1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We did almost the same route in 2005 (I think), we had crossed from home to SS Marie across the Dakota's up to Regina SK, out to Vancouver, Victoria BC., down the Pacific Coast to Eureka, across to Redding then up to Burns, followed your route except for doing the Beartooth & back down to Cody, Is they where the "Buffalo Bill" museum is, that was the best 4 hours I've ever spent in a Museum I know it's out there somewhere . I 'd do it again with pleasure, best way to study geography I ever found. :action::action::action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

2 or 4 wheels ..... camping or hotels and what time of year?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'd do it on the Wee, not sure about the time of year, maybe early september... I am familiar with all of it from prior cage runs...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Interesting looking ride. I am going to ride, with the friend (BIL) that I went to Alaska with last summer, to Belle Foushe, SD so he can attend his class reunion. I will continue on to visit some friends in Omaha. But this looks like a great route to avoid most of the freeway slabs.

Do these road have restrictions on in the summer? All ok for the wing? As you can tell, I think a lot of your proposed route, might do it myself. Thanks, Steve

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Although some what longer, I'd recommend this route, as it is a far more interesting/scenic route, with great camping at the pointers. (soak in Hot Springs at "D")

http://g.co/maps/pa5yx

Trouble with Google Maps link ... see below for working link and description of route

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Although some what longer, I'd recommend this route, as it is a far more interesting/scenic route, with great camping at the pointers. (soak in Hot Springs at "D")

:? 404 :?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Dusty Boots wrote:

:? 404 :?
Thanks, Bob. Darn Google Maps has bee acting up a lot lately! Grrr! :lash:

I'll do it again and use the long link this time. Shessh! :waiting:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Well you should know where short cut's get ya:?
Got my Goodyear on the rim today .................:action::action::action:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

The wife and I did a similar route a few years ago. Instead of 20 we took 26 out of Prineville and then caught 7 up towards Baker City. Camped at Phillips Lake. Very beautiful all the way to Baker City. If you take 26 you could skip the 7 leg and meet back up with your original route with 20 in Vale.

The area after the Craters of the Moon is hot dry and somewhat desolate. Make sure to check out the Craters of the Moon... Interesting Volcanic area!!

After you pass Arco you will be in the Idaho National Laboratory. Very Boring Driving!! This is the area of Idaho reserved for Nuclear Research and Testing. Do not stray off the main roads, security is pretty tight. I used to have to go into there for work and they are not real friendly when you are where you are not supposed to be.

Once you get past Idaho Falls the scenery starts getting better. And as you know by the time you get into Wyoming the scenery is fantastic!!

Enjoy the trip!!

Henry

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Well, let's try it again.

I was talking about this Route.

That seems to have got it. :sleepy:

You head on up 126, over to 242 and take the McKenzie Hwy for a great view of the Three Sisters, before dropping down into the town of Sisters, OR. and hook up with 126 again. Continue heading east on 126/26 until just north of Unity, OR., where you head north on 245 for a couple of miles and spend the night at Unity Lake State Recreation Site. ( use the heated Handicap Showers and not the Solar Showers if using them 1st thing in the morning Brrr!)

Continue on towards Baker City and pick up 86, heading over to Halfway. Once past there, you head up a 'draw', following N Pine Rd, which soon turns into Nat Forest Rd 39, a real beaut, as it ascends up into Hells Canyon National Rec Area,over a pass, with a short side trip to an overlook of Hells Canyon, then descends to the towns of Joseph and Enterprise, where you pick up 3 north, which turns into 129 at the WA state line and plunges down into Rattlesnake Canyon. Weeeeee ... what a blast riding briskly down to the bottom carving the twisties and then winding your way back up and out, arriving eventually at the mouth of the Snake river and the confluence of the Clearwater River, in Clarkston. You then pick up US12 and head east, along the raging Clearwater, past Orofino and make camp at the Lewis-Clark ResortCampground. (Great and inexpensive campground with all the amenities! $10/night)

When you pull out of the campground, there's a gas station just ahead, on your left. You'll want to fill up there, as gas ahead of you is plenty scarce, as you are about to head up and over Lolo Pass, with all it's fast sweepers. Once you crest over the Pass at the ID/MT state line, you'll soon pass by Lolo Hot Springs on your left. Idaho is known for it's abundance of Hot Springs. Once you come to the end of US12 at the town of Lolo, fill up and head south along 93. You'll head up and over Lost Trail Pass and once again, the MT/ID state line, dropping once more into Idaho. The traffic has thinned out, as you carve your way along winding river valleys, towards the towns of Salmon and Challis, where you leave 93 and pick up 75, bound for Stanley and Ketchum, but still carving along those sweepers in the river valleys. Just past Sunbeam Hot Springs, you see a natural Hot Spring right beside the road on your right. Fill up with gas in Stanley, before you head up and over Galena Pass and head down to your campsite for the night, right by Easley Hot Springs. ($7 in 09), or at the nearby Wood River Campground,, just a couple of miles further, towards Ketchum.

Next morning, head through Ketchum (keep an eye out for Robert Redford) and continue on to 20, where you'll emerge from the valleys of the past 2 days, onto a vast expanse of basalt flats, riding past Craters Of the Moon Nat Park. As you ride past Arco,towards Idaho Falls, you can't help but notice the 3 extinct volcano cones on your right. Another reminder of how 'active' this area once was. Once through Idaho Falls, stillon 20, you're on your way to Jackson, WY, before heading for the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone NP, which areboth 'Wonders'!You head out of Yellowstone via US 14/16/20,through the East Gate and down over Sylvan Pass, heading for your campground at Newton Creek, alongside of the Shoshone River. (make sure you store your food etc, in the bear boxes provided at every campsite. Grizzly bears in the area)

Next morning, you continue heading east along 14/16/20, into Cody, WY, past the Buffalo Bill Reservoir and dam. Stop in at the Buffalo Bill Museum, a very worthwhile stop. You then head out of Cody, starting up 120, but you soon hang a left onto 296 and the start of some of the greatest roads to ride, which should be on everybody's 'Bucket List, the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway andthe Beartooth Highway. You start out ascending to the top of Dead Indian Pass ( make sure you stop at the overlook) before you wind your way down to the bottom and then slowly gain back some altitude, with the 'Bear's Tooth coming into plain view, just as you are about toturn right on US 212, the Beartooth Highway and climb up and over Beartooth pass(10,947'), before gliding down into the town of Red Lodge, where you make your turn onto 308, followed shortly by a left turn on 72 and finally a right on 310, which you follow all the way down to Greybull.

Dusty

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I like that route Dusty, it covers a lot of roads I've been on and I can verify they are great motorcycle roads.

Dick if you have the time and the extra gas money go for it!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.