Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchaseda compufire alternator from Cyclemax in ohio. I put the alternator on and it worked good for about a month then it started putting out 15 or more volts. I called Cyclemax and asked who to return it to for the warranty and was told I need to send it back to Compufire in California, so I did-a month ago!!!! Have called them 4 times talked to their customer service department as to why after 3 weeks of having the alternator they had not fixed or replaced it. Each time I was told the same thing I'll check on it and get back to you, nothing, I called back a 4th time today to be informed they had shipped out a replacement last Tuesday, which I still have not recieved. Bottom line for me is the alternator may be good but compufire's customer service sucks eggs!!!!!!!!!Thank god I only upgraded and that my stock alternator still worked or I would have missed 5 weeks of summer riding at least. Sorry for the rant but I felt like someone should know and I couldn't find a place to write a review!!!!!!! May just put it in my trailer box for a spare.

:thumbsdown:Compufire

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Thanks for that heads-up. I have a Compufire. Hope I never have to use customer service.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Same could be said for Honda.
Good product, lousy customer service.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

For future reference, the Compufire is actually a Delco CS-121 alternator with a redesigned face plate so it will mate with the GL1500's. And it is identical on the inside to a CS-130 so a rebuild kit for a CS-130 will work. But that also means that it would be real easy for any alternator shop to also do the work. One other thing that would be different would be the front seal which is made by Chicago Rawhide Part #9878. I found this info at www.bobsold.goldwingfacts.com in the GL1500 section. For information on repairing these alternators, you can find the info on These Pages.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Wise idea not to get rid of your stock O.E.M. alternator if it is still working.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Compufire have bad rep with overseas customers. They give them the runaround.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Finally got the alternator, left it lay for a couple of weeks then decided to put it back in. Lot easier the second time around!!!!Gonna try it on my vacation to Pensacola Beach in september with my wife, gonna have the spare in the camper. Did call Gary at Cyclemax and informed him what was going on with Compufire and he called them and complained also, NEVER had a problem with Cyclemax just Compufire!!!!!!! Also had a crack in my 6 month old F4 Customs windshield called them and the replacement was at my house the next day when I got home!! At least not all places have forgotten about customer service!!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I used their starters in my Chopper for about a year. I replaced 4 starters in a year, due to total mechanical failure.

Will never buy their products again.:?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

You can always get a new rectifier put into that alternator at any local alternator shop. It only takes a few minutes to do, after all it is just a Saturn alternator after all.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Would've fixed it myself had I known but it was still under warranty. Try to give companies benefit of the doubt and besides I had a working spare. Will know better with any further dealings with Compufire though!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I put a compufire on my 1500 last spring and immediately it burned out the High Beams in my Sylvannia Silver star bulbs. Both high beams simultaneously... poof! So I replaced them... they last for a few days and poof! Both high beams burned out again. So I replaced them with regular lamps (Not silver star) POOF! Immeadiately... both high beams burned out simultaneously...

I have to figure they are related...

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yep that's how mine were, the alternator was putting out 15.2 volts and burnt out my headlights, if you don't have one you may want to check your output with a voltmeter to make sure it's not too high

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.