Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Like I said in an earlier thread, I'm new to Goldwing's and now I've run up on an interesting little dilema.

The title said that the bike was a '78 and I trusted it. Well I needed a new ignition switch, so I ordered one from JCWhitney for a '78.

Well, I got to digging around and I found out that the ignition switch I have is a five point swithc and the 78's had six. So I thought that was odd...then I did some more research and found out that the 78's had a guage cluster on the fake tank cover. Mine doesn't....so now I'm thinking it may be older than '78.

Do bikes have VINs? Where would I find it? I've found a few badges and stickers that list the engine size and tire info, but I can't find a VIN or serial number anywhere. And if there is one, who would I take it to find out? Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

OK, I found that, but I thought it might have been a frame number...I've googled it and used carfax and can't get it to come up anywhere...there's no mention of the year it was made just this "GL1-2022498"

Any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

I think a VIN number must have 17 numbers in it ,If you are sitting on the bike it is usually on the right hand side of the top of the frame near the front fork ,,you will have to look at it from underneath and turn the steering to the left ...it is not a label ,but stamped into the frame .whats the frame /vin number on the title ?.cheers Ciaran
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This number I found is stamped into the steering tube on the right of the frame. Is this not what I need?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

Sorry ,they changed VIN numbers to seventeendigits after 1981,,yes I do think that that is the right number you have ,,i will see if I can check the year for you ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
imported post

You should have a large, easy to read label on the stearing neck with the model year in large type.
Honda was taken to court in the mid '70s for selling leftover bikes as the next model year. Thats when they started adding the big labels.
1978 was the first year to have the 3 gauges across the gas tank. Prior to that, they were in the spedo and tach.
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey rOmiLaYu :leprechaun: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

These guys will soon sort out your VIN. :weightlifter:

:3sum::18red::3sum:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

johnmac wrote:
You should have a large, easy to read label on the stearing neck with the model year in large type.
Honda was taken to court in the mid '70s for selling leftover bikes as the next model year. Thats when they started adding the big labels.
1978 was the first year to have the 3 gauges across the gas tank. Prior to that, they were in the spedo and tach.


Thanks for the info. So it is definately a pre-78 bike as all my gauges are in the cluster (which ironically enough is metric. km/h), none on the tank. As for a large, easy to read label...nothing doing. All that is on the steerer neck is "GL1-202248" this is stamped in between two squares with X's in them.

The VIN listed on the title is GL1202248.

Redwing, I agree! I've looked around at some other goldwing sites and this is one felt like a home. Thanks for welcoming me and being so helpful, the lot of you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
991 Posts
imported post

That frame # you posted comes up as a 1976 model. The range for 1966 is as follows;

Frame range; from GL1-2001483 to GL1-2032613
Engine range; from GL1E-2001422 to GL1E-2038639

All the numbers can be had from www.goldwinginfo.com

It's common enough for people to buy new Goldwings after the particular model year is over. I know plenty of people who bought brand new GL1800s last year (2004) that were unsold 2003 models. You get a brand new machine with the current years registration at a cheaper price. In 2002 you could still buy year 2000 GL1500s brand new much cheaper than the newer GL1800. That's just the way it is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
imported post

The large label must be for the US bikes only, to comply with the court settlement.
The km spedo is another giveaway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

johnmac wrote:
The large label must be for the US bikes only, to comply with the court settlement.
The km spedo is another giveaway.


Yeah, I was shocked when I saw the km speedo...There's a sticker on it from some Honda Dealership in Illinois. The owner before the guy that I bought it from had it in Indiana. So why would it have a KM speedo? Is there anyway to tell where it was originally?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

gaswing wrote:
That frame # you posted comes up as a 1976 model. The range for 1966 is as follows;

Frame range; from GL1-2001483 to GL1-2032613
Engine range; from GL1E-2001422 to GL1E-2038639

All the numbers can be had from www.goldwinginfo.com

It's common enough for people to buy new Goldwings after the particular model year is over. I know plenty of people who bought brand new GL1800s last year (2004) that were unsold 2003 models. You get a brand new machine with the current years registration at a cheaper price. In 2002 you could still buy year 2000 GL1500s brand new much cheaper than the newer GL1800. That's just the way it is.


Awesome! Thanks for the help, man. You've been very helpful...I'm sure I'll be back to that site in the future.

Thanks to you all!
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

gaswing wrote:
It's common enough for people to buy new Goldwings after the particular model year is over. I know plenty of people who bought brand new GL1800s last year (2004) that were unsold 2003 models. You get a brand new machine with the current years registration at a cheaper price. In 2002 you could still buy year 2000 GL1500s brand new much cheaper than the newer GL1800. That's just the way it is.
Hey gaswing :stumped: What i have highlighted in red is not politically correct.:baffled: That only applies if the model has been discontinued :byebye:as you have stated about the :15red:but would not apply to the present :18red:unless you were lucky enough to find a (s)dealer who was short of a few bucks. :cussing:

:dance: :18red: :dance:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

Does your Vin # on your title match the:baffled: frame?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Yeah, it's the same number...I'm thinking this bike might have been made over seas? Since it doesn't have the big sticker on it and no clear VIN number?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

Had to be made overseas, didn't they not start making Goldwings here until 1979 or 1980? I may have something mixed up...

Raymond
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

I think '80 was the last Japanese-made Goldwing. Starting in '81 they made them in the states.

Yours was probably made for the Canadian or another non-US market.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I think '80 was the last Japanese-made Goldwing. Starting in '81 they made them in the states.

Yours was probably made for the Canadian or another non-US market.
Yeah that's what I meant by being made overseas but I wasn't very clear....while I think it's kind of cool to have an aberation like that, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to replace with an mph gauge. Anyhow....thanks for all the info guys, hopefully I can return the favor sometime. :coollep:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top