Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Kentucky which is an open carry state. I have a conceal carry license as do most gun owners around these parts. I carried for the first time last year on our cross country trip and was surprised when we got to Utah. We stopped at a restaurant and saw three people with their guns right there in front of the world for God and everyone to see. Here's my thinking. If I would have been a bad guy, I would have known who to target first. They also didn't find the best places to sit. They never would have seen me coming. I was just wondering if people in open carry states do so or prefer to conceal carry.

·
Administrator
25,366 Posts
Bad guys are mostly not as bad as they think and are not going to risk a fight with someone they know is armed. You're more likely to be hassled by the cops.

·
Premium Member
39,098 Posts
I have stood in line behind people open carrying and thought how dumb they were. Not because they were possibly making themselves a target to be shot, but to be relieved of their weapon while they are busy talking or ordering food.

Example: I was in line at Arbys, the man in front of me was carrying a nice Sig in the small of his back. While he was intent on giving his order i could have had his gun, shot the place up or just ran out the door into the night.

Carry however you wish, but is looking cool, bad azz, or being Quick draw MacGraw worth the risk?

·
Administrator
25,366 Posts
If I were to open carry it would be in a retention holster, like the cops use for that reason.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I live in Tennessee and we have open and concealed carry but I see few that open carry...

While I do carry concealed, I have NEVER been a fan of open carry, for all the logical reasons, and the fact that it is just plain unnerving to me... My wife goes ballistic when she sees open carry and I can't say I blame her...

Just one man's (and woman's) opinion... Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have never been a fan of open carry just because of many the reason stated above. I would rather carry concealed with no one knowing but myself and my wife that I have a gun on my body.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Just finished mapping out a ride for Late May from Virginia to Oregon and back and checked the CC laws. From Virginia all the way to the California line I am legal. For the corner of Ca I will be going through I have to lock the gun up. Once I get to Oregon it has to be open carry. Leaving Or coming back a bit further North I am legal all the way home to Va.

Just found it interesting that I can go 2900 miles then all of a sudden it is an issue:doh:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
just look at calif. population and you will understand more illegal then citizen's

·
Registered
378 Posts
I open carry when I go to Virginia because that is the only legal option for me there until my CCW goes through. BUT, I also have a level three retention holster so there in no way someone can steal the weapon unless they get their hand in the draw position from my position, which is close to impossible for someone else to do, but even if they did they would have to know it is a level three holster and know how to release it. And by that time they will have already found out that the elbow is also a lethal weapon! Elbow to throat, game over. Palm upwards to nose, game really over. If they are in that close and determined to get a gun that will not come out then they are at my mercy.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
IIRC I don't think Illinois likes anyone's concealed carry permits. Went from SW Missouri to NE Indiana and hoped my shirt did not blow up in Illinois( in therory of course).

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
896 Posts
Michigan is an Open Carry w/o permit state.
The Law reads like this..

"Carrying a handgun without a CPL license in Michigan is legal with a few restrictions. You cannot open carry at a business or grocery store that sell's alcohol. Residents of Michigan can open carry a handgun without a CPL license if the gun is registered to their name."

I have never carried open- have never felt the need to. I seldom carry at all even though I'm able to. About the only times I do carry is when I have my wife and children with me, such as at a some type of event, or when traveling through high crime areas, and of course when going to the club/gun range.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I carry concealed, and have a NY unrestricted permit and a Utah non-resident permit. I would not consider open carry if it were even possible here primarily to maintain the element of the unknown, and because here in NewYorkistan we have a problem with people who, on the occasion of seeing a firearm, just freak out.

In my opinion, they've been trained by the media to connote "guns" and "violence" (just listen to how often you'll hear the term "gun violence", a purposeful use of the term) and they don't know how to respond emotionally to the sight of an inert tool like a firearm.

Please note the use of the words "in my opinion", and understand that I respect and defend your right to have your own.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand why I can carry in the wide open with out any license or training. Now if I want to put on a jacket that will hide the gun, I have to attend a class, take a test and be licensed by the state. Including the highway patrol and county sheriff.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Florida does not have an open carry thou I wished it had . It is for those times when my shirt lift up while riding or pick up something from a high shelf with a short t shirt.
The law says that your gun could be temporarily visible
(accidentally) while removing your coat or such.
I'm not against open carry but I prefer conceal.
People are fuleshly talking about you making yourself a victim.
Guys with guns try to rob people not kill them . If I would plan to rob someone at gun point and I see a person carrying a gun and other not I would rob the one that does not show a gun.
Same applies for a gun in a holster. Some people would steal it if they could but nobody will pull it out of your holster and hold it against you.
If people want you killed they will run you down.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
103 Posts
Bad guys are mostly not as bad as they think and are not going to risk a fight with someone they know is armed. You're more likely to be hassled by the cops.

That sounds pretty reasonable assumption , makes pretty good sense to me.

When I first moved to Arizona , out of the blue I decided to open carry a day or two.

It felt really awkward to me . But I grew up in family that was mostly shotgun shooting, hunting. I pretty much shot a shotgun every other weekend with my dad, summer through winter.

Once in while Deer Hunt with Rifles or Shotguns. I might have shot a 22 pistol with my dad and that was it. It was not until I was well into adulthood did I even know my dad had a few pistols . And to top it off I grew in one of the most Anti Gun States in the Union.

I freaked , my first gun show here I seen people carrying rifles into the show to sell as they walk around , so they had no gun cases. I was like what ? Now I am not the least bit concerned.

But see where I grew up the cops would hassle you if gun not in trunk and in a case with ammo away from it. Now here in Az they don' t like gun under seat without a CCW Permit. ( I think that has changed now since anyone can conceal now)

If I were a Cop , Id rather a person have the gun under the seat than on the seat.

I mean once quick move they shoot anyway.

·
Administrator
25,366 Posts
Not that anyone asked but that is too much gun for me. It is not mine. The stucco guy wanted me to see it.
There you go: you'll feel safer around me
But they are fun & cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
IIRC I don't think Illinois likes anyone's concealed carry permits. Went from SW Missouri to NE Indiana and hoped my shirt did not blow up in Illinois( in therory of course).
For what it is worth, you can concealed carry in Illinois as long as you stay in close proximity of your vehicle as if you were getting gas or getting something out of your trunk. If you stop at a convenience store for gas you can not carry that weapon into the store, You would have to unholster and unload and lock it in the trunk or saddlebag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, if all y'all can have a thread about y'alls bows and arrows, I should be able to start one about shuriken and nunchaku. :grin3: In the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, our conceal carry permits are actually referred to as CCDW where the DW stands for deadly weapon. Here is a snippet of the law:

LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED DEADLY WEAPONS IN KENTUCKY Kentucky’s license to carry concealed deadly weapons law became effective October 1, 1996 and is contained in KRS 237.110 through 237.136. The following summarizes the main provisions of the current law and includes the 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006 amendments. I. Deadly WeaponsAs used in the Kentucky Penal Code, (See KRS 500.080.) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following: (a) A weapon of mass destruction; (b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious physical injury, may be discharged; (c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife; (d) Billy, nightstick, or club; (e) Blackjack or slapjack; (f) Nunchaku karate sticks; (g) Shuriken or death star; or (h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

This question came to mind when someone said that their state allows conceaded pistol carry. Are most states that restrictive? In other words, if I come to visit you, should I leave my nukes at home?

P.S. If you're wondering why Kentucky allows such liberty. Simple. We don't allow idiots to vote. It's in our state constitution. "Idiots" and "insane" persons shall not have the right to vote. KY. CONST. § 145(3).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts