Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently acquired a 1981 GL1100 Interstate and would like to check the compression in the cylinders... I seem to be having trouble finding a compression tester that will fit the threads in my plug holes though. I took one of the plugs to Home Depot and was able to discern that it has an 8mm x 1.25 thread... It seems like everyone else is looking for a 12mm, and the smallest I've been able to find is a 10mm...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Hollow out an old plug and braze in a fitting. Its also handy for pressurizing the cylinder for keeping the valves closed if you ever need to change valve springs or seals.I have several for several engines.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,275 Posts
imported post

Hi Loveit,

Welcome to the forum.

I got my compression tester at Sears and it came with the correct size.

Perhaps you could get the adaptor from them seperately. If not, the complete kit wasn't all that expensive.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hm... I thought about that but... how do you separate the plug portion from the threaded portion? I've never tried such a thing....

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks! I saw that thread earlier myself.

I DID see one of the rubber ended types on Sears' website, mentioned in that thread. And they've got a couple different ones it looks like... Of course, on the page, it doesn't give specifics about the threads, so I'll be going in to check it out one day this week I suppose.

Let me know how your adapter works out.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I just did TONS of research on this and found it is very difficult to find just an adapter. The choices seem to be:
1. make your own from an old spark plug and braze/jb weld/epoxy another fitting to it.
2. buy a set with the correct fitting. I believe the correct fitting is 12mm (x1.25). I just looked back and saw you said it was 8mm? Sure doesn't seem right...

I will try to make my own when I get some time, as the moneys kind of tight now, and I don't really need it. I don't think my set has the right adapter, as it only has one. Also, I will make it so I can use my air compressor to hold the valves up when I change stem seals sometime later this summer. If it ever stops raining. Ever. STOPS. RAINING!!!!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Just clip off the gap tag, and break off the insulator..good shot with a hammer and then some pulling and prying and it comes out..then tap it to fit your current adapter and screw it together..then you have a removable adapter just like downtown..

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Done. Made one. Tapped with 1/4" npt pipe tap, epoxied in a 6" piece of pipe. Now I can use regular air fittings, which my tester uses. Hurray!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

By the WAY!

I'm an idiot.

It was in fact a 12mm.

And the compression tester had a 14mm thread

I still wasn't able to find an adapter locally and ended up making one...

I blame my friend that was with me, writing down measurements and other information - there was clearly some breakdown in communication there haha... I looked and the paper all that stuff was written on DEFINITELY says 8mm...

Anyway... Whatever, on to other issues!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.