Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok folks, here is a list of what I think may be all tied to the same problem.

First. the bike is a 1992 Aspencade, and these symptoms just started in the middle of a ride this past weekend. The first sympom I noticed was the electric reverse cutting off as soon as the bike started moving.

1. When I turn on the ignition switch both turn signal indicators are dimly lit. (This does not happen every time.)

2. When using the turn signal the correct indicator flashes brightly and the other indicator flashes dimly.

3. When lights appear to be acting normally, cruise control will keep disengaging, as if the brake had been pulled. (This seems to happen if I hit a bump.)

4. Electric reverse will not function if both turn signal indicator lights are dimly lit. Also, electric reverse will stop working if the bike if jerky when backing up. (Note: Electric reverse will start to function if turn signal indicators are not dimly lit.)

5. When activating the hazard switch every running light, brake light and turn signal light flashes.

These symptoms could probably be related to a faulty ground or short in the wiring, but I have no idea where to start. Could someone please tell me where the best placeto begin troubnleshooting the electrical system would be? (i.e., are theres wires in the system that could affect all of the above, like a common ground?)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I know nothing about a 92 but think that you are on the right track with the bad ground. I would check all of the connectors that go to the handle bars first, open them and look at the pins for any heat spots or dis-coloring. If you have a manual, follow the grounding path from the bars back and see if they have a frame point that they lead to. Good luck

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Make sure the reverse lever switch is adjusted properly.
There are a lot of complex connections going on there.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

You have a bad ground. It is either in a white 13 pin plug behind the right fairing pocket or the main ground point on the frame near the oil dipstick.

Revised after actually looking at the ETM.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

New day...same problem! Okay all, here's where I stand today. Just moved into a new house and looked for my Clymer all morning...no luck. So out to the bike I went. (I'm determined to fix this problem if I have to disassemble the entire bike one bolt at a time. (Which shouldn't take too long at the rate I'm going.)

Anyway, here's what I've got today when I started the bike up.

1. Turn signal indicators both dimly lit. All rear running lights are on, but barely visible.

2. Put on turn signal, all running lights flash dimly. No rear turn signals.

3. Hazard switch no longer works.

4. Take bike out of neutral, turn signal indicators brighten up.

5. Put bike in reverse, cuts out as soon as the bike starts moving.

6. When brake pedal or lever is depressed, turn signal indicators come on brightly.

Here's what I've done today.

1. Could not find a 13 pin connector inside the right fairing. Found one in the left, but moving it around didn't change anything.

3. Could not locate a ground on the frame behind the engine. (Would have been nice to have found my Clymer.)

2. Removed my "Back-Off" brake light pulsator. No change in symptoms.

So there you have it. I'm at a loss. And I hate the thought of taking it to a dealer. They can really soak you when it comes to troubleshooting electrical problems. So, the bottom line is...HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

I'll do the best I can. You definitely have a bad ground connection. Since all the small lights are affected it has to be a common connection and the only one I can find is C55
(13 pin white)on an aspy or SE the book says is behind the right fairing pocket or on an interstate is a 16 pin gray behind the left fairing pocket or G100 which the book says is on the frame above the dipstick. I remember seeing it on a 1500 and it seems like it was actually forward of the dipstick, kind of hidden behind the lower cover.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

How about an up date on your problem . Any luck on finding the short ? Enquiring minds would like to know.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Today's Update:

Started wortking from the back of the bike, diconnecting lights. So far I've disconnected the trunk lights, and the rear center brake lights and running lights. After doing this the left turn signal indicator no longer is dimly lit, and the turn signal for that side acts like it's supposed to, blinking fast because it detects no rear turn signal bulb.

Tracing the saddlebag lights up into the bike I've found what I believe to be a power wire splice to the saddlebag lights which has come disconnected. However, I ran out of time before I could trace the wire to its origin.

If I had to guess right now, I would say that wire is touching the frame someplace, but it's not a green ground wire.

I will let you all know more tomorrow after I find where that wire is coming from.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Wayne, You need to check the # 3 (20-amp) Tail Main Relay in the relay box. I know from experience that relay will cause all kinds of problems (such as you are having) when it fails.

First check the contacts, make sure they are tight and clean. If so, swap out that relay with the # 5 (20-amp) Air Pump Relay.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Live2RideGold wrote:
Since I can't find my Clymer, could you please tell me where those relays are located.

Thank you
The relay box is to the right of the fuse block behind the left side panel. It's behind the left front corner of the saddlebag. When you are looking at the fuse block, look to the right and you will see the relay box cover.

There are two ways to get to it.

1. Remove the two mounting bolts for the fuse block and relay box and slide it forward.

2. Loosen the saddlebag mounting bolts, pull the front of the saddlebag outward and
you can access the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Good Afternoon Everyone...
IT'S FIXED!!!!!

Many thanks to all who gave me their insight. The problem turned out to be a burned ground (Green) connection in the blue connector under the seat on the left side. At first it didn't look like that was the problem, nor the second or third time I looked at it. But after disconnecting every light on the rear of the bike, checking out all the sub-wiring harnesses, I gave the connector one more look. And guess what, it was indeed burned around the Green wire.

Cutting the wire from both sides of the connector, and then splicing them directly together, wala.....everything was back to normal.

So, once again, thanks to everyone for their help.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Very nice. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Ok ya'll, I firmly believe the Goldwing God is out riding around, because He (or She) is definately not watching over this problem.

Found and repaired the short in my wiring and everything appeared to be working correctly, so I backed the bike out of the garage to finish putting the covers back on and wipe the bike down. That done, I started to put the bike back in when I noticed the neutral indicator was not on (and yes, I WAS in neutral). So I started to back out of the garage again, and lo-and-behold, no reverse light either. A little more checking and I discover the neutral light does not come on when I turn the key on, but the reverse light does. Obvious first step, check the neutral bulb...and it's good.

So, once again I ask, "Has anyone come across the problem of no neutral light when in neutral, and no reverse light when in reverse?"

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Live2RideGold wrote:
Ok ya'll, I firmly believe the Goldwing God is out riding around, because He (or She) is definately not watching over this problem.

Found and repaired the short in my wiring and everything appeared to be working correctly, so I backed the bike out of the garage to finish putting the covers back on and wipe the bike down. That done, I started to put the bike back in when I noticed the neutral indicator was not on (and yes, I WAS in neutral). So I started to back out of the garage again, and lo-and-behold, no reverse light either. A little more checking and I discover the neutral light does not come on when I turn the key on, but the reverse light does. Obvious first step, check the neutral bulb...and it's good.

So, once again I ask, "Has anyone come across the problem of no neutral light when in neutral, and no reverse light when in reverse?"
The neutral indicator light (on the dash) is only connected to the "reverse lever switch" and the "reverse diode assembly".

1. A black/white wire from the reverse lever switch.

2. A light green/red wire from the reverse diode assembly. Actually this wire is "light
green" when it leaves the "reverse diode assembly".

The reverse level switch feeds power to the "reverse diode assembly"....!

The gear position switch is connected to the:

1. Ignition control module. (Green/orange and light green/red wires)

2. Reverse diode assembly. (Light green/red wire)

3. Overdrive indicator light on the dash. (Green/orange wire)

I would recommend you check the reverse lever switch.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

On my 80 Connector that goes into my Faring, It comes loose sometimes. and I have the same problem with both blinker lights at or under 1/2 without them on. I twisted the connector around a couple of times and hooled it up, and it stays.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Live2RideGold has a 1992 Gold Wing Aspencade not a 1980 Gold Wing. There are differences in the wiring and connectors on the two bikes. For one, the 1980 does not have reverse....!

He has a neutral and reverse indicator light issue.

If one looks at the 1992 Gold Wing wiring diagrams, they will see what functions the "reverse lever switch" controls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.