Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a way of knowing if a GL1500 has a CompuFire HO alternator installed without any panel removal or test instruments involved.
Anyone care to venture a guess how it is done? :)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have a way of knowing if a GL1500 has a CompuFire HO alternator installed without any panel removal or test instruments involved.
Anyone care to venture a guess how it is done? :)
Simple, ask the owner. If he/she doesn't know, it just ain't that important.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It’s larger in size than stock?

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
Maybe the lights don't go dim at idle?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Leave the key on so the battery goes low and compare engine RPM loss due to the alternator load on engine?????? Don't tell us yet. Only if we are getting close.

So you are saying you are sitting on the bike at a quiet stop sign with no tools and no panels off? You don't have to get off the bike???b Works for any ones 1500???

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leave the key on so the battery goes low and compare engine RPM loss due to the alternator load on engine?????? Don't tell us yet. Only if we are getting close.
On the right track, well, sort of.
So you are saying you are sitting on the bike at a quiet stop sign with no tools and no panels off? You don't have to get off the bike???b Works for any ones 1500???
Yes

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Got something to do with the parasitic affect on horsepower???? Like when you apply the brakes and other accessories the RPM drop is greater than a standard??? Your wheelies aren't as high??? :p

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got something to do with the parasitic affect on horsepower???? Like when you apply the brakes and other accessories the RPM drop is greater than a standard??? Your wheelies aren't as high??? :p
You are on the ball.(y)

One of the first 1500's I ever worked on was for a man who wanted his Compu Fire installed. After brakes, belts,exhaust,carbs,fluids,fork seals,driveshaft boot and of course the alternator. It was time to back it out of the stall for him to pick it up that day. When I hit reverse I could here the engine idle drop way down. Uh ooh, something not right here was my first thought until I made the connection to the CompuFire claim of 60A at idle. Sure enough those alternators can kick out some serious amperage and I estimate it to be about 35A more at idle when using reverse.

The reverse system draws about 80A and in your OEM 40A equipped ride the alternator is near or over capacity from the get go so all current is direct from battery with no extra current from alternator hence no idle RPM load drop.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You are on the ball.(y)

One of the first 1500's I ever worked on was for a man who wanted his Compu Fire installed. After brakes, belts,exhaust,carbs,fluids,fork seals,driveshaft boot and of course the alternator. It was time to back it out of the stall for him to pick it up that day. When I hit reverse I could here the engine idle drop way down. Uh ooh, something not right here was my first thought until I made the connection to the CompuFire claim of 60A at idle. Sure enough those alternators kick out some serious amperage and I estimated it to be about 35A more at idle when using reverse.

The reverse system draws about 80A and in your OEM 40A equipped ride the alternator is near or over capacity from the get go so all current is direct from the battery with no noticeable extra current from the alternator hence no idle RPM drop.
Good puzzle. I learned why you don't always need a volt/ammeter to know your alternator failed. The bike will idle at 1100 instead of 750 RPM.. Fun to figure out JD. 🆒 😎

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Will it not do that with OEM alternator?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a stock stator reconfigured from parallel to series for a 1500, and it put out 66amps. Just not at idle. The rotor is just too small to generate current. The compu-fire I sold in my 1500 had well over 100,000 miles on it and worked perfectly. Funny how they don’t work on the 1800.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Will it not do that with OEM alternator?
No idle RPM drop with OEM alternator when using reverse. The CompuFire if memory serves correct drops about 200RPM when producing the extra amperage during reverse. Perhaps one of the guys with a real CompuFire can confirm that RPM number drop. I had another ride which the owner claimed was a HO Chinlee alternator and it did not drop the RPM down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts