Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1993 GL1500 that I am trying to install a new compu-fire alter

nator in. I can get the alternator in the cavity but can't get it into place.:?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi and welcome to the forum i asumme you cant get it into the houseing you will need to match up the spilnes on the rubber dampers near enough then wiggle it into place while twisting it lightly dont pull the alt in with the bolts as you will cause damage

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

I had enough trouble with the stock one. Those dampers wouldn't line up. Others had the alternator in the first go round. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

It wll fit, you just have to get it just right and all of a sudden it falls into place

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

The instructions sayremove the passenger foot plate (two bolts) doesn't add much but makes iteasier to see.Insert the alt. back end first with the tab on the rear of alt. at 6 o'clockafter its in twist alt. sotab is at 5 o'clock. The alt. will be hitting tubing I think steel brake line. You will have to put some (force) pressure against that line and then turn it into place. This is from the instructions from my install.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I just put one in my bike. It is hard but it is possible. You need to rotate the rotor as you move it into position.Just when you think it is impossible it will fall into place. Dont give up.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the insite. I finally got it in tonight.

The alternator makes a lot of noise when running. Is this normal?

Ron

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

R Knop wrote:
Thanks for the insite. I finally got it in tonight.

The alternator makes a lot of noise when running. Is this normal?

Ron
No it will mke some but is it that bad and did it fit ok as in easy

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hell, I had trouble getting the Stock alternator to fit back in. And then Exivid laughed at me for it. Grin.

After wiggling and twisting for it seemed like hours the damn thing just fell in.

It was like magic. and I was tempted to pull it back out and try it again.

BUT I'm not that stupid.

Glad it worked out for you.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yes when I got it just right it fell in. Every thing lined up and I was able to push it in to the oring with little Eford. The noise is pretty noticeable. No noise at idle. No vibration.

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.