Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
New guy here and thank you for everything you have already done in other topics even before I joined to the forum. I have a 1200 Goldwing 86 and there’s this tapping maybe rattling but more like and accelerated tapping that follows the same rpm of the engine even in neutral. Since to come from the center of the engine. I just got a stethoscope and will try to find location of sound but I will also check the clearance with the gauge at the collar in the valve case as per describe in clymer. I tried to find a similar case to mine in the website but not his yet, does this sound familiar to any of you? Bike runs great(except for the noise)! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
Isolating the position source of the noise is a good start.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Did it just start the noise?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Hey Guys
New guy here and thank you for everything you have already done in other topics even before I joined to the forum. I have a 1200 Goldwing 86 and there’s this tapping maybe rattling but more like and accelerated tapping that follows the same rpm of the engine even in neutral. Since to come from the center of the engine. I just got a stethoscope and will try to find location of sound but I will also check the clearance with the gauge at the collar in the valve case as per describe in Clymer. I tried to find a similar case to mine in the website but not his yet, does this sound familiar to any of you? Bike runs great(except for the noise)! Thank you!
Hello Alas,
Welcome to the forum,

just curious, your IP address "seems to" indicate you are from around the Buffalo, NY area,
is that even close? Notice you are using a T-Mobile internet connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I’m visiting family in west Chazy but I live down in key west FL.
The bike came with the noise, it sat for a couple of years. I thought first could it be a stuck valve but today I was spinning the crankshaft by hand while I was changing the timing belts so I took the covers off and all eight valves where moving.

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
The hydraulic adjusters can collapse and take a long time to pump back up. How long did you run the engine? If the noise seems to radiate from the right or left valve cover it might just take some run time?????

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Actually I’m visiting family in west Chazy but I live down in key west FL.
The bike came with the noise, it sat for a couple of years. I thought first could it be a stuck valve but today I was spinning the crankshaft by hand while I was changing the timing belts so I took the covers off and all eight valves where moving.
I bought a '94SE that had sat up for 3 years at least.....
the lifters were all flat on the valves that were compressed....

I dumped in 4oz of Sea Foam in the oil, and rode it for a while until they finally turned loose and started working again. then all the "Clattering noises" went away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. And thank you guys once more.
Using stethoscope seems the noise is coming from the section were the U joint is, it’s louder there but it echoes all the way to the center of the engine. I just change the timing belts and I hear a little soft slapping so I opened up again and tightened more and still up to clymers specs 3 to 5mm slack. I wonder if it will just go away at some point. Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
Not unheard of for a uj to go just rare
Bryan,
Might not have read his original post good enough. U-joint would not make noise in neutral or be tied directly to engine RPM. In gear running with the clutch pulled in does it still make noise?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bryan,
Might not have read his original post good enough. U-joint would not make noise in neutral or be tied directly to engine RPM.
U Joint won’t make noise in neutral??! Ok that makes completely sense because the tapping accelerate with throttle in neutral too! Thank you. I’m going back to the drawing board now.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If it’s not SE,it might need the carbs sync,the primary chain is kinda in that area,how many miles on it,can you do video?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just synced the carbs I have Seafoam on crank case but did not ride the bike for miles yet :(. But here is the video link! Thank you for all the help!

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
U Joint won’t make noise in neutral??! Ok that makes completely sense because the tapping accelerate with throttle in neutral too! Thank you. I’m going back to the drawing board now.
Did you check for possible exhaust leak where the header and head meet?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Wow that’s loud. Huum.spark plug wires crossed,causing chain to rattle,carb sync would be off too,how long has it done that

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Check the alternator cap and see if that bolt that holds the alternator has backed out,not much ther to make that noise

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check the alternator cap and see if that bolt that holds the alternator has backed out,not much ther to make that noise
Ok thank you I’ll check on all the tips tomorrow and report back. Except for the one on the leak between head and heather, I gonna have to Learn or google how to do that, but I’ll try;)
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There’s a copper gasket that goes between the header pipe and the head,,might check the header bolt for being tight.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Hope it’s simple,👍👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts