Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to clean up the connector block under the left side cover. That's the one I think causes the stator problems. The stator was replaced4 years ago, and the bike works fine. I'm of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it " school, but the connector looks pretty dirty. I plan to clean it up with contact cleaner, and stuff it with Dielectric grease. I have neve done anything electrical on this bike before.

Is that how most people do it, aside from cutting out the block and soldering the wires together?

Thanks

Grant

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

the best thing to do is cut the wires at the connector and hard wire them using solder and heat shrink tubing,the connectors will break down eventially and cause you problems

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Newfiewinger

You really are going to waste your time just cleaning up the Stator connectors, eventually the connector blockWILL start to overheat and melt shorting out your Stator.

Save money/time and your stator in the nearfuture by soldering these three wires and insulating them properly.

If your not convinced, search for stator/wiring problems in the search box.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info. I think the soldering of the wires has already been done. There is a wiring harness with shrink wrap on it running right by the front of the battery. There is another connector that has a yellow and blue wire in it ( its hard to see the othe colours of the wires ). I don't think that is the stator wires. They should be 3 yellow I believe.

What I am now wondering is, was there 2 connectors to the left of the battery on the 84 ASP, and was the closest one to the battery the stator wires. My Haynes manual isn't much help with this. I want to be really sure before I do this and if I can't figure it out I'll bring it over to the Honda dealer.

Thanks for all the info people.

Grant

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Yes, there are two cinnectors to the right of the battery as viewed from the front. far left is the dreaded stator connection that should, make that must be eliminated. I will check tonight to see where the other one goes

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

yes, please do that, I too have an 84 aspy and am concerned about this electrical issue, I dread having to replace my stator and anything I can do to prevent it's failure would be money and time well spend.

thanks, we'll be watching for your response.

S

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

the ones next to the stator wires are for the pick up coils these are located on the back of the motor on the 1984 model hope that clears it up for you

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Hi, Newfiewinger. Ok my last post was a bit off. When looking at the battery the two connectors to the left of the battery are the stator wires(3 prong connector-yellow wires), and the pulse generator wires(4-prong connectors).At a minimum I would remove the 3 prong connectors and solder the wires. Better yet buy what's called an EC Harness (about 50dollars US). It replaces the wires from the stator to the regulator block,and also sends full voltage to the ign. coils. I bought mine from Jim Venne at Vencowings.Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.http://www.vencowings.com 1-888-648-3626. The other connector does not pose a problem, but I can't think some dielec grease would hurt. The other potential trouble spot is the dogbone shaped main fuse to the right of the battery. It corrodes over time and can create trouble. Most guys recommend bypassing the dogbone fuse and installing an auto or marine style blade fuse 30 amp I believe. I simply, for now just replaced it with a fresh Honda fuse. Lastly I believe there is another dogbone fuse hidden behind the first one but I haven't dug that deep yet. Maybe someone else can confirm or dispell this. If your going fishing in the elec. dept. I would highly recommend a Honda service manual they arenot expensive and much better than the other ones. Sorry for the long posting. George

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the info, the stator has been hard wired, but not the pulse generators. The fuse was replaced with a 30 amp auto type fuse in a sealed case.

I think I will hard wire the pulse gen's as a precautionary measure, though I've cleaned all this area up quite a bit ( a week of heavy rain creates a certain amount of free time!! ). I'm also goingto take a look at the EC harness.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Grant

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I can only add one thing. When you hardwire connections, soldering them together, it is important to use heat shrink tubing to seal the solder connection. This can be dangerous in the area we are talking about. Be sure to remove the battery and have it a long distance away from the operation. The next thing you MUST think about is the fuel tank. If you are using heat shrink tubing in the area where the stator wires are hard wired it is really, really close to the fuel tank. If you heat the heat shrink tubing to shrink it with either a heat gun or propane igniter this could be dangerous. I shrank mine using my soldering iron. I kept going over and over the heat shrink tubing with my soldering iron until the heat shrink shrunk!! I'm a boat mechanic and always use heat shrink tubing that has adhesive inside. This is not absolutely necessary on a motorcycle but it adds a little bit more security. When the heat shrink tubing is shrunk properly a little bit of adhesive leaks out the end of the heat shrink. WHATEVER you do, don't wrap electrical tape around your soldered connections. Electrical tape erodes and decays and unwraps. Eventually it will allow a short circuit. Always use heat shrink when soldering a wire together. I go to the extreme to use heat shrink tubing on ALL connections. If I crimp on a connector I use heat shrink tubing on it to ensure it will never come apart. Hope this helps, Peter

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Its does, in fact the stator wire are soldered and as you said, wraped in electrical tape. I am putting shrink wrap on the wires asap. You're the second person to suggest that to me. Thanks.

Grant

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

When in a pinch and can't use heat shrink tubing, I've used electrical tape, with nylon wire ties wrapped around the ends and in the middle. Keeps the tape from unraveling when the adhesive dries out/melts (which it will), and keeps things insulated like they should be. Been using this method for years, and it hasn't failed me yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.