Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I connect the battery I get a small spark as the negative leadgoes on. I would guess that the bike's clock and maybe some other stuff must be drawing a small current all the time but wondered whether this small spark is normal?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

It is "Normal" for a small spark if you have a radio with memory and a clock. However I would still hook up a meter in series and check the amp draw to verify it is next to nothing. And when you say "hook it up", It wasn't to replace due to being dead ????

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Pryotex. I was replacing the battery after it went dead but I had left the ignition on for a few days and hope that was the only cause of it dying. Until then, the battery had always been fine but I will get a meter to check it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

It's common for it to spit a little when hooking up a battery. Your clock and some other items start drawing as soon as you hook the leads up.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I put a meter across it and it was drawing 0.01 amps with the ignition off so all well and good. I now think the spark when connecting the neg lead is that for the first couple of seconds the radio pulls a current to set itself.
I'm checking the battery while off the bike over a couple of days as I still think it a little strange that it ran down to absolutely nothing in 3 to 4 days with the ignition switch left on the number one position. Thanks for the advice it was a big help.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Nope, totally normal. The battery is BARELY enough to start our 1500's. Glad we don't have points, or else it woulda welded them closed! jimsjinx

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

John J wrote:
I put a meter across it and it was drawing 0.01 amps with the ignition off so all well and good.
Not so. The max is 0.005 amps. Your meter may not have the resolution to show you that when using the amps scale. You could be pulling as much as 0.019 amps and still see 0.01 on the meter.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

You are right Rudy but isn't anything under 0.02 amps ok? For example, a typical interior light bulb for a car would show something like 1.7amps being drawn

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

John J wrote:
You are right Rudy but isn't anything under 0.02 amps ok? For example, a typical interior light bulb for a car would show something like 1.7amps being drawn
As long as it is under .005 amps it is. That is the Honda max drain specification.

More drain current simply means less time until battery discharge.
If you are happy with the amount of time your battery stays above 12 volts when sitting uncharged, then it is fine.

Some guys get upset when they can't start the bike after 3 weeks sitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.