Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So getting desperate now, I spoke with Dime city cycles a sister co. of Randakks in Tampa was hoping they did mechanical but they don't and they don't know anyone that works on gl1000s at lease not in Florida, they were very helpful,
I live in Port Charlotte Fl. Im looking for a hands on opinion at this point or this becomes a very expensive parts bike, not sure Honda dealer will even look at something this custom, Webber's and all, scratch scratch! running out of options here. cutwater

I was looking for your message about cam pulley key not finding post how do I check that again? I will do check again now to determine amount of air passing thru rings, get back to you, Thanks
I just did the pressure test again and found no noticeable sound difference between left and right, about the same, this bike was well maintained with 70k makes no sense that compression loss would be that much and why just the left side obviously this is got me perplexed !!!

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So getting desperate now, I spoke with Dime city cycles a sister co. of Randakks in Tampa was hoping they did mechanical but they don't and they don't know anyone that works on gl1000s at lease not in Florida, they were very helpful,
I live in Port Charlotte Fl. Im looking for a hands on opinion at this point or this becomes a very expensive parts bike, not sure Honda dealer will even look at something this custom, Webber's and all, scratch scratch! running out of options here. cutwater

I was looking for your message about cam pulley key not finding post how do I check that again? I will do check again now to determine amount of air passing thru rings, get back to you, Thanks
*****I found your message regarding cam key, I just now set the timing to #1 TDC and checked #2 cam lobes Im not clear on what you said about cam lobes being equal distance from end of rocker arms?
can tell you what I see is cam lobes intake and exhaust seem to be in same place cycle with rocker arms on the flat side of each lobe, hope that makes sense, does that sound right?

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes there will be some leakage past the rings into the crank case. Is it noticeably more on the left than the right? Have you checked the cam pulley key like I mentioned before?
[/QUOTE)
*****I found your message regarding cam key, I just now set the timing to #1 TDC and checked #2 cam lobes Im not clear on what you said about cam lobes being equal distance from end of rocker arms?
can tell you what I see is cam lobes intake and exhaust seem to be in same place cycle with rocker arms on the flat side of each lobe, hope that makes sense, does that sound right?

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
You kind of have to know how an engine works to imagine what I mean. Just take the belt loose and take the cam pulley off and see if the key or slot may be worn.

Reactions: tpd1749

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You kind of have to know how an engine works to imagine what I mean. Just take the belt loose and take the cam pulley off and see if the key or slot may be worn.
Ok belts are all off the bolt for the cam belt gear came off fine but it will take a puller to get the gear off, just looking at it the key and slot look perfect no sign of wear or tampering Im adding a photo, what do you think? cutwater

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Looks good. Another theory shot.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I don't have a feeler gauge but will later today however I did the wiggle test on the lifters and found lash at the correct TDC for intake and exhaust on all, by feel to me the lash was equal on all lifters, and correct it passed the wiggle test, I realize I can't guess the .004 lash but, seems correct and in all the right timing positions, double checked myself here, where next? the problem is real so where is the compression going? Im out of ideas, I do think we are narrowing this down each time we work down the check list, where to next?
thanks for all the great help, cutwater
Did you have the throttle wide open when you did the compression test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got your message on way to bed but had to try this, at #1 TDC the lobes on #2 exhaust and intake are equal off the top of the lobe more on the side of the lobe but equal if I'm following correctly , I never had a knock of any kind no unusual noises at all, valves are not sticking all looks normal other than both at low 75 and 77 lbs compression and a noise from both cylinders as it cranks from the escaping compression in the exhaust, Im guessing does not sound like the right side has to be the escaping compression ? I'm at a loss here for ideas now , any suggestions I will follow and report, Thanks again!,
How many miles on the engine? Sounds like it might be bad valves, or seats.

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Looks good. Another theory shot.
I agree it looks good, where to next?
Good point, - if the throttle was closed and out of sync. would it explain the bad compression test
I did not have the throttle wide open? amateur move but all things being equal I still have the radically different compression left side/right side 60lbs
when it was running the left exhaust never heated up plugs were wet just no compression on left side, belts were in perfect timing??? thanks for pointing that out, good catch. , cutwater.

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
How many miles on the engine? Sounds like it might be bad valves, or seats.
70k did compression in each cylinder 125psi listing for any valve leaks intake/exhaust got no indication of leak, why would only left side
2&4 have worn valves to that degree and the right side is good? it's a strange one! thanks.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
I agree it looks good, where to next?

I did not have the throttle wide open? amateur move but all things being equal I still have the radically different compression left side/right side 60lbs
when it was running the left exhaust never heated up plugs were wet just no compression on left side, belts were in perfect timing??? thanks for pointing that out, good catch. , cutwater.
If the carbs are out of synch then all things are not equal.

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
this sounds promising Dave, (see attachments)
most likely not in synch considering these are webber knockoff designs, I researched many reviews from other projects with these carburetors with very positive results, right out of box the engine fired right up and ran well as expected I tried adjusting fine tune for idle but never got there before discovering exhaust manifold temperature on 2&4 very low and profound low exhaust pressure, led to compression testing, *can carburetor timing effect compression to this degree 60psi difference left to right? .. does this mean replacing timing belts and starting over with compression testing, Im exhausted HA! thanks ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
this sounds promising Dave, (see attachments)
most likely not in synch considering these are webber knockoff designs, I researched many reviews from other projects with these carburetors with very positive results, right out of box the engine fired right up and ran well as expected I tried adjusting fine tune for idle but never got there before discovering exhaust manifold temperature on 2&4 very low and profound low exhaust pressure, led to compression testing, *can carburetor timing effect compression to this degree 60psi difference left to right? .. does this mean replacing timing belts and starting over with compression testing, Im exhausted HA! thanks ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
This might be a dumb question but is it possible to do a compression test with the timing belts off cranking by hand? otherwise I need to order new belts may take a few days,
guess I'm anxious for a positive sign!

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
being the devils advocate, overthinking it perhaps but I see where compression testing might get a different result with throttle open or closed but thats a static test the bike does run, with 2&4 running cold and wet indicating low compression, could carburetors out sync cause this extreme condition? cutwater.

·
Just one of the guys
4,853 Posts
This might be a dumb question but is it possible to do a compression test with the timing belts off cranking by hand? otherwise I need to order new belts may take a few days,
guess I'm anxious for a positive sign!

DON’T CRANK IT OVER WITHOUT TIMIING BELTS. You will bend a valve and probably damage a piston.

·
Just one of the guys
4,853 Posts
being the devils advocate, overthinking it perhaps but I see where compression testing might get a different result with throttle open or closed but thats a static test the bike does run, with 2&4 running cold and wet indicating low compression, could carburetors out sync cause this extreme condition? cutwater.
If they are out of synch far enough it is possible for the carbs to make this happen. Cold and wet on 2 and 4 could possibly be flooding on those as well which could also be the carb.

Were it me, and I am a professional mechanic by NO stretch of the imagination, I would get the timing belts on, redo the compression test with the throttle wide open (after assuring both carbs are opening with the throttle), and proceed from there based on the new compression test numbers. If they come up on 2 and 4 I think I would then look into the carbs to be sure they are synched and adjusted properly.

·
Registered
1978 GL1000 cafe
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
trying to share all information I find, I just read a post where a guy had compression of 120 throttle closed same oversight I had, he opened throttle and got 180 gained 60 amazing and promising but he had equal numbers at test I have 60lbs left right different can sync difference be that great? heres another thought motorcycle was stored for 6yrs would it make a difference if stored on side stand, Im still struggling with left right difference hope it's just sync theory ..

41 - 60 of 89 Posts