Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry xmas to everyone,

I was riding home the other day, and I notice that my volt meter was going down, indicating that my bran new alternator has started to fail.

I got home, but the battery had little to no life left.
I recharge the battery and started the bike and tested the volt coming out of the alternator.
At the time I placed it in the bike its was given me a 13v output at 1000rpm
now its around 12.3volts.

So why, I called cyclemax, they are happy for me to send it back at my cost ($90.00) and if they cant find any thing wrong with it its going to cost me another $90.00 to get it back, plus the time it takes to get it from Australia to the states and back.

So if I take it apart, what should I be looking for...my auto electrician believes its the brushes...
Has anyone experience the same problem...
any help will be appreciated, as its summer here in Perth and the bike is in bits again.

thanks you:);)

·
Pwhoever
3,340 Posts
Did you try getting in touch with compufire directly? http://compufire.com/ Otherwise, FYI, the compufire is actually a Delphi CS121 and any alternator shop should be able to rebuild it. And the inside parts are also identical to a CS130. So if you got a rebuild kit for either of those, you should be ok. The only difference you will run into though is the front seal. It is a Chicago rawhide part # 9878 and this may interchange with others...

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
As Mike is posting, working with the manufactureris prolly best if you suspect an alternator fault.

Take a second to review connections both into and out-from the alternator (the field wire should be seeing solid battery voltage when running), and it's not uncommon to see an aged battery fail at the higher charge voltage/rate from the upgrade,

A few documents that can help you to self-repair (saving the mint on shipping) ar linked here -- Since the internal bits and rear case are mostly from the Delco CS-121/130 family, parts should be quite available. The CS-121 and CS-130 alternators were massively deployed in General Motors cars and light trucks in the mid-late '90s (GMC, Chevrolet, etc - the Holden Suburban 5.7L should have this alternator in most applications as well).

For reference, here's:
  1. a link to a hosted PDF file of a reasonable service manual for the CS-130 / CS-121 alternator
  2. a direct link to an aftermarket application guide tht may help to cross-reference vehicle application to the CS-130/ CS-121 alternator family (look in the "Family" column) if you need to sniff-out a few parts by vehicle application, if your auto-parts counters have become as weak as ours here in the states
Do have a proper look through the bike, and measure the alternator output at the alternator itself for comparison to what you're seeing at the battery. Just to confirm a diagnosis before getting too far.

Ken mentions the rotors failing - Tests are about 1/2-way down that service manual PDF... on page 5 -- best place to look, once you've got it opened

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.