Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This bike has 58,000 miles on it, and I'm dealing with the second owner. I used to have an 81 1100, and loved it. I have a few questions; Can the stator on a 1985 be replaced with an alternator to prevent having to remove the engine? Since the bike is an older fuel injected engine is there anything I need to take note of there? Can the front fork seals be replaced with the forks on the bike?, How hard is it to adjust the valves? Lastly, can anything that resembles stock exhaust be had for this bike? I know Matod made pipes very similar to originals for the 81 I used to have. Any other experienced input would be greatly appreciated. He's asking 2500.00 for it which I know is a lot, but cosmetically, it's in very good condition. Thanks in advance!

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome Bill.

The LTD in my opinion is one the best earlier model GoldWings ever built.

You can put an alternator on these bikes with a PoorBoy Kit. There's a lot of good info here on that change out, along with a couple other sites. I am thinking of gathering some of the necessary components so that if my stator ever goes, I'll be ready, or if I can get it all together, go ahead and make the change.

I have changed out fork seals a couple of times on mine, ad always pulled the forks off the bike, it's just a couple screws to loosen and makes the whole seal change and internal inspection much easier.

Valves to my knowledge, never need adjusting on this bike. The fuel injection as long as it's working properly, is GREAT!!!! hoses dry out and most can be replaced if needed. There is a computer unit under the back trunk with lights that will blink to show any issues. They are on the left hand side of the bike, under the trunk and not all lights are visible as the bracket that holds the unit hides a couple.

$2500 isn't too bad for that bike if it's in good mechanical condition now, mileage is low. You can also start at $2K and see what happens.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out..

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The LTD with the cruise control and fuel injection does not easily convert to an alternator.

$2,500 for a well-running LTD with 58k miles is a great price. No two ways about it.

The fuel injection works well, and there are few reported problems. If it were my LTD (and I've owned several) I'd be sure to regularly give it fuel injector cleaner (every few tankfuls), and don't let it sit in the winter without a monthly start/heat cycle.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The belts themselves wouldn't be the same, but the procedure for changing them would be about the same. I got my Gates belts on EBay for $35 for the set, New.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, they don't like to sit, that's for sure. Mine's got 117,000 and counting and it runs like a top, hot or cold (ok, cold causes some issues, but not mechanical). I do have a couple electrical gremlins (back to the cold thing), but most of those are the PO's fault, not the bike's. The beauty of the injection is you never have to mess with stuck floats or balancing. Take a good peek at the condition of the rubber on the bike, tracking down a vacuum leak on that system might not be a lot of fun.

The valveshave "self adjusting" hydrolic lifters, there ain't much you cando there. If it's got a bad stator, the poorboy is definately the way to go, at least that's where I'm goin' if mine ever goes out.

Basically, as long asone of the previous owners didn'tgetin over his head with back country electrical "fixes" and it hasn't spent a lot of time instorage (especially outside storage)it sounds like a great bike. I "paid" about1250 for mine, it had been sitting five years, not properly stored and had some bad electrical work done to it.All-in it wound up costing me 2600 total, so another 1400 bucks is basically what it took to get mine up to speed. ASSUMING that bike is already in good condition (tires, electrical, mechanical, cosmetic) 2500 is a pretty good price. But you may want to consider taking any repairs it needs and chunking the cost out of the 2500 because the bike'll probably never be worth more than about 3,000 (at least in today's market).

The buyers guide on this site is a fantastic resource to print off and take with you when you inspect the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
The beauty of the injection is you never have to mess with stuck floats or balancing.
Errrrr. Wrong answer...

Insert 50 cents to try again?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I know theres a balance screw on the injected models but I have yet to find a thread were it was an issue of being out of adjustment unless someone put it out of adjustment by messing with it when they weren't suppose to.

Under what other conditions would one have to ever balance the fuel system on these? I was thinking of this the other day when there was a thread on setting the idle, and there was a warning from someone not to ever turn this screw by mistake.......... Who was that?????:D

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Errrrr. Wrong answer...

:?Ok, first off, I'm a college student, 50 cents is a little steep, let's bring the price down :ROFL:. But seriously, DO they need balancing?Mine hasn't needed it, even after it's storage.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You *should* be using good ole-fashioned 2-gauge carb balancers, and be balancing left to right - every 8k miles is the interval if my memory serves me correctly.

It's 1/3 of the work that the carb'd models require. You simply warm up the bike, remove the two screws out of the two rear intakes and replace them with the tube adapters for the sync gauges.

Just breathe on the adjuster screw if it's slightly out.

Every LTD I've ever seen had them a little outta wack, and it was a noticeable improvement when they were dead-on.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Boy, learn something every day on this forum, I'll have to add that to my maintenance list.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Errrrr. Wrong answer...

:?Ok, first off, I'm a college student, 50 cents is a little steep, let's bring the price down :ROFL:. But seriously, DO they need balancing?Mine hasn't needed it, even after it's storage.
For a starving college student (I was one, too, ya know) all my well-thought advice is free. ;)

I'm not saying that your bike NEEDS balancing, but it's a procedure that Mother Honda put in, and the adjuster sure-as-shootin is there. And each one I've ever seen needed a little "touch-up" to really purr like it shoud.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Well thanks for that, I never knew either. With almost 15K on the odometer now, I had better start looking for a double set of gauges. I was going to get a set anyways, my sons shadow needs balancing pretty bad.

Thanks rgbeard! :claps::claps::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Now that the balancing is done, let's not detract from the original poster's question - yep these things rock.

I love an LTD, and there's plenty of help on here if you have a difficulty.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The LTD will spoil you from any other bike. You'll never have to wait for your bike to warm up before you take off, no choke to worry about, no petcock to turn on and off each time you stop and start. You'll always know what gear you in (even though I still miss a couple every now and then). The air adjust ride is great and cruise control works like the one in your car instead of the locking throttle type, not that they are bad. The trip computer that tells you everything you need to know when taking a trip or wanting to know your fuel economy or how many more miles left till empty. The auto shut off on the turn signals is awesome..... riding my sons bike I constantly forget to turn them off. I love my LTD.... I don't ever want it to wear out...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

I too really enjoy my LTD and am extremaly pleased with the fuel injection, if i get newer bike some day will look for injection.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks all for the helpful replies. If this forum is any indicator of G/W camaraderie; I'll be joining up with a great bunch of folks.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

bjstone wrote:
Thanks all for the helpful replies. If this forum is any indicator of G/W camaraderie; I'll be joining up with a great bunch of folks.
Welcome, just a side note.

The 85 LTD and the 86 SEI are the same bikes. Parts from eighter year will work from both bikes. Only two bikes that had fuel injection in the 80's.

Kurt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.