Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone.

The question: will a GL1000 comstar rear wheel fit on a GL1200?

The story: I have GL1200 Interstate/EML-GT2000sidecar-rig. I never take off the sidecar as the bike is fittet with a sidecar front fork. Unfortunately the bike uses normal motorcycle tires. I really need more grip, especially in the winter when it gets slippery and snowy (yeah, I ride all year round). Also, tire changing has to be done every a bit too often. I would really like to fit a car tire on both wheels of the bike. Not so easy as car tires dont fit motorcycle tires. So I was thinking if I could fit a Comstar wheel and machine a car wheel rim to fit... I have asked EML and the dont work on old bikes anymore. I have asked EZS, and the never answer. Oh, and I am situated in Denmark

Regards

Soren

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

no, only the 1200 wheels will work on a 1200. I have an eml rear and having the car radial tyre is very nice indeed.... unfortunately the eml leading link front end was ruined by a tree. I thought eml had gone out of business? you might search the site for the united sidecar association to see if there is a manufacture who does a rear, but with the 1200 being a 20+ year old bike, I doubt it

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

sfeilberg wrote:
Hi everyone.

The question: will a GL1000 comstar rear wheel fit on a GL1200?

The story: I have GL1200 Interstate/EML-GT2000sidecar-rig. I never take off the sidecar as the bike is fittet with a sidecar front fork. Unfortunately the bike uses normal motorcycle tires. I really need more grip, especially in the winter when it gets slippery and snowy (yeah, I ride all year round). Also, tire changing has to be done every a bit too often. I would really like to fit a car tire on both wheels of the bike. Not so easy as car tires dont fit motorcycle tires. So I was thinking if I could fit a Comstar wheel and machine a car wheel rim to fit... I have asked EML and the dont work on old bikes anymore. I have asked EZS, and the never answer. Oh, and I am situated in Denmark

Regards

Soren
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi Rodger,
thank for your speedy response. Too bad about the Comstar wheel. It would have been an easier fix. EML still exists. They now have a 2-wheeler sidecar. The "extra" wheel is a front wheel that is connected to the bikes front wheel. Looks really stupid if you ask me. But should work very well.

http://www.emlsidecar.com/gttwinframeeng.htm

I am working on www.EZS-sidecar.com for a rear wheel. if they are willing to help I know it will be expensive.

Hey Ray,
Thanks for welcome. I'll bet there are many more just listening in and getting a lot of info out of this great forum. I knowI have.

Soren

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello Soren . If I understand , you would like to fit a car wheel onto a bike wheel hub assy . In that case if the standard 1200 wheel fits your front suspension , could you find another cast aluminum spoke wheel , machine it to fit into an aluminum car wheel the size you desire ? Then have the 2 wheels weld together. The Comstar wheel is not so strong and the rivets will/can work loose . Another thought would be lots more work ....find a wheel /hub/brake assy from one of those small 3 wheel cars I see in pictures ( at least in England ) and measure / fit that assembly into your fork .

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

hello and welcome to the forum, you cannot use a comstar rim but you can with a little modification use the rear wheel from a 1500

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

where there's a will there's whey

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

yes ezs is expensive, I got a goute from them on just the front end after my eml front was destroyed (the tree did just fine) and it just wasn't worth spending the money. Fortunately I still had the unused OEM front end. EML was very pricey as well. I spent as much on the sidecar/conversion kit as I did for the bike.... and that was unassembled and in the crate

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi detdrbuzzard,
I thought only the 1800 would fit car tires. Do you know of where I might find some info on the 1500 rear end switch?

Soren

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi all, again,
well I still haven't heard from EZS and I probably won't either. But will wait a bit longer. Looking into the 1500 rear wheel switch. Next I will try and find someone about modifying a car rim. Not that easy though...

Soren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.