Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some research and it seems many use ATF for fork oil. Thought that would be easy enough. Not so fast. I have found ATF that ranges in viscosity from SAE 2.5W to SAE 15w and higher. Experienced suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am using it with my new progressive springs and shocks.

·
Administrator
25,750 Posts
Back in "the day" Honda cars used whatever version of Dexron® was in use at the time. That is until Honda decided to start selling their own brand, which I assume the original version was also just Dexron®. My guess is the ATF recommended for fork oil was the same thing. I have a good supply of genuine Honda ATF I use in most everything.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to just go buy the DexronIII MerconV and give it a try. It isn't that difficult to change if necessary. Thanks Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
That's what I'm using in all the bikes. Didn't know there were viscosity choices. Dexron seems to work fine.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
That is what I have been using for a few years also. Works well for me.

·
Administrator
22,376 Posts
I must be some kind of crazy. I use fork oil in my forks. Engine oil in my engine. Final drive oil in the final drive. And transmission oil in my car's automatic transmission.

Next thing you know I'll be getting water out of the faucet or some other nutty stunt.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
I must be some kind of crazy. I use fork oil in my forks. Engine oil in my engine. Final drive oil in the final drive. And transmission oil in my car's automatic transmission.

Next thing you know I'll be getting water out of the faucet or some other nutty stunt.
Now that you mention it Dennis, that does sound kind of weird! :laugh: Why would you go to the trouble of getting fork oil for the forks when you have the ATF right there on the shelf. :ROFL:
Next you will be telling us you use motorcycle tires on your motorcycle!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I must be crazy too, I use 15W fork oil.

Reactions: WingRider101+

·
Administrator
25,750 Posts
I must be some kind of crazy. I use fork oil in my forks.
I guess you never read the service manual? You of all people who always advocates using what Honda says to use. :ROFL:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Most pink oil is 7w to 15 w anyway. If Pink is your color. if you dont like the ride you can drain some of it out and add some thicker pink tractor fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Ok, I dont read service manuals so my question is:at what is the interval for the oil in the forks to be changed. Can the average Peter do that with the average tools? Are there any other parts that need changing at that time?
I had the steering bearing changed to a tapered one in about 2014. Does that mean the oil was changed too? Thanks

·
Administrator
25,750 Posts
Ok, I dont read service manuals so my question is:at what is the interval for the oil in the forks to be changed. Can the average Peter do that with the average tools? Are there any other parts that need changing at that time?
I had the steering bearing changed to a tapered one in about 2014. Does that mean the oil was changed too? Thanks
They don't have a service interval, or a drain plug (1800s). I guess you are supposed to do it when you have to replace the seals. I put drain plugs in mine, changed it recently then the seals started seeping. No, changing the bearings does not require changing the fork oil.

Reactions: Peter Goldwing

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Yeah, but when I put Progressives in, the dynamics of the system changed and I needed a more specific viscosity to correctly dampen the new spring rate.
Whoa! What is this? Dennis used some non OEM parts on his motorcycle? Now you have to compensate by using some non OEM fork oil. :ROFL:

Reactions: Dodge and DaveO430

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
When I put Progressive springs in my 76 forks, it was recommended I use 20 wt fork oil. I tried atf, was harsh, put in 20 wt fork oil, much better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This discussion reminds me of the time i stopped into a Harley dealer to pick up fork oil for my (then) ride, a Yamaha XS1100. Viscosity wasn't listed on the bottle, so i asked the clerk what the viscosity was. His response was "if your bike is not a Harley this oil won't work":ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Whoa! What is this? Dennis used some non OEM parts on his motorcycle? Now you have to compensate by using some non OEM fork oil. :ROFL:
Slow down. He may have bought it at a Honda dealer. I know I did.....

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Ok, I don't care what he uses in his forks. I was just poking a little fun at him. The service manual does say to put ATF in the forks though, at least in the 84 manual I have. Maybe his 87 is different. If you have Progressive springs though, I would use what they recommend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts