Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Folks -

I have a 1976 GL1000 that I would like to convert to comstar wheels. I have already put a comstar on the back - it went on without a hitch, and looks great.

I have not been able to determine, however, if a comstar from, say, a '78 wing will fit as easily. I already know that the brake disk are not the same - the 76 has 6 bolt holes, the comstar has 5. Also, the spacing between the disks is different. Elsewhere on this web site somebody mentioned that any gl1000 wheel will fit any gl1000 year, but I suspect that not be true.

I need to know - what will I need to put a 78 wheel on my 76? What will I have to swap? Calipers? Caliper mounts? Forks? The whole front end?

For those of you who say, "keep your spokes", sorry - they are a rusted mess, and I already have a front wheel coming from eBay. There has to be a way!

Thanks again -

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

You'll need '78 or '79 front brake rotors because the wire-wheel rotors won't fit, and you might need a '78 or '79 speedo drive (I think it's on the left for the Comstars). The rest should be plug and play.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure I won't need later calipers and/or mounts? I know for a fact that the rotor spacing is different from '76 to '78. I have both in my yard right now. Unfourtunatly, I sold the 78 on ebay this week and can't grab any parts off it.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If I'm correct the calipers and forks are pretty much the same. According tohttp://www.goldwinginfo.com/index.htmlthey have different part numbers, but that might only mean a change in paint color or some other detail.

You might just have to experiment with it, but I'm pretty certain the only thing you'll have to change is the rotors and maybe the speedo drive.

As far as rotor spacing, the rotor mounting flange spacing on the wheel is different, hence the different rotors.

Of course I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Mark, any gl1000 wheel will swap between the years, its just the rotors that are the problem, like the other guys said.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Mark,

Here's a list of what you'll need if you want to put a 78-79 comstar on a 75-77 Wing:

1. 78-79 forks or fork lowers
  2. 78-79 front brake caliper brackets (the 75-77 calipers will bole right up)
  3. 78-79 front brake rotors
  4. 78-79 speedo drivew/gear box retainer
  5. 78-79 front fender (purely for looks, the fair lead for the speedo cable is on the other side).
I think that's everything............

If you make the change, make sure you switch the direction of the front axle! If the axle's in backwards, the brakes (rotors & calipers) won't go together without binding.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dang - That's a lot. Oh, well - thank God for eBay! I will report back when it's all done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.