Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First let me say that I apologize if this topic is old news and redundant. And then let me say, thank you to all that reply.

I have a 93 Aspencade that I am truly enjoying, however, I miss the sound that I had with my Shadow 750 ACE. I punched out the baffles and adjusted the idle mixtures to compensate. It gave the bike a nice rap when getting on it, but it was not obnoxious and still had a quiet idle.

That sound is what I would like to recreate with the Wing. I don't suppose I should mess with the existing, good condition mufflers. My question then is what aftermarket mufflers would give me that sound and are there any carb mods necessary? If anyone could post a sound bite with their system, that would be great. Keep in mind that cost is an issue.

Have a great ride! :thumbsup:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Cobras sound great and look very nice too. Not too loud but just right to my ears.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
imported post

I have the Torqumonster pipes installed in place of the collector box plus Torquemaster Hollywood "shorts" with baffles installed. I like the sound and it doesn't drone at constant highway speeds. As advertised, it does sound something like a Porsche or Ferrari. Getting about the same mileage as before but do enjoy the extra torque at 3000rpm +.

Carl

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

You will not be able to get that sound from your Goldwing. Completely different engine design. The Shadow ACE is a single crankpin v-twin, the Goldwing is a horizontally opposed six. You can make it louder, but it will still have the same sound. Something similar to a Porsche if I remember correctly. I like stock exhausts. The manufacturer designed them for the bike, and they work very well. An aftermarket exhaust will definitely give you a louder sound, but it won't be the sound you are looking for. Also, it will reduce backpressure, which will lean out the air/fuel mixture, which will require carb rejetting to compensate.

Something else you may want to consider, since the Goldwing is a touring bike, is while you may like the noise running around town, it can get downright annoying on long trips, even with earplugs.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

i have a 1999 1500-se, and i run torque master hollywood long's with the torque monster pipes that replace the pre-muffler. the hollywood long's have the 4-inch baffle installed. i love the sound and the extra torque that comes along with these pipes. call [email protected]. he will be glad to help you.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
imported post

No jetting required for my bike and earplugs not needed.
One thing I do like though is that they are loud enough to get people to notice that I'm next to them. Less chance of someone cutting me off.
They are no where near sounding as loud as a HD.

Carl

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

Take a look at this link. It is describing how to install some Harley mufflers on a 1500. They usually can be had for cheap because the Harley guys like to either run straight pipes or some louder than stock mufflers. Post #35 has a link to youtube video of how it sounds (really good).

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/91148-2.html

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

1500 sound great with different exhaust, the harley mufflers are a joke, will never sound like a v-twin

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I heard the youtube link with the HD muffs. Thought it sounded pretty good. Why do you say they are a joke?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Carl,
So what are we looking at for DIY costs for the torquemaster system? Is it possible for you to let me hear them?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

tykub wrote:
No jetting required for my bike and earplugs not needed.
One thing I do like though is that they are loud enough to get people to notice that I'm next to them. Less chance of someone cutting me off.
They are no where near sounding as loud as a HD.

Carl
Why no rejetting? The 1500 has carbs, and anything that lowers the exhaust backpresure will lean out the air/fuel mixture, requiring rejetting to compensate. On the 1800, with digital fuel injection, you would have to use something like a Power Commander to remap the fuel injection from idle to redline. All the new Harleys are coming jetted to lean, and most dealers are remapping them before they sell them. They run so lean, and the engines get so hot, that quite a few have seized.

Earplugs are a personal choice. I have always ridden with stock pipes, and for the past 25 years with a full face helmet, and do not wear earplugs. But I am also an amateur drag racer, and always take earplugs to the track. A 1000 hp engine (no I don't have one) at full throttle with open pipes will blow your eardrums out.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
1500 sound great with different exhaust, the harley mufflers are a joke, will never sound like a v-twin
I don't think any of the guys that have modded the Harley mufflers are trying for a v-twin sound but honestly I can only speak for myself. They are a very economicalsubstitute for the faulty GL1500 mufflers that have a habit of rusting through well before their time. And the ones I used are the factory ones that the Harley guys all take off because they are "too quiet"... But they do add a nice tone to the GL1500's. Nothing like a v-twin nor do you need to wear earplugs when you are within a block of them but a different sound.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

My first set of mufflers rotted away after about 5 years and my second set, with more care (i.e. little riding on salted roads), has about 11 years but is now beginning to sound louder too. The extra noise doesn't bother me too much but I do miss the super quiet stock sound. If I was in the US I would make an offer on those mufflers you find too quiet!

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Here is a clip of my ex-Wing with Jardine pipes and a Basani X-tractor. It had the Jardines on it when I purchased the bike and I added the X-tractor at the same time as rebuilding the carbs and re jetting them.I cannot tell you if it will run lean without re jetting, but I can tell you it ran on the rich side after the rebuild even with the free flow exhaust. I used the K&L kit for '88-'91. Fuel economy went down after the mod. I wasgetting high 30's to low 40's prior and thenaveraged mid30's after the rebuild. I did notice an increase in torque especially at higher rpms.

The so called 'drone' on the highways wasn't an issue for me. I wear a full face helmet 99% of the time and am usually listening to tunes. It's nice to be able to hear the engine while running hard through the twisties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKwmV9zG_Fs

My Valkyrie has stock exhaust andwill remain that way. I felt the Wing needed a personality adjustment, but the Valk stands on it's own.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

A carb mixes fuel with air at a rate depending on the airflow. Yeah I know we have always enrichened for free flowing exhaust , the physics say that more air also means more fuel cuz it is supposed to give a 14.7 -15.2 air fuel mix. therefore should not have to richen. A 2 stoke uses fuel to help cool the combustion chamber.
I put a pair of MAC mufflers on my 1500- $278 from Dennis kirk- and they are a bit louder cuz the pipes ends past the saddlebags, and do NOT have turndowns.=Sounds faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.