Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all
I have a need to replace both front oil seals on an 82 GL1100 and having read all the threads I can find and the manual I am totally confused!!
I have never had to strip forks before and am thinking it may be too difficult for me

the manual says to remove head weight but nobody else seems to mention it so do I need to

what is the minimum I need to take apart to replace these seals assuming I take the forks off the bike by loosening the clamp bolts

Does anyone know of a step by step guide that even an idiot like me could follow

how accurate do you need to be with alignment on reinstallation ( the manual mentions using a feeler gauge)

Many thanks for info

Rob

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Check out the index on the home page - under "F" is fork seal replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Just loosen the bolts that hold it in place try to keep them attached if they come all the way out a PITA to get started again..

One other tip loosen the allen bolt at the bottom of the forks..BEFORE you loosen the clamps holding the forks in place..just loosen not remove...

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

There is no need to remove the forks from the bike. All that is required is to remove the wheel and brakes. The screw is then removed from the bottom of the forks, the dust cover is removed to allow access to remove the snap ring in the top of the lower fork. After the snap ring is removed, just slam down the lower and it will come off leaving the seal and bushings on the upper fork. remove the seal, snap ring and dust cap taking note of the order of things when reinstalling. slide the lower tube back up and seat the seal using the pvc pipe and hose clamp, then insert snap ring and seat snap ring with the pipe. Slide the dust cap down and insert into the tube, then repeat the procedure for the other side. Add fluid and reassemble brakes and wheel.

Here is a good post on fork seal replacement and use of the pipe.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/68481.html

I would be happy to help you, but the closest airports are Glasgow and Manchester.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

scotthohio wrote:
There is no need to remove the forks from the bike. All that is required is to remove the wheel and brakes. The screw is then removed from the bottom of the forks, the dust cover is removed to allow access to remove the snap ring in the top of the lower fork. After the snap ring is removed, just slam down the lower and it will come off leaving the seal and bushings on the upper fork. remove the seal, snap ring and dust cap taking note of the order of things when reinstalling. slide the lower tube back up and seat the seal using the pvc pipe and hose clamp, then insert snap ring and seat snap ring with the pipe. Slide the dust cap down and insert into the tube, then repeat the procedure for the other side. Add fluid and reassemble brakes and wheel.

Here is a good post on fork seal replacement and use of the pipe.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/68481.html

I would be happy to help you, but the closest airports are Glasgow and Manchester.
Hi Scott

Thanks for that but i think i must be thick or something cos after the lower is removed do you have to remove the bushings and everything else lower than the seal so it can come off the bottom and then reverse the procedure putting it all back on from the bottom?

is there a 'ledge' or 'stop' for the seal in the lower section so you know how far to push it back into the lower section or is there a specific distance you set the plastic pipe to before you start putting back the lower section?

I will probably be back a couple of times until I get it straight in my head so thanks in advance

Rob

PS whats wrong with Newcastle airport 15 mins from my house;)

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

The bushings do have to be removed.
I used my thumbnails to spread the lower bushing enough to slide it past the lip. A small screwdriver can be used but extra care must be used to prevent damage to the bushing.
After the bushings are removed, they can then be inspected. The lower bushing outer surface and the upper bushing inner surface should both have a nice grey coating on them. If there is any copper showing, then they should be replaced.
I used a bit of tape around the fork at the bushing ridge to allow the seal to slide smoothly when installing new seals.
The lower fork has a shoulder where the seal sits and the snap ring holds it firmly in place actually compressing the seal slightly to give it a good tight fit against the tubes. The pipe should be secured to the upper tube at a distance that allows for easy seating of the seal. You will need to secure the pipe twice. Once for the seal, then again for the snap ring.

As for the airport, I work for US Airways, and wedo not fly there yet.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks scott

That is beginning to make sense now so If the weather holds I will have a go this weekend (I have to work outside on the patio)

You could always get them to strap your wing to the outside of a 747 and just ride up from Manchester, it's only about 3 hours away:cheeky1:

I really am grateful for the help and advice

Safe riding And flying
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

i did it over the winter it looks hard to do like you say but its easy to do when you are done you will think what was all the fuss about

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.