Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, this morning I set off from home to make my way to work and found the side roads around our house to be very icy and slippery.

Not good I thought (my first winter on a 1500, last seven have been on a 1100), just take your time, nice and steady until you get to the main road (about 700mts). Got to the end of one road and it is a 90° right turn, very steady nice and slow and gently work her round the corner, did it, now 200mts to the main road and straight, but still very icy, OK I say to myself just stay at a low steady speed (about walking pace) and just keep her upright.

Next thing back wheel comes out from under me
(my thoughts are, I don’t want this to hit the road hard or me) I manage to lay her down on the offside while going down at the same time on to the crash guards. I then crawl out from under the bike and stand there looking down thinking, how the hell do I lift this given the road is slippery and I won’t get any grip with my feet when I start the lift (I know how to lift one of these correctly).

I look around and a man with his dog is coming towards me, he says “do you want a lift?”, “yes please” I reply ,
“I used to have one of these” he say’s. And then together we get her back up on to the side stand. Quick inspection and all is well (I am very pleased
). Start he back up, the guy say’s, try the gutter it isn’t slippery there. I had to reverse the bike and then go forward to get to the gutter (the bike had ended up lying across the road) and then continued on my way to the main road.

What an experience that was, really put the frighteners on me.

Anyway got to work and had a brew, all’s well that end’s well.

Crezz

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Glad you came out of it OK.

I have to ask, do you live near Wigan Pier.
Bob,

I live about 6 miles from Wigan pier :cheeky1:Tyldesley more near Atherton, which is more near Leigh, which is more near Hindley, which is more near Wigan :dude:

Crezz

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Wow, glad you came out of it with nothing but a story and a bruised ego! Ice is not fun on a GoldWing. :shock:

John

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I hit some ice last season (back ice) on my trike, it was the funniest thing, I just could do nothing, it took everything in me not to put my feet down, as usual. I felt so helpless just turning circles, 3 1/2 of them, in slow motion, or was that me seeing slow motion... It's not fun whatever you ride.:shock:

Glad nothing serious came out of it Crezz.

Another misspelled word crept in there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I always thought that was residual tobacco stains left over from the days when I smoked, thanks for telling me it's actually adrenalin.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

You can do everything correctly and ice will still win. Glad you and your bike are OK!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

So you've got a pair of underwear that must now be burned? ;)

We'll name that brown stuff - uuuh - Adrenalin. Yeah....

Congrats on dealing with the devil, and only bruising your ego!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I'm glad you came out mostly OK. The unexpected weather can be the downfall of any rider.

I have been riding in a few tough weather spots myself. My two most memorable were 60 miles of black ice at night at elevation in Painted Desert riding from Leupp, Navajo Reservation to Flagstaff, AZ and a Whiteout Snow Sqall conditions that came down Mount Rose - off The Sierras and Lake effect snow off of Tahoe storming down to lake Washoe in Nevada - known as the "Washoe Zephyr". This hit as I was riding at night in February from Reno, NV to Carson City, NV. Stories for another time but both times I made up the following approach - worked for me - still left me shaken - but upright and safe.

1) Feet went down to pavement level - either hovering just above the pavement or at times in "contact" with the Ice or deep slush (one reason I wear goretex lined hiking boots always). Like water skiiing. There is very little friction since the ice/snow slicks the way.

2) Emergency Flashers on.

3) Low speed - 5 to 20 mph depending on conditions and road grade. You can use the throttle to move out of low zones or steer like a car "into the turn" or towards the straight away ahead. The legs can serve as suport like an outrigger. Do NOT lean or you will lose it steer and turn in a pure upright position and slowly.

The biggest challenge is grade and road camber - only you can work that out. But I envision it like a dirt bike in the mud - always head up the grade and throttle on to climb - but take it easy heading down grade. Try to ride as "flat" and possible.

Just my approach that has worked for me.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
I'm glad you came out mostly OK. The unexpected weather can be the downfall of any rider.

