Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First let me say – I really enjoy the sharing of information and just downright helpful spirit I find on this forum…hopefully someday I can help someone.

Now for my problem, I have a 1980 GL1100I that while sitting for the last few years was started monthly and had Stabil in the gas, toward the last year it was not even started. I received it in July of this year; it was last plated in ’09. After putting in a new battery, it started right up and ran well. My uncle who had the bike was a certified mechanic so I knew the oil and other vitals were changed as should be. He just could not ride it anymore.

I decided to ride it around the rest of this season; I just had major knee surgery two weeks before bringing it home thanks to my son-in-law’s help. Starting in early September the doctor said I could start to do my normal routine to date no problems until yesterday. I had been riding about 2 hours and decided to go up to the lake to see my mom and just slowly cruise around the lake, it has no public access and only landowners or family can get past the gatehouse – a nice relaxing place to ride. As I rode around relaxing, I ran into a friend, turned off the Goldwing and walked over to look at the remodeling he was doing. Decided to leave and uh-oh - lights, warning lights and click-click. Fortunately, for me I was on a slight hill, I turned it around and coasted down to get ‘er started.

Jump to today, thinking it was a fluke I tried to start it and same thing… even after charging….same thing. Now I am not an expert by any means and this has me thoroughly confused and a little worried – this Wednesday it is supposed to be 77 and sunny – I had plans. :grin: UPDATE - I located where the sound is from - it is from the booted "fuseblock" located to the right of the battery - toward the rear wheel, I hope this helps.
Any suggestions would be welcome – thanks.

One last question, I am planning on buying a battery tender – any brands to avoid, or I guess I should say any brands to look for.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
Jump the battery with a car battery, and if that doesn't do it, jump the relay itself. If still nothing, it must be the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
It sounds to me as if you don't have enough "punch" to turn the starter over..Firstly, batteries are not forever things ... even brand new ones ... I would remove the battery, take it out to a proper battery dealer, and have it load tested ...

I once bought a new one, and it went " Flat " within a month because one cell had not been completely filled at purchase ...

Clean up all the battery post, starter posts, etc till they shine when you re-install it.
Take a look at the almost hidden braided ground strap as well... Mine was an interesting green with white speckles after 20 years.. and I read somewhere that green coppery corrosion does not conduct very well...LOL

Secondly, old starters often have 25 years of black carbon INSIDE them from the brushes, and often can go for another 25 with a good (inside) cleaning and new brushes... and a bench test .

But the click-click-click ?
hmmmm....
Mine did that one fall... it turned out to be gunge in the starter pawl... and adding about a quart of marvel Mystery Oil, or Seafoam, to the oil and taking it for a 100 mile ride and changing the oil will do wonders for that ... Might have to do it twice ...

You will be disgusted when you drain it , at what MMO or Seafoam drags out of all your oil channels and starter pawl gears... YUCK !!

SilverDave

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Silverdave offers some good suggestions. I'll add a couple of things to try:

Make absolutely sure that the bike is at least in neutral if you jump across the solenoid. If it's in gear and it does try to start, you could be in trouble, the least of which is just having the lay over.

While holding the start switch in, lightly tap the starter.The brushes might be stuck and they might free up doing this. However, a starter rebuild might be in order.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Sounds be sure to check batter connections, and all electrical leading to solinoid. It is somewhere between the battery and starter. The battery tender is a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.