Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Stolen from the web, with a simple cut and paste... Geeez....

With more than 80 percent of Gold Wing production being exported to North America, a vital need arose to build a production plant in the U.S. Although Honda had been building overseas plants for more than 25 years, the move to America in the 1970s was risky. To most consumers, Honda's quality was its strongest selling point, and building in America could jeopardize this hard-earned reputation--not just for the Gold Wing, but for all Honda products for decades to come. Nevertheless, Honda forged ahead, and on September 10, 1979, the first Honda of America Manufacturing (HAM) plant begins production as a group of 64 associates completes the first 10 Honda motorcycles built in Marysville, Ohio. Within three months, Honda's top managers had sufficient confidence in HAM's capabilities to proceed with building an automobile plant in 1979--the first Japanese car builder to do so in the U.S.

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
gaswing wrote:
It's common enough for people to buy new Goldwings after the particular model year is over. I know plenty of people who bought brand new GL1800s last year (2004) that were unsold 2003 models. You get a brand new machine with the current years registration at a cheaper price. In 2002 you could still buy year 2000 GL1500s brand new much cheaper than the newer GL1800. That's just the way it is.
Hey gaswing :stumped: What i have highlighted in red is not politically correct.:baffled: That only applies if the model has been discontinued :byebye:as you have stated about the :15red:but would not apply to the present :18red:unless you were lucky enough to find a (s)dealer who was short of a few bucks. :cussing:

:dance: :18red: :dance:

gaswing is right Redwing. All the UK dealers sell last years models about a grand cheaper than the current year and you get a new registration for the currentt year. They have been doing this for years.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Only the models made in the USA plant got stickers on the steering head with the VIN and model year on them.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
Yeah that's what I meant by being made overseas but I wasn't very clear....while I think it's kind of cool to have an aberation like that, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to replace with an mph gauge. Anyhow....thanks for all the info guys, hopefully I can return the favor sometime. :coollep:
It would make sense just to get a mph speedo. I wonder if a 1978 model would be worth more to a collector than a 78?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the goldwing link. I'm a new 1976 LTD owner. It was my dads and has been sitting for 22 years. Just now starting to restore it.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Romila, you mean to say that there isn't even a fuel gauge in the center of the false tank lid? 75-77 had a single fuel gauge there, in 78 they went to the triple gauge cluster on the plastic tank top.

Odd that the VIN matches up, but the year is incorrect.

Axel, you are partially correct. Honda produced Wings in both Japan and the US in 80.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.