Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a Compufire Alternator I installed about February of this year. I have to admit that I am please EXCEPT for one issue... a VERY big issue.

When I installed the thing it burned out both the High Beam filaments immediately. Attributing this to a "start up spike" and the fact that the older bulbs had been "burned in" under a different voltage... I replaced the bulbs. These lasted for about three months and then POW, both high beams filaments burned out simultaneously again.

It does not seem to effect the low beams... just the highs...

This is getting troublesome and somewhat expensive...

Justathought: Would it be possible to put a linear straight line voltage regulator inline with the high beams to restrict the power to exactly 12v to the high beams. Components for this sort of thing are pretty cheap and from what I can learn online coupled with my ancient college electricity coursework doesn't look that hard to build.

Thoughts... suggestions?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the output from the alternator? If its close to or over 16 volts the regulator could be faulty.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I haven't checked it since I installed it and the time it seemed fine. Will do second test tonight...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Interesting. I have a compufire installed on my Wing and run high beam quite a bit and have never had an issue. Sounds like it might be a voltage issue with that alternator. I'd be interested to know what you figure out on this one.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

There was a thead here a while back about the same thing. I'm not sure but I think it turned out to be the bulb he was using. The filiament of the newer bulb just couldn't handle the shock and vibration of a bike. I beleive he went back to a standard bulb and the problem went away........

Or I could just be flat out wrong................................:raspberry:

What bulb are you using?????

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

93Wing wrote:
The one's that originally burned out within moments of my installing the alt. were Sylvannia Silverstars. The second pair were just the regular set of whatever Autozone sells. Actually this thought had occurred to me and I was going to see if there was such a thing as a Heavy Duty bulb.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

As far as I know I still have factory lights. I haven't replaced any since I've owned the Wing. That may be a valid issue.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
93Wing wrote:

The one's that originally burned out within moments of my installing the alt.  were Sylvannia Silverstars.  The second pair were just the regular set of whatever Autozone sells.  Actually this thought had occurred to me and I was going to see if there was such a thing as a Heavy Duty bulb.
Have you contacted Compufire on this to see what they thought about it? They are pretty good people.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Most likely automotive bulbs not able to take the vibration.. Use Silverstar H4-ST, the Silverstar ULTRA or a number of other heavy duty bulbs.. (or just keep changing them..) This has been discussed before so you should be able to search for other examples.. although the slightly higher voltage of the compufire could be a small contributor to the issue..

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I put a CompuFire on my '88 over 35,000 miles ago, and have yet to replace a bulb.

I'll be watching this one . . . curious . . . :?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,655 Posts
imported post

On the SilverStars, be sure it is the one rated for M/C use.

Been there, done that.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

gotcha... great advise from great folks. Hi, ho, hi, ho, it of to Walmart I go...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Let us know what you find out please. I dont want to go throught the same thing when one of my headlights burn out.

Gotta love Wally World :ROFL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.