Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

HI FOLKS:
Wish to keep road grime off engine bottom. One glitch I can see: Mustremove to use motorcycle jack or will be crushed. Just wanted to read pros/cons on use.

TTFN.....Old Tom

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I put one on my 98 it keep the bottom of the motor cleaner and was pleasantly surprised to find it also helped with the sidewind "push" and trailer truck turbulence.

As for pros, keeps the bottom of my engine cleaner and the dents mean it has also protected from thrown objects. It also fits snugly under the engine and is thin so it just flexes a little when bike is jacked up - no need to remove it. If you get the two piece, the front part can be easily removed (3 screws) for oil filter changes (doesn't matter if you take the lower cowl off). Takes about 15 minutes to install with a small (about 8mm) socket. Does not increase engine temps.

Cons, none unless you get the older one piece design and then you'll have to remove it or the lower cowl to change the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

THANKS SPONDULAS!

Took your sage advice. 2-piece pancomin' right up from Venco Wings. TTFN..Old Tom

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I agree with Spondulas. Put a 2 piece pan on my '99 SE this spring and it's cleaner and I too notice less sidewing push. You're gonna like it .

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

papasmurf wrote:
THANKS SPONDULAS!

Took your sage advice. 2-piece pancomin' right up from Venco Wings. TTFN..Old Tom
Tom,

Why is it that I only see the Tulsa one piece belly pan on Venco's site? What am I doing wrong? Any chance of a link to where you found it?

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Ed,

Not sure why the Venco site only shows the one piece unit picture (probably obsolete picture). I got my two piece unit from them about 6 years ago. If you want to order one, you might call them and verify you will be getting a two piece unit. They are a small family owned operation so you will likely either speak with the owner (Jim) or his wife (Sue). Both are super people to deal with.

The one piece was the original style. Probably not many of them left but mentioned it only to warn buyers to be wary of used or left over stock with lower prices.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

HI ED:

Do a little research on Venco site by looking up Tulsa in vendors list. The1500 belly pan will come up.It states there's2-piece kit available[which I'm buying]. It comes with Dzus fasteners/ extra front panel. Youcut front of main pan per instructions, drill 3 holes, attach new front panel[now removable for oil filter changes]. TTFN.....Old Tom
P.S. It's entirely possible that, by now, Tulsa is shipping the 15002-piece to Jim and owner modification is no longer necessary. Will be able to post more info when I go out there later today[only live about 15 mile south of 'em].

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I gotta ask...what the heck is road grime? I looked under my bike and its as clean (or dirty) as the rest of my bike.

And how much sidewind push is this thing relieving that you can feel the difference?

Al

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

You guys are great and Thank You very much! I'm going to order the two piece.

By the way, "Road Grime" in my opinion is anything that doesn't belong on the road and is thrown up on the bottom of the crankcase by the front tirelike shale mud andall of the rubber dust, dirtand oil that ends up on the road from other vehicles. Anyone that doesn't have an ugly bottom to their crankcase from road grime has never visited Northeast Pennsylvania, that's for sure!

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I thought you were using that thing for a dirt bike or something. :action:

My buddy's Valkrie had a short fender and stuff used to kickup onto the naked engine (in fact he knew another Valkrie guy that would cut the lid off hisfavorite beer and slip it over the oil filter because stuff would kick up and hit it, so it was added protection. My Wings fender is real low in back with a chrome piece that extends it. Maybe that's why i'm not getting any kickback onto the engine.Them gravel parking lots at the lakes are a motherthough.

Al

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

"And how much sidewind push is this thing relieving that you can feel the difference?"

I'm not sure how to quantify the amount. I moved from an 85 Aspencade to the used 98 SE. When I bought the 98, I just drove it home (about 200 miles) on a calm, sunny Spring day and had a very enjoyable ride. A few days later, I went on a 250 mile ride with some friends. That day it was mild to moderately windy (wind about 5-7 mph with gusts to about 15 mph). Every gust of wind that hit the bike in the side would move it approximately half the width of the driving lane. It felt like it was just skating out from under me and was unnerving.

I read on another forum about the belly pan and bought one from Venco. I immediately noticed that mild to moderate side winds no longer affected the bike and only the strongest gusts made it feel like it used to. I can't see any rationale reason for the difference since the pan is horizontal under the bike but my backside can sure tell the difference.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure how to quantify the amount. I moved from an 85 Aspencade to the used 98 SE. When I bought the 98, I just drove it home (about 200 miles) on a calm, sunny Spring day and had a very enjoyable ride. A few days later, I went on a 250 mile ride with some friends. That day it was mild to moderately windy (wind about 5-7 mph with gusts to about 15 mph). Every gust of wind that hit the bike in the side would move it approximately half the width of the driving lane. It felt like it was just skating out from under me and was unnerving.
Dude if a belly pan fixed control problems you say you had with 15 MPH side gusts, god bless that Wing & you. I hope the pan solves all your riding problems, ride safe.

Al

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I'd like to hear some opinions from you prairie dwellers out there that have belly pans. Are they as effective as advertised out there on the bald prairie. Anything that helps beat back those crosswinds would be a welcome relief!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.