I have been riding in a few tough weather spots myself. My two most memorable were 60 miles of black ice at night at elevation in Painted Desert riding from Leupp, Navajo Reservation to Flagstaff, AZ and a Whiteout Snow Sqall conditions that came down Mount Rose - off The Sierras and Lake effect snow off of Tahoe storming down to lake Washoe in Nevada - known as the "Washoe Zephyr". This hit as I was riding at night in February from Reno, NV to Carson City, NV. Stories for another time but both times I made up the following approach - worked for me - still left me shaken - but upright and safe.

1) Feet went down to pavement level - either hovering just above the pavement or at times in "contact" with the Ice or deep slush (one reason I wear goretex lined hiking boots always). Like water skiiing. There is very little friction since the ice/snow slicks the way.

2) Emergency Flashers on.

3) Low speed - 5 to 20 mph depending on conditions and road grade. You can use the throttle to move out of low zones or steer like a car "into the turn" or towards the straight away ahead. The legs can serve as suport like an outrigger. Do NOT lean or you will lose it steer and turn in a pure upright position and slowly.

The biggest challenge is grade and road camber - only you can work that out. But I envision it like a dirt bike in the mud - always head up the grade and throttle on to climb - but take it easy heading down grade. Try to ride as "flat" and possible.

Just my approach that has worked for me.

Makes mine sound pretty tame I suppose Blackdog :(.

Thanks for everyone's words of comfort and wisdom. :)

Crezz

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Those moments are when time stands still. I remember running over a patch of diesel in my Grand Wagoneer (8 cylinders, constant 4wd) and thinking brown thoughts. I had no control of the vehicle and just dumb luck meant I didn't strike out. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

cymru wrote:
Those moments are when time stands still. I remember running over a patch of diesel in my Grand Wagoneer (8 cylinders, constant 4wd) and thinking brown thoughts. I had no control of the vehicle and just dumb luck meant I didn't strike out. :shock:
Time does stand still. When I was 17 (1981) and on my first bike, I hit a car in the front wing at 50mph :shock: (they pulled out in front of me). When I went over the top it was all in slow motion, during the somersault I could see the bike squashing up against the side of the car and then I hit the road, from then on time was back to normal. :cheeky1: But not the bike, that was wrote off :(

Strange sensation I have to say :D

Crezz

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Crezz wrote:
cymru wrote:
Time does stand still. When I was 17 (1981) and on my first bike, I hit a car in the front wing at 50mph :shock: (they pulled out in front of me). When I went over the top it was all in slow motion, during the somersault I could see the bike squashing up against the side of the car and then I hit the road, from then on time was back to normal. :cheeky1: But not the bike, that was wrote off :(

Strange sensation I have to say :D

Crezz
Absolutely, In my mind I can stillsee every piece of glass that rolled by my open face mask when the road raged cager took me down July 4. I can remember the thoughts of thinking - "Huh, so this is what it is like when you die, this road rash is burning kinda hot - I wonder what the final blow will feel like".

During my recovery I asked my doctor about it - the time slowing down. She said that like the "Fight or Flight" response in times of stress - the body jolts you with adrenaline. Time passes normally but the person going through it is so amped up - like superman - that it "seems slow". I had never heard it explained like that - makes sense.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

really glad you and the bike both are well, ride on !!!

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

What is really nice about this forum and others. is how people have expressed concerns and are glad that nothing serious came of it.

Thanks to everyone for all your messages of support.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :cooldj:

Best Regards,

Crezz (Adrian) & Andrea

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Gee Crezz, was that brew a beer or a coffee?? Glad there was a helping hand nearby.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Glad you came out of it OK.

I have to ask, do you live near Wigan Pier.
Bob,

My brothers business is a short distance from Wigan pier in great george Street!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Being a southerner by birth, I was never sure if Wigan pier was real or a joke. We even went to Wigan a few years ago and were supposed to be enlightened at the museum.

But I am still in the dark.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Being a southerner by birth, I was never sure if Wigan pier was real or a joke. We even went to Wigan a few years ago and were supposed to be enlightened at the museum.

But I am still in the dark.
The pier is real and it is still there. It must be the only pier in the world 40 miles from the sea :dude::dude::dude::waving:

Crezz

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

There was a music hall song about "Ashby-de-la-Zouch-by-the-Sea". The joke being you couldn't get further from the sea in the UK than that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.