorder along!

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
Do you use one of the many Wild Game cameras?

I have a very old one that was donated to me, it still gives me a lot of fun to observe what runs around our acreage during the dark hours.

it being old, the IR light only reaches out about 50 feet, but it is neat to watch deer walk casually around our place.

The videos are 30 seconds each, and it waits 15 seconds before it will retrigger for a new video. Videos eat up batteries fast :)

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah I have a trail camera that takes still pictures Or Video (720p). it got set to video a few months ago and i've never went back ! the videos are really cool to see. - Now I also have a video recorder on my bow in place of the stabilizer- I'm really hoping to film my shot from both cameras at the same time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well.. opening day is long gone and by all the posts i've put up about all the deer I shot- you might have an idea how many I harvested..
I DID see a few dozen deer - bucks included- I DID film them with the video camera mounted on my bow.

I also embarrassed myself with four (4) missed shots.. got that embarrassment on film too - i'll use it as a learning tool I guess.

Anybody else have a story to share?

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Well, I missed one with my muzzle loader. It was still loaded from last year and the first cap failed, put a new cap on and it fired but didn't sound right. I'm old fashioned, use a side lock percussion cap instead of those fancy new inlines.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Although I am also a Gun enthusiast and CPL (concealed pistol license) holder I have recently taken up the sport of Bow Hunting and also shoot Archery on an indoor league at the sportsmans club I belong to.
Any other Bow Hunters and/or Target shooters around here??

- Jeff
CCW here too, I also " did" shoot leagues against individuals, no teams. I do shoot targets , but at the bow range.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Shorty, - I hear the state of Illinois has whitetail deer that grow some pretty large antlers..
Have you harvested any of them? Or are not a hunter.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Dave- I've got my very first muzzle loader a few months ago- haven't fired it at the range yet. yeah it's the fancy in-line shotgun primer type- fancy you call it but I call it a good deal for the low low price of Free ( $0.00). My neighbor gave it to me because he had cross threaded the scope mount holes and didn't know what to do about it... He said " Here- this free to you, you are a machinist, you can probably fix this" I told him I'd fix it for Him for free but he had already bought a new one. Go figure- If I had his money I'd just burn mine !

It's not an expensive gun but none the less I now own a muzzle loader! - I drilled and tapped the holes out to 8-32's and mounted a 4x32 scope on it - someday i'll learn how to load it and shoot it.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
- someday i'll learn how to load it and shoot it.
They are pretty easy if you use the modern stuff, propellant pellets and saboted bullets. I use real black powder and lead round balls, like a muzzle loader is supposed to use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hunted for years in Maine, still own a camp on a few acres surrounded by thousands of acres of empty woods....empty of deer that is. I now live in Tenn. and go to Virginia in Nov. to hunt them with a muzzleloader.....smokeless however....it is a meat hunt and I don't much care about antlers. We are allowed 6 each, 3 bucks and 3 does and can purchase extra does if we want. Insane amount of deer available. I just want to fill my freezer(s) and have a great time with my old friends, and family, from Maine.

Kevin

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah Dave, I learned it is pretty easy- two 50 grain pellets - stuff the saboted bullet down the hole- put the 209 primer in and fire it.. easy peezey- what could possibly go wrong?. well I learned real quick that muzzle loaders leave a lot of powder build up in the barrel. About the 5th or 6th time I loaded it, it was notably harder to push the bullet in. well I didn't have any cleaning equipment with me at the range and I was enjoying shooting it -- well after it gets dirty enough even the hole in the breech plug that the primer goes in gets dirty and it gets hard to get the primer in and out. So I only shot it 8 times that day- packed it up and headed for home. That was lesson #1.
Lesson #2,
Fast forward 2 weeks,
It's a Saturday morning and I'm having breakfast at the gun range cafe with some friends ( Pistols-n-Pancakes we call it)- I mentioned the fun I had with the muzzle loader and that I still needed to clean it ( lesson #2 !! NEVER leave a muzzle loader dirty ! Clean it asap after using it ) Boy I got Grief for not cleaning it right away- then I really learned the Grief of it when I cleaned it that afternoon- I'm betting it's Triple the work because I waited.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Yep, I've seen a few ruined by not cleaning right away. Probably where the saying ' never go to bed with a dirty gun' came from. When range shooting I run a patch through it after every shot.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Humm, run a patch thru it huh. I will give that a try. Dry or a little oil on the patch? Powder solvent?

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Humm, run a patch thru it huh. I will give that a try. Dry or a little oil on the patch? Powder solvent?
I use bore lube, Thompsons wonder lube to be precise. Just damp with water works fine. The old timers kept a patch in their mouth for that.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts