Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dear ALL,

On my GL 1200,84,I have a noise coming from the right side of engine.It sounds like air escaping ,like a safety valve on a compressor when the tank is full,or like the compression escapes at the spark plugs ( I checked,it is not the case ).

I checked the exhaust maniffolds too !

Any advice?

Thanks,

Lucian
 

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

It's one of the vacuum hoses, they usually crack at the edges with age. You will have to get a torch and look close at it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

lucian wrote:
Dear ALL,

On my GL 1200,84,I have a noise coming from the right side of engine.It sounds like air escaping ,like a safety valve on a compressor when the tank is full,or like the compression escapes at the spark plugs ( I checked,it is not the case ).

I checked the exhaust maniffolds too !

Any advice?
Lucian, that is a pretty open question.

It could actually be air escaping if your Wing has an on-board air compressor and it is stuck in the running position. My 1200 has the compressor on the right hand side under the cover just above the engine.

It could also be a timing belt sizziling or making noise, or your secondary air making noise. Could even be a spark plug coming loose and hissing.

See if you can get us a little closer point of origin? Take a long piece of garden hose or other piece of hose, or even a piece of pipe & stick one end to your ear and use the other end to probe around the engine and cowling to see if you can pin-point the noise origin. Then post back and let us know what you find. With a little probing on your part one of the excellent Guru's on this site will help you.



Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I do not have a compressor onboard.Ichecked spark plugs,they are OK and tight.It is not belt (rubbing )noise,it is air.It sounds more like blowing than sucking but I will take your advice,check vacuum hoses and use a kind of stetoscope to find the cause.

I`ll keep you informed.

Thank you,

Lucian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
imported post

There are vacuum hoses on the front of the carbs and also the sides. If you can' see the leak easily, removing the false tank & airlfilter boxwill make it easier to get to the ones at the front.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

lucian wrote:
I do not have a compressor onboard.Ichecked spark plugs,they are OK and tight.It is not belt (rubbing )noise,it is air.It sounds more like blowing than sucking but I will take your advice,check vacuum hoses and use a kind of stetoscope to find the cause.

It sounds more like blowing than sucking
Lucian, if that's the case then you are probably chasing a pressure problem like exhaust pressure or fuel tank pressure. Most of the carb and hose related problems would be a sucking sound due to vacuum.

Try loosening the fuel filler cap as a quick test. Winter fuel (gasoline)used in warm weather has a very high vapor pressure so out gasses pretty heavily. There is a pressure control system in the fuel tank vent line and that can cause some pretty good high pressure leaking sounds as the vapor pressure leaks off.

If it is the fuel tank pressure relief valve and system the problem will either go away or at least get better as the gasoline refineries switch over to summertype gasoline.



Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you very much to all !Problem solved : it was the aluminium pipe coming from the intake manifold cylinder no.3 .I tightened the two nuts holding the manifold,I can hardly hear the noise but I am very good with brakeing bolts...so I leave it like this for now.It looks like it is a gasket ( rubber ? ) under the manifold where the hose is connected,it might be old,perished ?

Thank you again,very nice and helpful forum !!!!

Lucian
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

lucian wrote:
Thank you very much to all !Problem solved : it was the aluminium pipe coming from the intake manifold cylinder no.3 .

Thank you again,very nice and helpful forum !!!!
Hey lucian :waving: Dont mention it. :clapper: Thats what these guys are getting paid for. :weightlifter:

:walker: :18red: :walker:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top