Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Alright!

I FINALLY got my compression tester thing figured out... Turns out my trusty assistant isn't so trusty and wrote down the WRONG SIZE when I was trying to figure out my spark plug threads, leading me on a long, fruitless search and causing me to look like a moron haha

Long story short - I got my compression tester adapter rigged up from an old plug, a piece of copper pipe, a spark plug unfouler, and a bunch of epoxy. FINALLY got the compression tested, and here's what I've got...

~90psi consistently... Actually 3 out of 4 have nearly identical pressure, and one (#2 I believe) is a little lower. But by <5 or so...

After doing some reading on the forum, I decided to try a wet test... Dripped a little oil down into the hole and repeated the test... It didn't go up dramatically but (after trying it on 2 cylinders) I was reading about 100 or 105psi...

So definitely an improvement...

Bad rings?

Here's the big question...

What (if any) is the big disadvantage/danger/problem with driving a bike with this issue? The reason I ask - I'm about to join the Army (I ship October 27) and I really just want to get this bike on the road. I'm PRETTY sure that this fix is WAY over my head mechanically... And it still has a few things that need work before it's street ready (namely brakes and new fork seals)

I really just want to get to riding between now and when I ship. Is that something I can safely do or is that going to cause a major problem?

Am I (potentially) wrong in my deduction that it's rings?

Is there anything else I can do to help as a temporary fix until I leave?

Thanks GW Geniuses!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i would go and ride it for a while, come back and check comp. again. in my exp. 10-15 percent diff. no biggie as rings can line up blah blah blah. run it a while and check hot[ sucks i know ] but you will get a more accurate reading. good luck:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Did you make sure that the throttle was open all the way when you performed the compression test? It makes a pretty big difference, believe it or not.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,960 Posts
imported post

As Sparebulb said, it sounds like the throttle wasn't wide open. Try again with the engine warmed up, all plugs removed and the throttle wide open.

Write your results down accurately and report back.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I doubt that 90psi is a valid reading. As already mentioned the engine needs to be warmed up and it's critical that the throttle is held wide open with the choke off while cranking. Also critical is the condition of the battery. If the battery is weak or the starter is in poor condition the reading will be low but the low reading will be meaningless as it's saying more about the starter or battery than the engine's health. It helps if you jump a car battery in parallel with your bike's battery while running a compression test, it keeps the voltage more constant.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Hm... The bike was definitely not warmed up. I had the battery hooked up to a charger for an hour or 2 after my first round of tests... I didn't have all the plugs out or the throttle open...

But 90psi WAS with the throttle as open as I could get it, all the plugs out, and the battery on the charger.

I'm going to assume the choke is off, but - believe it or not - I don't know where my choke is! I see the mounting bracket for it on the bars but it's definitely not there. I haven't taken the time to find the choke cable and trace it to see where that piece is... Or how it's set up. But it starts, runs, and idles (once it's a little warmed up) so there can't be too big a problem with the choke

I'm going to guess the guy I got it from didn't put the correct type of battery in it - there's no breathing tube coming out of this battery. It fits in the box and everything but... That might have something to do with it too, eh?

I'll try hooking it up in parallel with a car battery and after it's been running for a few minutes (it's not exactly driveable or I'd take it on a ride... Needs brake work and fork seals) and try the test again this afternoon...

Is there any other way to test the starter, to make sure it's in good shape (to validate any compression readings)?

I feel like I should clarify or whatever... The guy I got the bike from had some... interesting fixes. For example, the rear fender was not actually bolted on - it just had some long skinny bolts pulled through the holes from the inside and bent over. The foot boards on it are definitely NOT meant for it - if they were, the front half of your feet would be meant to sit up underneath the valve covers haha... When I got it, it had well over 5 quarts of oil in it. SO... That is to say, if there's something super goofy and just... WRONG... about the way it's set up, I a.) didn't do it and b.) don't necessarily know enough about motorcycles to always know it's wrong haha

ANYWAY... Thanks everybody for suggestions - I'll try again this afternoon after work and post results

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

First off let me say Thank You for your dedication to our country by going into the Army . Since the PO seems to have things out of kilter all around this bike , I would surely spend a little time checking the valve clearence . If they are to tight then you have leaks at the valves . I hope your able to sort the bike out have some quality riding over the summer before shipping out to BootCamp .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.