Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking at buying a '82 GL1100a fitted with the 5 spoke comstars. Where they are bolted to the hubs there is what appears to be a crack on each spoke from the bolt centres or is this the way they are put together? bike has 79000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The spokes are double items backed together, so the "crack" is probably where they join back to back or the normal production ones coming from the bolt holes. If there are other cracks coming from the bolt holes then the wheel will need replacing. The Comstars were a problem on the GL1000 and GL1100, they weren't able for the weight and developed cracks, mostly where the rivets are.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Those cracks you're looking at are how they are made! I've looked at several older Wings wheels to make sure, it's wierd but nothing to worry about! Famous last words, right!:walker:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Mine have those "cracks" as well, they are just the production joins. Any other one would not be normal. Those wheels usually crack at the outer edges where the rivets are. Jason is right, they gave trouble but I still think they are better than the spoked wheels on the early GL1000.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys, thought that was the case, just wanted to be sure. Rivet ends of the spokesare fine.

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Ah No ! ! :gunhead: More Cracks. :baffled: Is this a recall. ! ! :cooldevil: :18red::18red::18red::18red::18red::18red: :18white::18gold:

Wingnut Redwing Wexman Littlejohn Marky BigAl ???? ????

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I had a new CX with comstars years ago and the rear wheel had to be replaced after 8 months/2000 miles because of looseness in the rivets. They were a great idea - no more rusted or loose spokes - but the coms had their own problems.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I'm well over 400,000klm on my 82 and no problems. All trips have been double up with a fully loaded kit, including tent and bedroll strapped to the trunk rack and on some wicked roads through the Yukon that actualy took out my rear shocks, but no problem with the wheels.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
I'm well over 400,000klm on my 82 and no problems.
I don't think that the problems with Comstars were as widespread as some people think. Granted they were more of a problem with the GL1000, but they were far stronger on the GL1100. Most of the cracked rear wheels on the CX500, 650 etc were down to seized mono shocks. When the shocks seized (they all did on the CX) the wheels didn't have a chance and the rivets got loose or broke away, cracks appeared in the mounting spots and so on...

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The Comstars were the answer to a prayer for anyone used to rusted spokes, loose spokes, bent spokes, rattling spokesetc. No maintenance on the Comstars to worry about. The only thing I liked about the spoked wheels was that small imbalances in the wheel could be tweaked out. My uncle was a wheel builder right up to his retirement in the mid-80s. He used to travel around the bike shops in Durham and other counties and repair the wheels that had been accumulated during the week and there was never a shortage of work for him. Kept him in a trade all his life as wheelbuilders were all dying off at the time. He seen the writing on the wall though and wouldn't allow my cousins to follow him into the trade (his dad had been a wheelbuilder as well).
Comstar type wheels were the bridge between spokes and modern lightweight alloy wheels. They weren't perfect but they were better than spokes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.