Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wing has 110+k on it and 2 yrs ago when it had 100k on it,I screwed up on thebelt change( 1 tooth off) and bent cyl 1 and 3 intake valves. So off the went the head and the honda dealer fixed it andI was back in business.Now I have 110k on it so it was time to rebuild the carbs , a good winter project. The carbs are all done sitting on the work bench waiting to go back in , but while they're out I was contemplating on getting the 110k head (cyls 2 and 4) freshened up. I got a compression tester from Santa, soI just did a compression check and cyls 1,3 and 4 are runing around 150ish and cyl 2 is running around 120 ish. So based on #2 being 30lbs lower would that make much of a difference or should I get the 110k head redone? Or should I just clean it up and replaced the head gasket? Engine ran good before the carb rebuild so I'm trying to save some cash!

:?Wingd

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

did you adjust valves before compression check ? this could account for the differance .

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

A few things, in addition to what wayne said (adjust valves)..

1- Obviously without carburetors, it was not running and warm previous to check.. should be warm with a good "normal" oil seal.
2- YOu don't know if it is rings or valves, even if there is a problem, so rebuilding head may be a waste of time.
3- Even if correct, it is not that bad...

If it were me, I'd get it running first.. then determine if it was rings or valves.. If valves, I'd freshen them up.. if rings, skip it..

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I adjusted the valves late this summer,so they should still be in spec. Yes I've heard that having the engine warm is a good way to check it. Would the compression be higher with warm engine than cold? If so I will be happy with these results and just replace the head gaskets and orings and stuff. Also the plugs looked good (tan) including cyl#2 and they had 10+k on them. Not sure if that tells anything.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

wingd wrote: ...
...Would the compression be higher with warm engine than cold? If so I will be happy with these results and just replace the head gaskets and orings and stuff.....
I don't know that it is so much the temperature as it is that by running the engine you give it a chance to properly oil the cylinders (fill in tiny spaces). This "oil seal" is essential for good compression. A cold engine that has been sitting will take some running to put the oil back where it belongs..

If you are taking the heads off anyway, and you have any doubts about the valves, you can check them after you have them off and then decide if they need anything.. I generally just hand lap them if I have them off anyway...

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the advice. I think you can rent or borrow a valve spring compressor from Autozone. I remember back in 9th grade auto shop we lapped valve on a lawnmower engine. Many many moons ago but it should't be a big deal. I will get the heads pulled off this weekend. I was thinking that I can leak test the valves with the compression tester which has a quick connect on the hose that screws into the plug hole. I guess I can hook up my air compresser up to this hose on each plug and give it a blast and check for leaks that way. Does that make sence?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just foud out from my son that you can't leak check with the heads off. So I'll attempt to do it the normal way before the heads come off.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Does anyone have the procedure for a leak down check?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.